Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > New Projects

Old 17th June 2014, 12:54 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Multiple Project addition

As part of our push to clean up the Vault, below is a list of projects that the Vault Admins have looked into and have agreed should be added to the Vault. In accordance with how we typically do things at the DC-Vault, we wanted to give non-admins an opportunity to speak up and state their opinion on either supporting or disagreeing with these additions. Please post your concerns in this thread.

Constellation - Physical Sciences
PrimaBoinca – Mathematics
Numberfields – Mathematics
OGR-28 – Maths
NRG - Bio
MindModeling – Bio

Other projects were considered but either didn't meet requirements, didn't have stability, or didn't feel right for the Vault at this time. We have created a list for future consideration once they iron issues out.

Last edited by Coleslaw; 22nd July 2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Typo in a project name
Old 17th June 2014, 03:10 PM
Ars Technica

Haven't run all of them on the list but the ones I have are solid. Glad to see that the Vault is getting updated. Kudos.
Old 23rd June 2014, 08:35 AM
Neophyte
DPC member

NRG no work

NRG hasn't got work.
http://boinc.med.usherbrooke.ca/nrg/server_status.php
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:34 AM
Grasshopper

They are installing a new server and they said they will be putting new work up after they get it installed, which I believe they said that would be this week or next week.
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:55 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
They are installing a new server and they said they will be putting new work up after they get it installed, which I believe they said that would be this week or next week.
http://boinc.med.usherbrooke.ca/nrg/...wrap=true#4299

Quote:
The new server is currently being set up.
We are actually waiting until it is up and running before sending out new jobs (ETA=~2w).

Keep you in touch.
This was posted 6/12/14 when I inquired about the issue.
Old 23rd June 2014, 08:53 PM
[H]ard|OCP

NRG@home

I have read some peoples concerns in regards to NRG. Feel free to discuss them in these forums so that others may gain from your knowledge. I have been in contact with Francis to try and get some features and concerns ironed out while they are down.

Quote:

Hi,

I have fixed the options that were missing or not functional.
At this right moment, we are limited in the number of tasks we can send.

We cannot guarantee that we will have an infinite number of jobs to send to our fellow users. However, once we have our server up and running, we will be able to send a lot more jobs than what we are used to. In the past, doing a million dockings was hardly feasible due to limitations in the number of contributing users and and limitations on our server-side. We plan on sending millions of them (>10,000,000). We will, of course, make sure that our contributors are not disappointed and will keep creating new jobs.

Thanks a lot for your help in making our project much bigger than our expectations.

Francis.
Old 24th June 2014, 03:21 AM
Grasshopper

Coleslaw that is good to see and hear hopefully they will be able to accomplish it.
Old 26th June 2014, 06:44 PM
[H]ard|OCP

I would like to say that we plan on only giving this until July 1st to be debated upon. At that time, Admins will make final decision on the additions.
Old 27th June 2014, 05:13 PM
Grasshopper

Hmm you may want to wait on NRG until we see if they can do what they say they are going to do. I do like the project description but if they can not produce enough work it can be a bit frustrating to some, just a hypothetical situation but if you take a person like myself with allot of hardware decides to attach to a given project that has limited work they can drain a project of work in a very short time thus making other people/teams have a very hard time trying to compete. I am capable of draining several of the projects in just a couple of hrs which really is not fair in a competition. I do take some steps to prevent this from happening such as limiting my cash to .01 days work or even .00 but that does not always work. There are a few projects that have a max amount of daily work allowed per machine which is fine except some of those can be hacked fairly easily with reporting false core counts.

Now with the above being said I am male and completive I like the competition of teams and will strive to help my team move up in ranking so if a project can not supply enough work for myself and everybody else that wants to run it guess what I am going to do, and how others may feel about it.

If when they get there servers going and they are able to supply a reasonable amount of work and are able meet the Vault rules I myself would go ahead and include them but I think I would wait and see first
Old 10th July 2014, 07:24 AM
Dutch Power Cows

So, 3 of the projects have been added - great! Some concerns about NRG (let's give them some time to fix issues), what about the remaining 2, OGR and Mindmodelling? Any planning if/when they will be added? Or do they have issues as well?
Old 10th July 2014, 12:53 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiK-oz View Post
So, 3 of the projects have been added - great! Some concerns about NRG (let's give them some time to fix issues), what about the remaining 2, OGR and Mindmodelling? Any planning if/when they will be added? Or do they have issues as well?
I sent you a PM.
Old 11th July 2014, 01:34 PM
Ars Technica

I was wondering about the same thing.
Old 13th July 2014, 12:05 PM
Owner

MindModelling.
It has been added to the Vault except the 'file' is inaccessible or I cocked up somewhere. Keeps returning error during processing.

OGR
As you are all aware Nanobot is the code king around these parts but since he retired from the Vault and Team Ninja, adding of non-boinc project has to be down the old fashion way, hard code. I am not a hard coder. To make matters worse, no one seems to have any clue where the keys are, but we are working on it.

Rest assured I am trying to find out a way around this.

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Old 22nd July 2014, 02:56 PM
[H]ard|OCP

NRG

NRG admin Francis gave me an update.

Quote:
Hi Coleslaw,

As I posted in the News sections, unfortunately it is out of my control at the moment but it is in the hands of technicians. We don't have our own technician working for us as technicians deserve the whole University. I asked many times to the tech and the first estimate I had given you was a fair one considering we had told me.
The project won't be up until an extra 2 weeks as I am going in vacation starting from next week and that no one else in my team can set up the BOINC project and maintain it.
Trust me, I would really like to give you an exact date but I won't because I don't want to disrespect it again

I will keep you in touch.
This update was sent to me via PM at the project on 7/20

Last edited by Coleslaw; 22nd July 2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 28th July 2014, 04:33 PM
Dutch Power Cows

I've been keeping an eye on Mindmodelling...they seem to have very little work available (if any) in recent days. Might want to hold back on the project to see if things improve