Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > The Lounge > Computer Hardware

Old 22nd December 2001, 11:39 AM
Ninja Shoi

basic water cooler...

hi guys, i am thinking of making a simple waterblock over the next few days....it will b basically a plate that make contact with the core. on the other side it will have a cavity on it with an inlet and outlet.....the thing is i only have aluminium at home and cant find anywhere that has sheet copper. the question is wud the ally b ok?....and if so wot is the max thickness that it can have....then stuff i have is fairly thick...3mm thick...wud this be ok for use as a base plate?...or is it too thick?...the reason for all this is that the noise or air cooling is doing my head in!!!!

nitan
Old 22nd December 2001, 10:51 PM
Ninja Taisa

sure, 3mm thick aluminum should be just fine for a water block.. ive seen many regular heatsinks with a 3mm base, i would just take care to make ridges on the inside of the water block so that the water has lots of surface area to dissapate heat.
Soundblaster Live Value 512

Dual P2-450@522 (4.5x116) 2.2Vcore Asus P3C-D Rambus
Old 24th December 2001, 09:37 AM
Ninja Shoi

thanks dude, might give it a go when i get some time , i have radiators all i need are pumps and blocks

nitan
Old 24th December 2001, 09:42 AM
Ninja Shosa

3mm will be fine mate, the base material is mainly used as a heat spreader so the thicker the better really. aluminium is very thermally conductive so again it is fine to use as a waterblock material... coppers better but if you don't have it then who cares...

how are you attaching the top to the bottom? i know this sounds dumb but glue might work i was just thinking i could resurect my watercooling be taking my alpha and glueing plastic sides onto it then running the water across the fins.... actually i really like that idea... hummm..... maybe a globalwin wbk would be better as it allready has 2 walls.... well lads i'm off for a tinker this might be quite funky....

dicki
Old 24th December 2001, 07:52 PM
Ninja Taisa

seems almost idoitically simple.. and in fact any stock hsf would work nicely as you describe dicki.. only problem is how to attach heatsink to mobo... as you have to seal off where the clamp would normally exist....
Old 24th December 2001, 09:43 PM
Ninja Shosa

well i was thinking of extending the lid of the box i build around the heatsink so that i can drill holes in it and mount it through the holes in the motherboard that way i can seal the holes where the clips are and not rely on the shoddy clip mounting mechanism
Old 25th December 2001, 02:09 AM
Ninja Taisa

good solution... didnt think of that either...
not trying to burst your bubble, but how then can you ensure that the waterblock sits flat on the core?
Old 25th December 2001, 09:37 AM
Ninja Shosa

good question....

i'm going to be relying on using the same length support pillers through the holes on the mobo and springs... the springs should keep everything evenly balenced and the foam pads on the core will stop it getting too slanty... i'll see what i can come up with but it means taking my computer offline for a while when i've only just got it back

dicki
Old 25th December 2001, 06:16 PM
Ninja Taisa

if you use the four mobo holes wouldnt screws and 4 springs keep it evenly tensioned?
Old 25th December 2001, 09:53 PM
Ninja Shoi

i had that exact idea a while back, there was a thread on the old forums....i reckon a decent non-conductive shim would also help keep it even. what i was thinking this time was making a base, with holes for fixing on it already. but in stead of having fins just have a cavity and pump water into it, and of course take it out. i think one of the swifttech blocks is just like it and i know that jozzer uses a similar design, the only thing that worries me now is that when i took my HSF off to measure the holes i damaged to core of my t-bird , as i was replacing the HSF i took the top edge of the core off, a thin sliver but there is a fair bit of core missing. the chip works but i am worried that if i try and do this water cooling when i am placing the block on the chip and applying the tension onto the fixing screw it will totally screw the chip. i cant afford to buy another chip at all at the mo , man i wanna win the lottery!!!!!!!!!

nitan

PS: merry xmas
Old 25th December 2001, 11:31 PM
Ninja Taisa

DOH