Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > Project Removal

Old 21st February 2010, 07:19 AM
Owner

Project Removal Timeframe

OK we have agreed on some sort of format regarding removal.. What ya think

Quote:

Process for the removal of DC-Vault.com Projects

(Active Projects switches to invite only, shutting down, only allowing participants from one country/region, no longer offering parseable stats or very unlikely now a keylogger)

1. Thread has been opened in the open forum(Problems and Suggestions) regarding a projects inactivity(by admin or DC community)
2. Thread should be opened in the Admin section for us to talk about(first admin to see it)
3. Post a summary of our chat in the open forum thread(quotes from emailing the project admin etc)
4. Move the thread from Problems and Suggestions to Project Removal(once it has been moved, we can safely say 14 days from this time)
4a. Create a POLL(if needed)
5. Leave it or deactivate it..

Any active project which no longer adheres to these rules will be removed by following the above removal process.

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Old 21st February 2010, 06:38 PM
Dutch Power Cows

I'd be carefull with the 14 days. There are some projects which, in normal processing, do not have work for a month or so. Might want to set up some sort of exception for those projects, just to avoid people opening a thread to remove those. Simple, name those projects (i.e. Lattice) and grant them a longer period, or bump up the period for all projects (a month? Two, maybe?).

Apart from that, it's good to have a timeframe set for this, to avoid discussion.
Old 21st February 2010, 08:14 PM
Owner

IF this was the case they we would have to talk about it in the removal thread.. We did talk about extensions regarding this kind of issue but to add extra points would make it confusing. Maybe I could add some situations or examples to the end of the dot points.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:21 AM
Ninja Gunso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiK-oz View Post
I'd be carefull with the 14 days. There are some projects which, in normal processing, do not have work for a month or so.
This removal process is meant for when a project fails. Like when a project that always has work available suddenly doesn't and there is no word from any admin. Or when an entire project just disappears from the face of the planet (like what happened with NQueens). Projects with periodic work will not be affected by this, unless they break the rules for inclusion.
Old 24th February 2010, 01:55 PM
Ars Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyrt View Post
This removal process is meant for when a project fails. Like when a project that always has work available suddenly doesn't and there is no word from any admin. Or when an entire project just disappears from the face of the planet (like what happened with NQueens).
What's the practical difference between a project "failing" and a project that just doesn't have work for a month or even more? I'd like to see a consistent timeframe, not based on someone's opinion. The above rules in Rusty's post look good except that I'd rather see a time of 30 - 60 days before removal.

I'd also favor a rule allowing the removal of a project if it's main reason for existence has changed and is being kept alive to satisfy Vault competition (such as projects that have been moved for all practical purposes to other platforms like BOINC). Hopefully we're all doing this mainly to further science...
Old 26th February 2010, 01:20 AM
Owner

I think 14 days is enough to gauge if a project is down for a limited time or down for the count.

Having said that 14 days may run into 3 or 4 weeks.. Once a thread has been created in the Problems and Suggestions forum, there will be some time for members/crunchers to have their say or tells us what they have heard etc, etc.. AFTER it has been moved to the Project Removal forum, the clock will start ticking, by this stage(the move) we should have an idea if the project is going to come back up...

I don't think any project is "staying" alive just for the DC-Vault.. Unless I am mistaken(?)...

Quote:
Example:

If a project fails for some reason or I should say goes down.

IF "they"(the admin/owner/MOD) post on their forum(links provided) or post via the news feed(links provided), email(Vault admin or a Cruncher[providing that user can produce a forwarded copy of that email]) that they have had major hardware failure(for example).. They I think that we should at least give them 14 days to fix the problem, if not a little bit more.. Providing they keep users up to date about what is going on.

IF "they"(the admin/owner/MOD) do NOT post on their forum or post via the news feed or return any email messages regarding the downtime/failure, (regardless of who it is Vault admin or a Cruncher[providing that user can produce a forwarded copy of that email or a link to a thread created]), then the "project" will have 14 days(after movement to the Project Removal forum) to rectify or reply, post etc
Old 6th March 2010, 02:22 AM
Owner

Bump... Anyone
Old 8th March 2010, 01:10 AM
ARS Technica

I think the Process as listed will work. It would have avoided some of the frictions with EoN. I am not sure it would have handled APS where there was an active admin who was all talk and no action. I suspect that had it followed the procedure, that it would have received the "let it ride" decision. Would that have been permanent or should those of us totally disgusted with the project submit another request for removal immediately? Or after some time period? If the decision was permanent, I don't see how the policy would have helped with APS. Perhaps something like

6. A new thread may be opened for the removal of a project that was allowed to remain after 14 days from the time the project was retained.

or something similar. I think something like this would have avoided spaming the forums with new "remove eon" threads while giving a proper venue to request reconsideration of the decision to leave it. Likewise, for APS.

Last edited by fractal; 8th March 2010 at 01:13 AM.