Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > New Projects

Old 24th June 2008, 01:51 AM
Ninja Recruit

Well from the graph above it appears that someone has been getting and completing work either daily or most every day since about 5/28/08. Not quite a month. I have about 1100 credits that were granted today and another 1100 pending at the moment.

Perhaps another review for addition what do you think Fractual ?

Thanks
Bill Freauff
Old 28th June 2008, 12:44 AM
ARS Technica

If you are talking to me, I managed to get some work from the project. The first one finished last week after running 317773.3 seconds (88 hrs) and credit has been "pending" since 20 Jun 2008 1:33:31 UTC. Hopefully the wingman will get to it.

The other two units are about one week into the work (over 100 cpu hours) and 50% done. People over at the orbit@home forums are complaining that the admin is non-responsive and ignoring the concerns of the volunteers. Long running wu's have been canceled in the past and many are concerned that the current batch will be canceled as well. Some are reported to run for long times then crash giving no credit. The current wu's need over 4 gig of hard disc space. Previous ones underestimated the need and errored out. Some think the new estimate is a bit high.

But, as you said .. there is work..

I myself consider the project a bit young, but since it does have work, I can't complain too much..
Old 6th July 2008, 03:24 AM
ARS Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractal View Post
If you are talking to me, I managed to get some work from the project. The first one finished last week after running 317773.3 seconds (88 hrs) and credit has been "pending" since 20 Jun 2008 1:33:31 UTC. Hopefully the wingman will get to it.

The other two units are about one week into the work (over 100 cpu hours) and 50% done.
The pending work is still .. pending.

The two new WU's are still in progress, 222 hrs into and 80 hrs to go.

DANG, those are beasts, particularly for an alpha project.
Old 6th July 2008, 05:43 AM
Team Haiku Member

I haven't been able to get Orbit WUs for nearly a week now... Perhaps it refuses to run alongside other BOINC projects due to resource share?
Old 7th July 2008, 02:59 AM
Ninja Recruit

Orbit work

I am currently working on 7 units scattered across the various 11 computers that I have available for DC projects.

Not all have a unit and my current due by dates range from 9/15 to 9/29.

Most of these units are quite large but I have not had a unit fail or be cancelled since 5/31 so they are stable units.

From the Boinstats project stat's users show continous production since the end of May

http://boincstats.com/stats/project_graph.php?pr=orbit

Bill
Old 15th July 2008, 10:17 AM
Grasshopper

I put 2 2-core & 3 4-core machines on this and got 16 of the big WUs.

2 errored out at 250 & 275 hours, one reset itself to 0.9% complete at a re-boot after 270 hours (jumped to another 280 to go , aborted), the others have all run to completion, but credit is very slow coming through (not very surprising). All in all, not at all bad for an Alpha project. No new work doesn't surprise me - they probably need to analyse what's happened so far before moving on.

This project certainly deserves a place in the Vault, but it needs to move out of alpha status first. If future WUs are going to be this big, they probably need to introduce some sort of trickle credit system.

Just my tuppence-worth.
Old 16th July 2008, 02:36 AM
Team Haiku Member

I got one unit on one of my machines when my athlon x2 ran out of work on some other projects. It appears that it may not pull units if it thinks there's not enough resource share?
Old 19th July 2008, 06:23 AM
Ninja Recruit

Orbit to Beta Status

Well here is a minor update on the new Orbit project. I see that the project is now coded a BETA level project.

The last work unit that I completed ran 1,703,917.00 CPU Seconds and shows Pending for a Claimed Credit of 3,968.43

BoincStat's project stat's for the project show continous and rising Credit per Day for the overall project the last 30 days. Which is more activiety than some of our current Vault projects.

Let's bring it into the Vault !!!

Bill
Old 19th July 2008, 09:20 AM
Owner

OK... What other troubles does it have..

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Stomp of the month in ABC@Home  
Stomp of the month in Cosmology@Home  
Stomp of the month in Einstein@Home  
Stomp of the month in The Lattice Project  
Stomp of the month in Leiden Classic  
Stomp of the month in Malariacontrol.net  
Stomp of the month in MilkyWay@Home  
Stomp of the month in POEM@Home  
Stomp of the month in Simap  
Old 20th July 2008, 02:36 AM
Team Haiku Member

I dunno, I still haven't gotten more than a single unit on one of my machines. Several of them are attached to it. Of course, they're attached to other projects that don't currently give out work either (in anticipation) so perhaps their resource share logic just refuses to give me work.
Old 21st July 2008, 07:39 PM
ARS Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractal View Post
The pending work is still .. pending.

The two new WU's are still in progress, 222 hrs into and 80 hrs to go.

DANG, those are beasts, particularly for an alpha project.
No change here.

Seriously..

The one WU I completed has been pending credit for a month. The other two wu's are still in progress after a full month of crunching (ok, they were suspended for part of it when the machine was needed for other purposes).
I can't tell if there is any work issued since then or if the new work is more reasonable. I'll let you know when/if I get any credit how it looks.
Old 21st July 2008, 09:02 PM
Team Haiku Member

Yeah, the one unit I've got now is still chuggin' away (~75% complete I think last i checked)...

These WUs are just a bit difficult to swallow - I hope they're able to reduce the size before long.
Old 20th May 2010, 04:29 PM
-one of the pesky Vikings-

There are some progress over at Orbit@home. They have created an application that actually works (the 1.05-app. have 97% success rate according to Pasquale) and running with real data (we are finally hunting 'earth killers').
But - it's still early days with 'bug fix' and testing of new applications.
They don't have work all the time, but some work is far better than no work

Last edited by Zachariassen; 20th May 2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 20th May 2010, 10:55 PM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachariassen View Post
There are some progress over at Orbit@home. They have created an application that actually works (the 1.05-app. have 97% success rate according to Pasquale) and running with real data (we are finally hunting 'earth killers').
But - it's still early days with 'bug fix' and testing of new applications.
They don't have work all the time, but some work is far better than no work
From my own exerience, I've had 19 go valid, 8 marked invalid, and none error out after significant crunching (errors occur withing 5 seconds). And a whole bunch in pending...
Old 4th September 2010, 05:43 PM
-one of the pesky Vikings-

Finally - Orbit is alive - and kicking
The server status says - 674.000 tasks ready to send...
I will quote the message the 'chief' - Pasquale Tricarico - wrote on the Orbit-forum yesterday:
Quote:
We're creating about 300,000 WUs, the largest batch ever created on orbit@home. We will wait a few days to check how this goes trough, and if all goes fine, there will be several other similar large batches this month.

This is real data, and the results will be presented at a meeting in October, and will be tested on real telescopes in mid-October. We plan to write about this in more detail on the front page soon.

Enjoy!