Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > The Lounge > Sci-Fi

Old 20th February 2004, 04:07 AM
Ninja Recruit

Book Review: Bellwether

Now it's been a while since I've done a review, heck it's been a while since i've posted last but I have been reading SF books like:

Divine Intervention - Ken Wharton (reading)
The Great Winter Trilogy - Sean McMullen
Chindi - Jack McDevitt
Revelation Space - Alastair Reynolds
Bellwether - Connie Willis

Bellweather is a funny SF about a big High tech science company and a pair of scientist working there. A sociologist is researching fads from hairstyles to Barbie dolls on how they started and why. The other, a chaos theorist researching monkey group behavior. The book revolves around the sociologist who by accident meets someone she thinks doesnít flow with trends a person going the opposite of any current fad (anti fad), who happens to be the chaos theorist working at the same company. This book shows many trend following characters like the time-out moms and body peircing waiter. Also shows in a big company the crazy policies and the chaos that goes on when trying to fill out a 64 page request forms for funding, touchy employee relations meetings, company motivation acronyms that turn into G.R.I.M. and Flip the company gofer.

I still laugh thinking about this book I highly recommend it, a short read. The only thing I can say bad about this book is when I started to read it I kept my wife up in bed from laughing.

Connie Willis wrote a very short novel I read some years ago about a woman attending a SF convention for weekend another very funny story; I just canít remember the name of the story but it put her on my want to read radar.
Old 20th February 2004, 10:37 AM
Ninja Master
Full time dad...

Nice,
I'll have to look out for this book - yes, thats right, I haven't read it!

I have read Revelation Space though, and Chasm City and Redemption Ark. They are all pretty good books, but I found them a trifle slow to start off with.

Fallguy