Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > The Lounge > Computer Hardware

Old 9th November 2002, 02:31 PM
Neophyte

Whuch 120 fan should i get ?

Panaflo, papst etc etc Sunon
Its for a Zalman

Whats a good speed/air rate for Zalman's chrysanthemum.. oh thats a flower BTW i know its not spelt rite...

Any takers>?

And has anyone used the Silent Papst NGL model its 30 ouch
Old 9th November 2002, 03:05 PM
Ninja Master
Chairman of the Borg

For a 120mm fan I like the YSTech's. I don't know if it'll fit your flower properly though.
[Artisan] * [Brawler] * [Entertainer] * [Marksman] * [Medic] * [Scout] * [Architect] * [Armosmith] * [Bio-Engineer] * [Bounty Hunter] * [Carbineer] * [Chef] * [Combat Medic] * [Commando] * [Creature Handler] * [Doctor] * [Droid Engineer] * [Fencer] * [Image Designer] * [Musician] * [Pikeman] * [Pistoleer] * [Rifleman] * [Smuggler] * [Swordsman] * [Tailor] * [Teras Kasi Artist] * [Weaponsmith]* [Holo-Grinder] * [Jedi Wannabe]

Old 9th November 2002, 07:48 PM
Administrator
Colymbosathon Ecplecticos

Exclamation

A 120 on a HS that's wicked! How are you gonna fit it if you don't mind me askin'? Does the Zalman have a special bracket which allows you to fit a 120mm fan?

I've only ever used 80's meself, but I do know of coolers which take different sizes (the ThermalRight SLK 800 for instance can use 60's, 70's or 80's... very handy ). I've never seen or heard of one which can take a 120mm tho'... that's very impressive if it can

Anyways... you won't go wrong buying any of the 120's mentioned... e.g. Papst (my personal faves), Panaflo (currently using 80mm Panaflo's on my HS's), and/or YSTech's. It really depends on your needs - e.g do you want the fan which'll shove out the most air (usually speed dependent), or do you want the quietest in relation to the fan speed (db)?

Depending on what you want, all you need t' do is compare the maximum speed of each fan, and relative noise of each in comparison to the speed before making a decision. Many newer fans are speed adjustable anyway (via a fan controller), and even auto-adjusting (temp' sensitive via sensors), so if they get too noisy, you can lower their speed - or they'll do it themselves when they reach a set temp', thus lessening the noise

Your choice 20p

Old 9th November 2002, 10:37 PM
Ninja Taisa
beer drinker

Wink

the only drawback with large fans is the centre boss is a lot bigger then a standard 60mm, so you get less air flow in the middle of the h/s, you may have to set the fan further back off thr h/s and offset as well to take advantage of a larger fan
seagate 200gig sata hdd. Inno 7600Gt 256mb ddr3 graphics
Viewsonic VX724 3ms 17in TFT monitor. Sony DVD-RW
win xp pro.
Old 10th November 2002, 12:46 AM
Ninja Shogun
T.M.

I use two "enermax" adjustable speed 120mm fans with my Zalman on an XP1900+ I got them because they have clear plastic fan blades so you can still see the copper "Flower" (oh pretty..)

I like em just fine, and I like the adjustable speed. When I installed my SCSI card, wich prevented any outrages overclocking, I turned the speed down and the damn things are SILENT,... but If I do want to OC the thing till it squeals

Old 12th November 2002, 12:27 AM
Neophyte

Bo and duke person - Is the fans speed set by the processor temperature?
How do you work the blinkin 2 fans waz the deal?
Where do you put them?
Old 12th November 2002, 01:13 AM
Ninja Shogun
T.M.

Check Ragnarogs wicked revue here;

http://www.ninjamicros.com/reviews/h...000/index.html

So,
one goes on the mounting bracket that comes with the Zalman,... in place of the 92mm,... the other, in my case. goes on the other side of the case, sort of behind the CPU, but more above it, blowing the hot air stright out the right side of the case. (Hard to explain without pictures of "SkyNet" my big@ss server case....)

Then there is an 80mm also clear with blue LED also mounted to the Zalman bracket, but lower, blowing on the Leadtek Geforce 4... but i digress

The speed is adjustable via a rotary nob, so you set it and leave it, it is not dynamically adjusted to CPU temp. (That would rock) Check thermaltakes website for one that does that.... I think?

Here's the Enermax;

http://www.coolerguys.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=F-120

Last edited by CyberdynSystems; 12th November 2002 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12th November 2002, 01:14 AM
Ninja Shogun
T.M.

P.S., The Dukes drove a 1969 Charger, this is a Superbee,...
Old 12th November 2002, 02:08 AM
Ninja Master
Mrs Rids

I have the 80 mm Enermax fan (in a fabulous shade of raspberry pink that matches my case!) attached to a Thermalright SLK-800. The fan itself is adjustable by means of a separate knob that controls the speed.
Old 12th November 2002, 04:21 AM
Ninja Shogun
T.M.

P.S.,
at the Coolerguys link above, they now have a clear 92mm fan with blue leds. For the reasons that Dodgy mention, this may be a better choice for the Zalman.

Hard to say without further testing...

/hmm looks like I may have to try one of the stock Zalmans 92mm again and see if the airflow "hole" in the 120 mm hurts its cooling ability on the Zalman...
Old 12th November 2002, 04:46 AM
Neophyte

OK Thanks All

I use a 92 mm Zalman and its OK, I have the fanmate outside my case thru the back plate and its quite ok.

The only thing was the 120 seemed migger and better which would theoretically allow better cooling so faster chips (2800+) etc. whilst still being quiet.
The quiet part is most important, im pretty obsessive about it.
But silence is golden, right?
The 2 120s -- I think I get the idea is it one above and one on the side??
like this ???
\/
120 1
FF 2<
FFFF 0

The FFs are the flower - i know its baaad...
Old 12th November 2002, 04:54 AM
Neophyte

Cyberdyn
Its VERY difficult to understand your fans and how they mounted - the 1st no prob but I would love 2 c a photo...

BTW Does anyone have an idea whats the fastest a Zalman standard setup will cool (will it cool the 2800 ???)
Old 12th November 2002, 05:17 AM
Ninja Shogun
T.M.

My cmaera is at work,... lol

Look at the front of your case.
The left side, if the case were open,.. is where the 1st Fan would be, blowing from the left, to the right hand side, (the side the motherboard is mounted on) Thats how yours is set-up, and thats how mine is set-up. Right?

O-kay, now imagine that you have a big 120mmm hole in THE RIGHT side of your case,... the side the motherboard mounts to...
Imagine that this hole is located directly behind where the socket for your cpu mounts on the Mobo, but,.. slightly higher,.... I have a fan here, blowing out of the case, .. still left to right. This way there is a constant wind tunnel of fresh air blowing from left to right across the Zalman... this way any hot air that is being generated from the heatsnk, instead of pooling up inside the case and waiting to finally find its way out, it is directly vented straight out the right hand side.

When I get my camera back I'll take few pics.

Last edited by CyberdynSystems; 12th November 2002 at 05:19 AM.