Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > The Lounge > The Media Centre

Old 15th April 2008, 03:52 PM
Troll

wyles goes tech savvy - gets an ipod

oooh yeah - ph34r me.

So - with the Doctor Who episode "Rise of the Cybermen" in mind (and none of its irony lost) I board the train to the city. This time however I am prepared... I have the newest latest ipod thingy loaded up with songs, games and vid clips... ready to completely ignore my fellow man as I sit in zombied silence in my seat (and they say the art of conversation is lost.. pah!), then shuffle dronedly across dangerous intersections unable to hear the warning horns and curses of my fellow man... Yeah - now I get it!

Yes - wyles has joined the new generation. CD's??? What the hell was I thinking??

Okay - now for serious shit. I copied all my CD's across at 320 kb. I mean, these buggers store ten times more than my first laptop - we can afford a little quality here eh? Then....after years of denial I.....(gulp)... SIGNED UP FOR ITUNES!!!

The question is coming.. humour me you miserable gits eh??

Itunes states that although its songs are 128kbps their alff format gives near cd quality. Now.... I've listened and although yes - they are a lot better quality than i expected from such a low bitrate (thats what always put me off downloading pirated music - the quality was always so shite) compared to the 320kb ripped songs.... well, no dammit, actually they are pretty damn good.

I always thought compression buggered up a good rip. Thats the main reason I avoided itunes for so long (that and the non transferability of songs etc). Anyone of you digital dudes have anything to comment , its appreciated
Old 15th April 2008, 04:34 PM
Ninja Taisho
When the 'ol man speaks..

Hi bud,

I have recently purchased an iPod also.
I waited for a long time in getting one.
Software and hardware has come a long way in the past few months.
You can now get very high quality sound from lower bitrates, thanx to good software, compression, codec, etc.

Congrats to the new member to the family.

Take care...........

* F@H HWC * F@H Unit Points*
Old 15th April 2008, 04:39 PM
The Original Muppet

On a similar note I have just bought an Archos 605 WiFi . I'm now in the process of converting my Dvd collection into H264 (MPEG-4 Part 10 if you want to get technical ) and then I'll start on my CD's LOL.

Now if your talking about the Apple Lossless Format (?) then it uses a Linear prediction algorithm which is a mathematical operation where future values of a discrete-time signal are estimated as a linear function of previous samples.

Mp3's are a lossy data compression ( no I dont mean there bad ) and how I understand it the frequencys which the human ear cannot hear are deleted.

With my 192kbit/s Mp3 ripps I cannot honestly say I can tell the difference from the cd IMHO
Old 16th April 2008, 02:29 AM
Troll

Interesting.
It would of course depend on your playback equipment - cheap vs quality headphones, through the portable or amplifier stereo speakers etc. Years ago there was an awesome difference between 128 and 192, and then again 192 to 320. I'm quite particular about hearing the lows and highs with whats left of my hearing after a youth spent at live concerts. In light of this info I might play around with rip qualities and experiment. Not only will my new friend and I spend some more quality time together but it may save some space.
Thanks Lee - yes we are inseparable

Thanks guys!
Old 16th April 2008, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Colymbosathon Ecplecticos

Thumbs up

Nice one Wyles

I was watching The Gadget Show on Monday, and - as part of the regular 'challenge', Jason Bradbury (one of the presenters) managed to nobble himself a 2nd-hand 30GB iPOD Video off somebody on the AV Forums, for just 75

See here. I shouldn't wonder but that he kept it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post

On a similar note I have just bought an Archos 605 WiFi .
Bought a 40GB one of those meself, just before Xmas last year mate!
It's a belting little number fer sure

Have you bought the web browser +/or any of the games packs for it yet?

Old 16th April 2008, 10:41 AM
The Original Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
..Have you bought the web browser +/or any of the games packs for it yet?
I got it from <cough> QVC so it came with the Browser pluggin and DVR station. Ive since got the other two pluggins for it so im covered for most file formats . Havent bothered with the games TBH. although it came with 1 free download.

Using CloneDVD Mobile for the films and Media Monkey Gold for the MP3's