Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > New Projects

Old 11th October 2015, 05:59 AM
[H]ard|OCP

DENIS@home

http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/

DENIS@home has grown quite a bit over the last few months. Currently there is a user based optimized app that speeds up the work by ten times. The admin is working on applying those optimizations to the project distributed work units. Please post thoughts, ideas, concerns, likes, dislikes, etc... here.
Old 19th October 2015, 04:33 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Team OcUK has issued a team challenge for DENIS@Home here: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/730 I find these challenges to be helpful in discovering the projects abilities to compensate for extra server stress and work unit delivery. If anyone would like to join this challenge, please do so as it would be good timing for us to get additional details on the projects ability.
Old 9th November 2015, 12:42 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Approval is here: http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/foru...=80&postid=664
Old 13th November 2015, 03:50 AM
Neophyte
MODist Free-DC

Yesterday I put three high powered systems on Denis. This morning one was already idle and the other two were running at 50%. As of right now I still have no work from Denis.
Old 13th November 2015, 04:00 AM
[H]ard|OCP

There appears to be a thread in their forums in regards to it. Their admins are usually pretty quick to respond to issues, so will see what happens.

http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/forum_thread.php?id=83

Last edited by Coleslaw; 13th November 2015 at 04:02 AM.
Old 13th November 2015, 03:12 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Quote:
Hi!

I think that is solved. We got an issue with cron but it seems to been solved now.

Best regards, Joel.
http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/foru....php?id=83#685
Old 13th November 2015, 03:34 PM
Neophyte
MODist Free-DC

Second time in a week their server has been down. It is good the admins respond quickly. I'll wait another week or two before I ramp up on this project.
Old 16th November 2015, 10:09 AM
Ninja Jotohei
Dutch Power Cows

Is this project with the 2 alternative clients not a test project for the time being?
Anyway testing with Crunch3r's app now...
Old 16th November 2015, 03:23 PM
[H]ard|OCP

iconized, the "2 alternative clients" are not official project clients. Therefore the official project client is considered production still. It is up to the user to decide whether they use apps provided by unofficial sources or not. The project has not made claim to being a "test project" that I know of and DC-Vault does not require a project to be out of a pre-production state to be included. An example of one in the past that was and still is in BETA was RNA World. They were removed from the DC-Vault strictly because work was scarce.
Old 18th November 2015, 10:37 AM
Ninja Jotohei
Dutch Power Cows

Hmm the only rule that may apply is "Be active".
If others can write an app that is 10x faster and you don't act, you are not active.
Old 18th November 2015, 02:14 PM
[H]ard|OCP

"Be active" is a very broad interpretation and I think it meant that the project had to be actively creating work or in a small transition making the project better but back up in a short period. I don't think it was meant to mean they must act as soon as someone else demanded it. Just because someone else made an app doesn't mean they have to accept it. However, if you read in their forums, they did state that they were working on implementing some of Sesef's optimizations. The problem with projects accepting donor optimizations is that they need to:
1. verify the results are identical to the original application..
2. They can replicate the same app. which usually means using the same compiler or attempting to use another with the same results.
3. Have the tools to do the compilation available to them. Not all compilers are freely available to everyone.

Now, some project admins may not do all 3 of these and may put full trust in the donor. This is a very bad idea as PrimeGrid found out when they had an Android app. provided to them by a donor. The app. did not produce accurate results and PrimeGrid did not do extensive testing beforehand. This in essence meant everyone that ran the application on their Android devices wasted a lot of processing time.
Old 24th November 2015, 10:13 PM
[H]ard|OCP

In case anyone starts inquiring...

Quote:
Hi everyone!

We are ready to launch a new version of DENIS application, which will include more than one model, also, it will have new features for scientists like the ability to storage more parameters from the simulation.

We are working also in a new web page with more information about the project and the workunits organization, to do all that things we need to "purge" the system and prepare some scripts that will maintain the server paused this week.

We hope that the new web page and the new version of the app will be running during the next week.

Best regards, DENIS@Home Staff.
http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/forum_thread.php?id=88
Old 29th December 2015, 05:55 PM
Neophyte
MODist Free-DC

I don't think they understand the meaning of "Ready". This project has been stalled for almost a month now. Since being added to the vault it has had more down time than up time.
Old 29th December 2015, 06:31 PM
[H]ard|OCP

I agree that these delays can be disheartening. They last posted a week ago that they are testing not only the new app but also optimized clients for it to cover all platforms they support. They had also reported earlier in the month that the team was being delayed due to illness which no doubt goes around this time of year. They have launched their new website as planned during this time though. I have not seen any of the test work units myself, so cannot verify the progress on those. I will try and contact the admin for further input.
Old 30th December 2015, 12:39 AM
Owner

So should it be removed until they sort it out.

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Stomp of the month in Cosmology@Home  
Dump of the day in Folding@Home   Dump of the week in Folding@Home   Dump of the month in Folding@Home  
Stomp of the month in MilkyWay@Home  
Stomp of the month in Rosetta@Home  
Stomp of the month in World Community Grid