Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > New Projects

Old 31st October 2016, 02:26 PM
[H]ard|OCP

TN-Grid (aka Gene@home)

http://gene.disi.unitn.it/test/index.php

About TN-Grid

TN-Grid is a platform that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in various scientific projects. You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer. TN-Grid is based at the Research Area of Trento of the National Research Council of Italy (CNR) and currently hosted by the University of Trento (UNITN). The first project we host is
  • gene@home, in collaboration with Fondazione Edmund Mach (FEM) and the Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science (DISI) of UNITN.

They just gave us permission to include the project. We should still do a stress test challenge.

They have posted their invite code on their home page for those having trouble joining.

I ran a lot of work testing this project and found the work to be quite stable. However, at that time they knew their servers couldn't handle a large load. They have made some changes and feel that they are now ready. I will post back soon with a challenge date for stress testing.

Since they have been testing genes in plants, I am recommending it be added to the physical sciences category. We are heavily light in the Bio/Medical category if anyone knows of any solid projects that may need included.
Old 1st November 2016, 10:05 AM
Ninja Recruit

added this to boinc http://gene.disi.unitn.it/test/index.php , but i'm not able to receive any task.
Old 1st November 2016, 05:08 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Have you already created an account from their website?
Old 1st November 2016, 06:03 PM
Ninja Recruit

everything is working now.
Old 2nd November 2016, 05:57 PM
Ars Technica

Just created an account and have a few WUs running on various platforms. Will report back if/when they complete. Looking at other hosts the WUs appear to be reliable. I will say that it would be nice to have another Bio project. We're getting a little thin: down to just 3 after the demise of POEM.

Edit: I think the Bio and Medical Science category is far more appropriate than Physical Science for this project. Genes are biological entities and if we read the goals of the project:
Quote:
This project investigates one of the important topics in bioinformatics, the causal relationships among genes. The algorithm presented in this research is tested on plants, namely Arabidopsis thaliana.
Some of the reasons that can be considered to help in this research are the following:
1) In the future, the algorithm is expected to be used in gene networks investigation on animals and eventually on humans. The result of this research could contribute to the development of medical science.
http://gene.disi.unitn.it/test/geneh...s/5reasons.php

Also some of the initial research has already been on E. coli, which is most likely aimed at usefulness for medical research:

http://gene.disi.unitn.it/test/forum_thread.php?id=121

http://gene.disi.unitn.it/test/forum_thread.php?id=115

Last edited by Beyond; 2nd November 2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 3rd November 2016, 01:49 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Yeah... I meant to edit that to Bio/Medical but the site was having problems and wouldn't allow it.
Old 4th November 2016, 07:29 PM
Ars Technica

Thumbs up Smooth as silk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
Just created an account and have a few WUs running on various platforms. Will report back if/when they complete. Looking at other hosts the WUs appear to be reliable. I will say that it would be nice to have another Bio project. We're getting a little thin: down to just 3 after the demise of POEM.
After completing 600+ WUs on 12 machines, this project seems exceptionally smooth. Various Intel and AMD platforms all work great. Website, UL and DL times are fast. I like it.
Old 4th November 2016, 10:41 PM
[H]ard|OCP

There is a PrimeGrid challenge and the WCG Birthday challenge coming up in a few weeks. I may issue the stress test for after the WCG challenge. I will post back when I decide.
Old 4th November 2016, 10:50 PM
Owner

Not sure WTF is going on with editing.

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Dump of the day in Folding@Home   Dump of the week in Folding@Home   Dump of the month in Folding@Home  
Old 30th November 2016, 03:49 PM
Neophyte
MODist Free-DC

Any update on this?
Old 1st December 2016, 01:57 PM
[H]ard|OCP

I'm planning on issuing a stress test challenge in January to avoid the holiday season and some of the challenges that normally take place in December. I will post again when I have a date set.
Old 3rd December 2016, 11:19 AM
Dutch Power Cows

Looks like someone else beat you to it . Let's see if this will show us enough about stability and performance.

TN-Grid Platform: First international challenge on TN-Grid
The BOINC.Italy Team has opened the first international challenge on this project.

Title: "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 4th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial and 30 years from Nobel Prize.

Start 10 Dec 16.00 UTC - End 16 Dec 16.00 UTC

Check http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/831 for more info.
12/2/2016 5:08:39 PM more...
Old 3rd December 2016, 03:40 PM
Ars Technica

I've been running TN-Grid for a month now and have well over 6000 WUs completed. Only 1 error and that was my fault (swapping in a couple new GPUs that needed updated drivers). This is one of the most stable projects I've run: solid, fast connectivity, reliable, plenty of work. Not to mention that it seems to be a valuable project in the Bio category (where we're light). Lots of information in the forum and active participation by the scientists. They just installed a ram, CPU and storage upgrade on the server. If I had more than 2 thumbs they'd all be up.

Last edited by Beyond; 3rd December 2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 3rd December 2016, 09:24 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Looks good enough for me. Let's see if we can break them.
Old 25th December 2016, 04:30 PM
Ars Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiK-oz View Post
Looks like someone else beat you to it . Let's see if this will show us enough about stability and performance.

TN-Grid Platform: First international challenge on TN-Grid
The BOINC.Italy Team has opened the first international challenge on this project.

Title: "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 4th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial and 30 years from Nobel Prize.

Start 10 Dec 16.00 UTC - End 16 Dec 16.00 UTC

Check http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/831 for more info.
12/2/2016 5:08:39 PM more...
Looks like the project came through the challenge with flying colors. Time to add it?

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Last edited by Beyond; 25th December 2016 at 05:01 PM.