Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > The Lounge > Sci-Fi

Old 25th August 2011, 03:30 AM
Scottish twit, extremis

The Dresden Files

I'm not really sure how you should do a book review. So I'm not going to care. You get what you get. For all I know, one or more of these books have been reviewed before. Doesn't matter.

The Dresden Files (14 total books)
Author: Jim Butcher

Rating: A+

I've heard this series called "Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Philip Marlowe". I don't know about the Buffy part, but Philip Marlowe is dead on. (and the dead part part shows up a lot).

If you have any taste for the hard-bitten detective genre ... and you have any taste for fantasy, it's hard to imagine how you wouldn't fall in love with these books ... and after the end of the 12th novel, not to curse Jim Butcher's name, shade, etc.

I'm now reading the 13th novel (sends shivers down your reading spine, don't it?!). Still wondering if he can pull it off (and I'm not going to reveal exactly what Jim Butcher is trying to pull off, nor what had me cursing a blue streak at the end of novel 12).

What I will say is that the first 12 novels (starting with Storm Front) and the 13th book (a collection of short stories about wizard Harry Dresden), is well worth the time invested.

So, having raved about these books, what the heck are they about? Well ... they are about Harry Dresden ... a private investigator ... and wizard. Isaac Asimov managed to combine science-fiction and mystery genres exquisitely a couple of decades ago (or more ... I'm an old fart). Jim Butcher has manged the same thing with hard-boiled detective noir and fantasy and it is not a combination to be missed if you have any special interest in either, much less if both genres appeal to you. If Bogart fighting ghosts conjures images of something great ... these are for you.

I'll give a review of the 13th novel later (once I finish) but don't expect plot spoilers. I've already said I was enraged at the ending of novel 12. I didn't see how there could even be a novel 13. I'll let you know.

In the mean time ... find Storm Front, read it ... and know that they only get better from there.

Team Ninja Stats Site
Sig courtesy of Chelle ... I love it to death
Old 28th August 2011, 07:16 AM
Scottish twit, extremis

OK ... finished novel 13 (Ghost Story).

He pulled it off.

It's not the best of the 13 novels ... and it's not the worst ... and I'd have a heck of a time trying to figure out which of the 13 novels is the worst.

And whichever one is the worst ... can't worse than a B-.

(now his Alera novels on the other hand ... )

Last edited by 10:13; 28th August 2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 17th January 2018, 04:44 PM
Grasshopper

Nice to see other Jim Butcher fans. I love The Dresden Files novels! I think Storm Front is my favorite one of the whole series.