Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > Project Removal

Old 2nd May 2018, 04:20 AM
Ninja 生徒

Unhappy POGS end of line news release

Here is a news release from the POGS site outlining end of project plans.

-------------------

POGS is complete!
Hey everyone,

As a lot of you noticed, there haven't been any workunits for POGS for about a week.

I've been told by Kevin this morning that POGS has finished processing all the galaxies he needs.

Next up, we'll be looking at reviewing all of the processed galaxy data and preparing it for actual use.

Kevin tells me that the next step is to use the processed galaxy data to train an auto-encoder neural network to classify galaxies based on their features. We'll have a gigantic amount of training data ready for this task, so the prospects of positive results seem high.

Additionally, any research papers that ICRAR publishes using this data will contain an acknowledgement to the work done by everyone who contributed to POGS.

The POGS and theSkyNet websites are going to remain up for the time being, but Kevin is also looking to shut them down once everything has fully wrapped up. This is mainly due to monetary issues - it costs more than $2,000 AUD per month to keep the POGS and theSkyNet services running.

So I'm sorry about how abrupt this is, but we're all done. Thank you everyone for your contributions, great or small. Kevin and I do appreciate everything you've done, and we'll be sure to put all the data to good use.
I'm glad to have been able to help manage this project, even if it's only been one day a week for the most part. The community here has always been a good one.

I can try and answer any questions anyone has in this thread - I'm sure there'll be some.

Thanks again for everything,
Sam 2 May 2018, 0:45:14 UTC Comment

--------------------
Thanks
Bill F

Old 5th May 2018, 07:45 AM
Owner

Another one bites the dust..

Will remove tomorrow.

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Dump of the day in Folding@Home   Dump of the week in Folding@Home   Dump of the month in Folding@Home  
Old 10th May 2018, 03:18 AM
Ninja 生徒

That was painful lost 4 Team positions from 113 to 117. Oh Well crunch on.
Old 10th May 2018, 12:48 PM
[H]ard|OCP

That is the nature of the beast.
Old 13th May 2018, 11:50 PM
Ninja 生徒

Smile POGS Thank you and announcement of a new Project

Below is a Thank you from POGS and announcement of a new Project .... sometime in the Future.

-------------------------

TheSkyNet was ICRAR?s first ever citizen science project. Since then, we?ve launched (and concluded) Galaxy Explorers, and will soon be launching beta testing for our latest citizen science program, Astro Quest.

Using the distributed computing power of thousands of computers located around the world, theSkyNet?s ?SourceFinder? project used a DuChamp algorithm to automatically tell the difference between background noise and real radio sources in observations from a radio telescope. The project proved that distributed computing is a real solution for processing large volumes of radio astronomy data and may help researchers maximise science returns from the next generation radio telescopes like the Square Kilometre Array.

After SourceFinder, we launched another citizen science project on theSkyNet platform. Named ?POGS?, it combined data from Pan-STARRS1 (a telescope at Haleakala Observatory in Hawaii) with space-based telescopes, GALEX and WISE to generate a multi-wavelength galaxy atlas of the nearby Universe.

The results of this astronomically awesome distributed computing effort has allowed our researchers to measure the physical parameters (such as stellar mass, surface density and star formation rate) of 107, 985 galaxies! The results of this work will be published soon, so keep an eye on the ICRAR website for details.

As well as processing data for our astronomers, theSkyNet has helped us understand how to involve the community in our work through a citizen science project. We?ve had a great time with it and as we wrap this one up, we?d like to thank theSkyNet community for your time, enthusiasm, and commitment to science. We hope to have you on board for Astro Quest?keep an eye out for it!

Thank you from everyone that's worked on theSkyNet at ICRAR.

----------------

Bill F