Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > New Projects

Old 30th January 2015, 05:14 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Citizen Science Grid

I wanted to post this as a potential project to watch for the future. This project was previously three separate projects and now consists of DNA@home, Subsetsum, and Wildlife@home.

They have had work for DNA for a few months now. However, I have done little testing and do not know what to expect yet as far as supplying demand. I know in the past, these three projects rarely had work. However, now that Travis has someone actively working with DNA@home, it may be a bit more reliable.

http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/csg/

With that said, please put any and all concerns, experiences, or thoughts on the project here so that they may be considered when the time comes. It may not be until March or a bit later before I can do much testing.

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/156/p.../detail/credit
Old 28th March 2015, 04:11 AM
[H]ard|OCP

Some good news:
Quote:
It's been a long time coming, but I think I might have fixed some of the issues with the subset sum application. I've made a test batch of 100 workunits, and have added 32 and 64 bit linux and OSX applications. I'll be testing windows in a bit. Please let me know how these are crunching. If all works well we should go back to having a steady flow of subset sum workunits coming out!
http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/csg/foru...p?id=2008#5045

And:
http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/csg/foru...p?id=2007#5039
Quote:
Hi everyone!

I will be testing some work units today for one of the new Wildlife@Home programs (wildlife_bgsub). The first few jobs sent out will just be tests for 64 bit linux machines and will likely have a few errors but hopefully I can get them fixed asap.

Thanks!
As far as DNA goes, they have had work but there aren't many work units to go around at any given time. Maybe a couple thousand. I have not heard back from Travis yet on plans to increase availability. I am hoping that one of the other two sub projects (especially subsetsum) could possibly fill that gap.

Last edited by Coleslaw; 28th March 2015 at 04:14 AM.
Old 28th March 2015, 11:56 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Subsetsum work for Windows are available. So far they seem pretty stable.
Old 30th March 2015, 08:36 PM
[H]ard|OCP

So far the work units seem very stable for Subsetsum and there appear to be quite a few in the que. I will give it some more time to run its course before pushing if this is the amount of work to expect consistently.
Old 24th May 2015, 03:20 AM
[H]ard|OCP

I issued a team challenge through BOINCStats for the Citizen Science Grid. This is a challenge to stress test whether they can handle the burden of heavier load. Please push this project hard during this challenge so that we can do our best to assess. Thanks in advance. 6/1-6/8

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/685

Last edited by Coleslaw; 24th May 2015 at 03:35 AM.
Old 1st June 2015, 01:06 PM
[H]ard|OCP

The challenge is on its way and things are looking good thus far. If anyone else is interested in pushing the project to its limits, please join in. Even if your team doesn't the more that hit the project, the better we will get a feel for what it can handle.
Old 4th June 2015, 03:29 PM
Dutch Power Cows

Although we have not joined the "official" challenge, a few of us Cows are hitting the project for a week or so. So far, no issues with the workunits; Too bad they had to revise scoring during the challenge, making it useless as challenge, but still very useful as stress test. Revising the scoring itself was very necessary.

Project seems to hold up pretty well under increased load.
Old 5th June 2015, 01:12 AM
[H]ard|OCP

I agree DigiK-oz, but some are already speaking out thinking another challenge may be necessary as the points fiasco going on at BOINCStats may be deterring some from truly hitting it hard. I will be considering it.
Old 5th June 2015, 03:11 AM
[H]ard|OCP

I have already posted at the challenge asking what people think of a phase 2 challenge once Travis thinks the scoring is stable. I think it is important to get the scoring situated before adding it to the vault. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
Old 7th June 2015, 04:12 AM
KWSN Kanigit

Thumbs up CSG

The Knights Who Say Ni! voted Citizen Science Grid Project of the Month for June. Other than the point correction problem, it seems to be running very well. KWSN cracked the Top 10 for team production today, but waaaay behind [H]ard|OCP and the Cows. Although one week is not much of a stability test. Hasn't anyone mentioned they have shiny badges? Ni!

Last edited by LanDroid; 7th June 2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old 7th June 2015, 10:33 PM
[H]ard|OCP

LanDroid, we do plan on having another challenge soon'ish. The problem with a longer challenge is that most people lose interest past a week or two (and BS only allows up to 7 days per challenge). At that point the "stress" portion lessens and then you are back to where we are. Since there is already a steady lineup for June and I want Travis to have enough time to stabilize the points, the "Phase 2" challenge will more than likely be in July.
Old 16th June 2015, 05:02 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Quote:
Just a heads up to everyone, I'll be driving to NY tomorrow for my annual island camping adventure. It'll be a two day drive (so I will be able to check forums tomorrow night and Sunday night), but starting Monday I'll be out camping on a beautiful island on Lake George in the Adirondacks. I'll have some cell phone service but limited battery so I will not be able to check the forums very frequently. I'll be off the island June 29th, so I apologize for any slow responses while I'm enjoying a little bit of rest and relaxation off the grid. Hopefully nothing explodes while I'm gone!

Once I get back we have quite a few cool updates for the CSG -- a new Wildlife@Home project involving ducks and another Wildlife@Home project involving images from the Hudson Bay, Canada and from around North Dakota involving motion sensor camera traps.

I apologize for not getting the Climate Tweets validator up and running this week, that will be on the top of the to-do list for when I get back from NY.
http://csgrid.org/csg/forum_thread.php?id=2097#5461

Quote:
Given that it was taking way too long for the DNA@Home workunits to clear out I canceled every workunit that didn't have any jobs out being crunched. Once I get back from vacation I'll get fixed credit up and going with a lot of new DNA@Home work.
http://csgrid.org/csg/forum_thread.php?id=2098#5462
Old 12th July 2015, 02:56 AM
[H]ard|OCP

Just an update. I am still waiting on Travis to get the DNA work units going before I announce Phase 2. He just got back and is getting caught up on a bunch of things. I haven't forgotten about the Phase 2 challenge but we are going to miss the July time frame. I want to give at least a two week notice for the challenge. So, as soon as he gives the green light, I will have it set up.
Old 15th July 2015, 01:20 AM
[H]ard|OCP

I got a PM from Travis today
Quote:
Testing new DNA@Home workunits now. Once things are looking good and credit is looking right then I'll put out a huge batch and we should be ready for a challenge!
Old 8th August 2015, 10:11 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Doing a Phase 2 for stress testing the servers. http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/705 9/6-9/13