Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > New Projects

View Poll Results: Add to the Vault?
Yes 6 75.00%
No 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th September 2017, 02:46 AM
Ninja 生徒

Acoustics@home

New Physics project regarding the speed of sound underwater and factors affecting it. Appears to have been started in April and has progressed enough to be added to the BOINC "Add Projects" list.

Currently has about 570 users and 1500 computers.

I created an account tonight and will watch it for a while and update when I know more.

Bill
Dallas TX
Old 20th September 2017, 12:48 PM
[H]ard|OCP

The admin is addressing the low credits issue.

Quote:
I've enabled the fixed credit system: 42 credits are granted for each task from now. It should fix the problem.
They are also working on a GPU application as well as optimized applications for CPU.
They got a slow start as they had a few months of no work available. However, the work units have all ran pretty solid for me. Anyone got any thoughts?
Old 22nd September 2017, 06:12 AM
Ninja 生徒

Like you my 1st 69 work units all ran clean and completed with no errors

Bill
Old 22nd September 2017, 04:01 PM
[H]ard|OCP

A request for inclusion has been posted here: http://www.acousticsathome.ru/boinc/...d.php?id=24#72
Old 24th September 2017, 12:04 AM
[H]ard|OCP

Oleg has given his permission. http://www.acousticsathome.ru/boinc/...d.php?id=24#73

I will begin looking for a time for a stress test challenge.
Old 24th September 2017, 12:09 AM
[H]ard|OCP

Looks like a challenge is already scheduled

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/957

9/28 - 10/5 Ocean of fantasy by Russsia Team. I suggest anyone that wants to stress test to partake in that challenge. No need to make multiple challenges within a single months time.
Old 2nd October 2017, 01:07 PM
[H]ard|OCP

So far things seem to be running smooth. Does anyone have any issues to report?
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:28 PM
Ars Technica

A few questions/concerns:

1) Any idea how long this project is supposed to last? There's already been 1 "experiment" completed and then nothing until the next version started.

2) What exactly is the purpose? One person asked if it was related to the military and that was denied, but from the main page description it sure looks like it may be military related. Also look at the "founders" and "our team" pages.

3) Looks to be an "alpha" project, apps are only at v0.16.
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:34 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Could you please show where you are getting the impression it is military related other than the one user that asked in the science thread? I've read the description and do not see any implication of such.

I have no idea how long it will last. Perhaps posting that question in their forums?

Alpha project status, Beta status, production status has never been a requirement for DC-Vault. So, that will be up to individuals to decide on whether they feel it is "qualified" to be a fun challenge to include. Many of the projects consider themselves still "Beta projects" but running production work. I know it is a bad list to reference as project admins rarely go to BOINCStats to update their status but https://boincstats.com/en/page/projectStatusInfo

I have had the status descriptor discussion with multiple project admins in the past. General consensus was that most will squat on the "Alpha"/"Beta" title for the project simply to excuse any hiccups with the project while running their entire production work/science on it to the end.

Also, you will find that CSG's, SRBase's, & Universe's applications still have not made it to v1 status https://csgrid.org/csg/apps.php http://srbase.my-firewall.org/sr5/apps.php https://universeathome.pl/universe/apps.php

Last edited by Coleslaw; 3rd October 2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 4th October 2017, 01:23 AM
Ars Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleslaw View Post
Could you please show where you are getting the impression it is military related other than the one user that asked in the science thread? I've read the description and do not see any implication of such.
Maybe I'm being too suspicious, but this project sounds like it may be geared toward improving detection and communications for use in submarine warfare. From the front page:

"The medium parameters are usually understood as the sound speed profile in water (i.e., the dependence of the sound speed on the depth) and the sound speed and density in the sea bottom sediment layers. Medium parameters reconstruction is of great importance for problems of underwater communication and for the development of underwater navigation systems."

That's perhaps why the question was asked on the forums. Again, maybe I'm being too suspicious, but I sure don't want to be contributing to projects with military goals. I would prefer to see a clear, comprehensive statement outlining the goals and end uses of their research.
Old 4th October 2017, 01:05 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Well... since that is used in non-military activities, I would say it is certainly conspiracy theory level at this time. A lot of marine biologists out there using sub-marine and underwater drone gear. Trying to control those without a cable attached. I'm sure improving communications to your "drone" makes a huge difference. I mean, with this line of thinking, why support PrimeGrid? The military may be using those primes against you as we debate...
Old 4th October 2017, 06:39 PM
Ars Technica

Quote:
I mean, with this line of thinking, why support PrimeGrid? The military may be using those primes against you as we debate...
Not a good comparison.

I don't think that it's too much to ask for a clear, comprehensive statement outlining the goals and end uses of their research.
Old 5th October 2017, 03:25 AM
Ninja 生徒

Smile Challange

Well there was a Challenge running that was supposed to end about now. Anyone have any feed back on how it ran ? I am a small guy so the fact that the 259 WU's that I have done with Windows boxes is not all that telling. Yes they all ran error free but I do not have a Linux box.

Bill F
Old 5th October 2017, 11:50 AM
[H]ard|OCP

Beyond, I agree that clarity is important when we have questions. I have not seen you post those concerns at the project yet where they may be addressed. Let us know how that goes.

Bill, I have ran 350k+ points worth of work units thus far. I have yet to find issues with the project. If anyone else has had different results, please post.
Old 5th October 2017, 02:08 PM
Ars Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleslaw View Post
Beyond, I agree that clarity is important when we have questions. I have not seen you post those concerns at the project yet where they may be addressed. Let us know how that goes.
I haven't joined the project and not sure that I want to given the issue. Maybe it's fine, maybe not. Like the person who asked the question on the forum (or rather 3 who chimed in with seemingly the same concerns), I'm a little suspicious. This type of research would certainly be applicable to military sonar. Whether that's the purpose, only the admins know. If it is, they probably wouldn't admit it though. This is the place to voice concerns about projects, so I did.

Forum link: http://www.acousticsathome.ru/boinc/...hread.php?id=9