Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > Project Removal

Old 1st March 2014, 02:19 PM
Ars Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyrt View Post
I disagree. Its activity goes up and down, but thousands of tests have been crunched oved the last year as shown by the stats page: http://psp-project.de/stats.html
Please look at the table called "PRP Results returned by month".
Not many results returned at all and the majority by only 1 user

Quote:
Using the same logic, all projects wrapped by Yoyo should be removed as well. That's just silly.
Whats silly is the comparison. PSP Proth has now had exactly 3 users in the last month, only 2 in the last 3 weeks and only 1 in the last ~week. As a counterpoint, OGR has had 182 and Yoyo has had over 2600 users in the last month. PrimeGrid, Yoyo and OGR are very active, contested projects. PSP Proth is a dead project, only kept (barely) on life support so that it won't be automatically de-Vaulted.

Quote:
I can't see that this project is breaking any of the rules for inclusion on the DC-Vault.
PSP Proth (other than PrimeGrid) has a very high barrier to participation, higher than any other Vault project. There's very little information about it or the clients. The admin is absent. Most telling is that the only way to get a WU anymore is via e-mail since PrimeGrid automatically reserves all the ranges. While we can quibble over definitions, we both know the project is dead. If it was de-Vaulted, even that 1 last loyal user would drop it faster than Superman drops kryptonite.
Old 1st March 2014, 04:01 PM
Ninja Jotohei

Wrong procedure

As far as I understand, PSP is not a subject for removal in regards to the current Vault rules. Regarding that, I propose that this thread are closed.

Changes in the rules should be discussed/voted on a general level, and not by proposing a removal of a project and then argument for rule change to fit that specific project.

Beyond proposed a change that would have been sufficient 4 years ago:
http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/...t.php?p=360555

It did not receive any support at that time, and I wonder why the rematch is fought on this thread instead of where it belongs.

I'm not arguing pro/con removal of PSP, I just want the discussion where it belongs. If there is a change, this thread should be opened.

.R

Last edited by runesk; 1st March 2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 1st March 2014, 04:24 PM
Team Norway

No, what is silly is to make a thread about removing a project that is clearly within the vault rules. I see you have run 18 tests, the last in 2010. You figured out how to run it, but apparently you didn't like the project. That is OK, but that has nothing to do with vault inclusion. Neither has project being small any thing to do with inclusion or not. I have been explained by the vault creators that the point system is designed like it is, because they want to help small projects, by making each position count more. Every team interested in progressing in DC-Vault should run this project.

You know this, you also know that your team has to overtake our team on this project to take back first position in the vault. DPC challenged us for top position in this project last summer, they did it by using the power of their computers.

I suggest you start by proposing DC-Vault rule changes.
Old 1st March 2014, 05:04 PM
Ars Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by runesk View Post
and I wonder why the rematch is fought on this thread instead of where it belongs.
My, my, my. I'm surprised. Runesk, you've been a pretty fair guy in the past, yet you can't honestly believe that removing PSP would help the Ars team. It would obviously hasten our fall from 3rd place to who knows where since we benefit a lot from PSP's inclusion in the Vault. As you know we're a threat to no one anymore. There's no way the a team like Ars could ever compete with the big teams based on nationalism. That said, I just don't think an obviously dead project like PSP Proth should remain in the Vault. It would be nice to hear from some members of smaller teams to see what they think. If most people think it should stay then so be it. Closing the thread makes no sense to me except to stifle free speech. God knows there is little enough discussion in the Vault forums anymore. Frankly I thought the suggestion to remove PSP Proth would be a no brainer, apparently instead it's a political football. Whatever, but I still think it would go at least a little way to making the Vault more fair for smaller and newer teams.
Old 2nd March 2014, 07:36 AM
Ninja Jotohei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
My, my, my. I'm surprised. Runesk, you've been a pretty fair guy in the past, yet you can't honestly believe that removing PSP would help the Ars team.
Your skill in misunderstanding impresses me. The rematch I am referring to, is the rule change you proposed 4 years ago.

If you really read that I oppose your removal suggestion as a battle between Ars and TN, you should take a break, breath slowly and probably buy new glasses.

.R
Old 2nd March 2014, 05:26 PM
Ars Technica

I just don't understand why the hostility when we were simply having what I thought was a useful discussion. Why can't we just discuss the issues? Obviously there are emotions involved. A few years ago the Vault forum was a pretty friendly place. It changed, and like a lot of others I was also involved in that. Why can't we return to a nice discussion forum? I'm sure we've all noticed that forum participation has dropped to almost nothing. Why, because when someone does bring up a suggestion it seems too often to end in attack. I'll admit that I was guilty of the same attitude as many others, but being defensive is not a good way to live.

That said, this suggestion is not worth getting people angry, so as far as I'm concerned it's dropped. Bye and peace be with you.
Old 3rd March 2014, 02:55 PM
Ninja Jotohei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
I just don't understand why the hostility when we were simply having what I thought was a useful discussion.
No hostility, just pointing out that this is not a discussion about removing PSP, its a discussion about rule changes.

You brought up standings and accused me of having some kind of agenda.

I apologize for the harsh words in that reply and would like to have a civilized discussion regarding potential rule change in an appropriate thread if you like.

.R
Old 3rd March 2014, 03:50 PM
Ars Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by runesk View Post
No hostility, just pointing out that this is not a discussion about removing PSP, its a discussion about rule changes.

You brought up standings and accused me of having some kind of agenda.

I apologize for the harsh words in that reply and would like to have a civilized discussion regarding potential rule change in an appropriate thread if you like.

.R
Hi Runesk, Wasn't intending an accusation. Sorry if it sounded that way. I apologize for any misunderstanding. As far as PSP, I thought it was a good idea to remove it, but like I said it's not worth starting a fuss. Anyway it's better for Ars if it stays in the Vault, so it's dumb to fight over it. Now it will be a bit longer until the #4 team catches us

On a more important note, i updated my friend's photo to a newer version on the avatar. The old guy is 15.5 and for a dog his size that's a long time. He's approaching EOL and he's sure been a good friend