Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > New Projects

Old 26th December 2016, 03:04 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Rusty is working on it. We see no reason not to add it at this time. It will more than likely be added to the bio/medical for now. Based on their description, it could be moved to Misc. in the future depending on what they add to the project.
Old 26th December 2016, 04:21 PM
Ars Technica

So far it's been GENE@HOME which is obviously a Bio project. I suppose that could change sometime in the future though.
Old 4th January 2017, 09:19 AM
Owner

I am so sorry guys. I have a lot of personal problems at home. I promise I will add it asap

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Dump of the day in Folding@Home   Dump of the week in Folding@Home   Dump of the month in Folding@Home   Stomp of the week in Folding@Home   Stomp of the month in Folding@Home  
Old 4th January 2017, 04:37 PM
Dutch Power Cows

No worries Rusty, some things have priority, even over DC-Vault

Kidding...good luck in sorting out your personal issues.
Old 5th January 2017, 05:16 PM
Ars Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiK-oz View Post
No worries Rusty, some things have priority, even over DC-Vault
Kidding...good luck in sorting out your personal issues.
+1
Old 6th January 2017, 01:45 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Looks like Rusty got it added. Now just waiting for the stats to show.
Old 6th January 2017, 08:12 PM
[H]ard|OCP

And the stats are updating. Thanks Rusty .
Old 9th February 2017, 12:53 PM
Ninja Jotohei
Dutch Power Cows

No work at the moment.
Old 9th February 2017, 02:59 PM
Ars Technica

From the admin:
Quote:
We are almost done with the Ec (Escherichia coli mono) experiment. As many of you have probably noticed we were switching to another organism (Vv, Vitis Vinifera). Complex organisms have a larger genome (our Ec dataset contains ~4000 genes, the Vv one ~28000). The application basically finds one-to-one interactions between all the genes of the dataset, so the output file is bigger on more complex organisms.

This is obviously a problem. A ~30 minutes run will produce a ~6 Mb output file (gzipped). Many people around the world simply don't have enough internet bandwidth to handle this. This is also a problem for us (more hard disk storage used).

The only way to solve this is to rethink the way the output file is built, maybe with some kind of filtering. But this means rewriting the application output code, i.e. it will take time to do this.

In the meanwhile we stopped the Vv experiment and are switching back to the dream5 experiment (see the science section of the forum) which is also based on Ec (smaller output file)

Thanks all for your understanding.

[edit] You may notice some workunits shortage in the meanwhile
http://gene.disi.unitn.it/test/forum...php?id=157#884
Old 10th February 2017, 04:31 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Also from the admin
Quote:
Yep, the work generator is running, making Vv workunits, but at this moment it is not able to handle all the requests. Its speed is about 332 new workunits every 9 minutes. I guess that we have to optimize it a little bit ....
Which is something we need to consider here. I think we should watch it a bit longer to see what they come up with or if they simply just take too long to address it.

This is what I have to watch out for, but it isn't a DC-Vault concern.
Quote:
You have to think about the scale of things though.

Let's go with a user with 100 cores to offer(since I have around that many and that's how I did the math since it was easy),and each WU only takes 30 minutes and makes that 6MB output file.

That's 1.2GB to upload every hour. ~29GB every day. ~864GB per month.

For someone with a lot more compute power that could really scale out. It looks like you have ~500 cores,and while I'm sure that's spread out across projects if you only ran this project and those Vv WUs you would end up using terabytes of upload per month....and I'm pretty sure your ISP would be giving you a call at that point.

Not to mention what it would be like to the computer at the other end of that. The server status shows ~13K tasks underway,so imagining that as the core count of all end users,scale that out. That's terabytes of transfer PER DAY.'
Old 12th February 2017, 03:21 PM
Ars Technica

Seems like new work generation is currently keeping up with demand. FWIW I haven't noticed any problem getting work all along. The RACs of various teams also seem to have been holding fairly stable. Sure is easier to get consistent work at TN-Grid than at some of the other Vault projects. SETI and GPUGrid work is often spotty and GoofyXGrid seems to have consistent problems generating work and keeping their server running (in fact it'd down again right now).
Old 12th February 2017, 03:25 PM
Neophyte
MODist Free-DC

I'm still having issues getting TN-Grid work. Some systems are working fine while others won't get any work.
Old 13th February 2017, 01:11 PM
Dutch Power Cows

They are facing an issue causing a WU shortage. Should be fixed shortly according to admin.
Old 3rd April 2017, 03:36 AM
Ninja Jotohei

New Updates on site from Admin regarding updates and volume increases. They have work available.

Bill F
Old 25th May 2017, 11:55 PM
Ninja Jotohei

TN-Grid (aka Gene@home) update

Well the project has had steady work and the testers and developers are working to optimize the current 1.02 App. Message board indicates that an upgraded App will be released at the end of May.

Credits have been steady and user base is increasing (still small for number of Active users).

So far I have had only one issue and that involved a batch of WU's that had download issues since then no issues.

Bill F