Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > Team Ninja DC Projects > General Distributed Computing Meetingstone

Old 27th February 2012, 12:58 PM
Ninja Shoi

DC -Offline internet question

Hi
are there any DC medical projects that can be ran without a full time internet connection - the systems can be attached to the internet for client set up then they will be disconnected and the work units can be generated then the results downloaded to a zip/pen drive etc and uploaded to the home servers - or do all projects require continual internet access
Any advise would be appreciated
Kindest regards
Tom
Old 27th February 2012, 06:48 PM
Owner

G'day Tom,

As to an off-line version... No. BOINC has a hissy fit when it doesn't have net access. And seeing as most Bio's are running BOINC, your not in to much luck. However.

Now if it were only one computer at work you'd be utilizing, you'd be able to install a separate version of BOINC on your home computer (using the /a option, for instance), download work with that, copy the whole directory onto a USB stick, bring it to work, copy the directory onto the non-net comp, run the work on the non-net comp, when done copy the whole directory onto the USB stick, bring home, copy the directory to the home computer and upload.

/a - This unpacks the BOINC package without using the full installer. The Installer will start up and ask you where you want to unpack to. Just browse to or type in a new destination and folder.

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Old 28th February 2012, 12:21 AM
Ninja Shoi

Hi Rusty
much obliged for the info - but I think I may have found a way round getting internet access to the extra systems
Kindest regards
Tom
Old 7th March 2012, 11:32 PM
Ninja Shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
G'day Tom,

As to an off-line version... No. BOINC has a hissy fit when it doesn't have net access. And seeing as most Bio's are running BOINC, your not in to much luck.
I have been messing around with Boinc on a pc without constant internet - not had any problems at all, set it download a bunch a units to cache and every so often connect it up to send units and get new ones.

if you have found a way of around your original problem data ignore this but just in case your solution doesn't work out might be worth a try depending on your circumstances - in my case i only have to move one pc and connect it up so it not too much of a chore
Old 28th March 2012, 03:39 PM
The Original Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DATA View Post
Hi Rusty
much obliged for the info - but I think I may have found a way round getting internet access to the extra systems
Kindest regards
Tom
If the other systems are on your property Data you could try a Poweline network, they would have to be on the same ringmain. If you Talking about somewhere else how about setting up a MiFi with a cheap 6 month data sim card?

Just a thought