Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > New Projects

View Poll Results: Add POGS to the Vault
Yes 14 93.33%
No 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th March 2012, 12:55 PM
theSkyNet Dev
theSkyNet Dev

This is close to what we had already, but it is great to see we are thinking alike. Fortunately each user has a unique identifying number that doesn't change when a user changes their nickname.

The way I am working with exportable stats, it should allow you to define which parameters you want to plot against; this means you should never have to worry about having 100% accurate stat, as all the raw data should be available.
Old 9th March 2012, 03:33 PM
Dutch Power Runner! Uhm, Cow
DPC - crew member

It's probably me but I don't understand the "client". I have to start a HTML-file and then press some buttons and hope I start the client. I now always go to the server and start the applet. I'm just testing here of course. I don't like DC-programs installed as a service because I tend to switch between projects. So a nice GUI would be nice, together with some possibility to influence the client.

Like how many cores or %CPU can it take or pause the client (I also play games).
Old 9th March 2012, 08:29 PM
Ninja Recruit
Dutch Power Cows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageotas View Post
As for the SKA being in the Netherlands; the honest answer is that your country is too small! The high density cluster that forms the centre of the Australian proposed SKA is larger than the Netherlands entire landmass! Furthermore, in Europe in general there is simply too much RF noise. Overcast weather doesn't affect us anywhere near as much as nearby mobile telephone towers, above ground power transmission cables, or even the unshielded alternators in some cars! So obviously we couldn't put the SKA in the Netherlands, because from what I hear, you guys have an absolutely AMAZING mobile coverage :P
Well it was a joke. But some questions remain: At what point will we get some real data? Like when will we process data that hasn't been processed before or real data from the ASKAP grid?
Old 11th March 2012, 09:24 PM
Ninja Recruit
Dutch Power Cows

Hmm: http://www.nature.com/news/south-afr...escope-1.10205

Meanwhile also watched this: http://freerangescience.org.au/event/ska-bendigo/
That very nicely explained a lot.

Last edited by iconized; 11th March 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 22nd March 2012, 06:31 PM
Ninja Recruit
Dutch Power Cows

SKA fight grows hotter
Shame that it gets politicised.
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:09 PM
Owner

Thanks iconized

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Old 27th March 2012, 05:52 AM
theSkyNet Dev
theSkyNet Dev

Hi guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconized View Post
Well it was a joke. But some questions remain: At what point will we get some real data? Like when will we process data that hasn't been processed before or real data from the ASKAP grid?
We will be doing brand new data as soon as we are confident that the system is producing correct results at a rate that is consistent, and that the erroneous data is able to be automatically identified and re-run without human intervention. We are SUPER close to this, but there is still just under 1% of results that are slightly off that we need to account for.

For what it is worth, while the work we have been doing is old data, the way we have been analysing it is quite often new. Imagine a sheet of paper; you can fold it in half one way and you get a rectangle with one set of dimensions, and when you fold it in half the other way you get a rectangle with entirely different dimensions, and yet the surface area is still exactly one half of the original. Take that analogy to its extremes, and if you fold the paper in just the right way, and enough times, you get a swan (or crane)! So no, the data isn't new, but the way in which we are using theSkyNet to work with the data is new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconized View Post
SKA fight grows hotter
Shame that it gets politicised.
The political side of things was inevitable, we are trying to focus on what really matters, and that is the science.
Old 27th March 2012, 08:34 PM
Dutch Power Runner! Uhm, Cow
DPC - crew member

[offtopic]Last week I went to a lecture about LOFAR, as I understand it LOFAR is to gain knowledge for the South African version of it. Lot's of this lecture I didn't fully understand but it's still interesting. Just getting started in the outer space area here, lot's to learn. [/offtopic]
Old 7th May 2012, 08:32 PM
Ninja Recruit
Dutch Power Cows

Has been silent again for so long here (the DC-Vault sub fora as whole), so some old news on the SKA project:
http://www.skatelescope.org/news/ska...ite-selection/

They set up a small scientific working group to further investigate what site would be best for the SKA grid. It sounds good, it might depoliticise the decision making.
This forum is not a political one but personally I think geopolitical situations should be considered as well in the final decision for the location. It should be more important than money because the project has to succeed.

Anyway I am not familiar with the projected location in South Africa. It's somewhere in the north of SA I think. Is it a national park with wild animals roaming around?
Seriously just imagine being an elephant with the skin of an elephant and there is that scope's pole over there and you have a serious itch.
On the other hand some dingos or kangaroos can also seriously disturb the measurements of a scope in Australia. Some scopes will be build in New Zealand and well, it can get kinda rocky over there.

One thing is for sure, the decision will be a difficult one.

Last edited by iconized; 7th May 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 13th August 2013, 03:19 AM
Ninja Recruit

Looks like they now have a BOINC application side. The Project home page references a move to a new combination Web site supporting BOINC as they move forward. I created a BOINC account and added one Host. Length of work on the first work unit for that older Host was 2 hours.

We will see how things develop the Project is showing stats on BOINCstats that are growing nicely.

Bill
Worldwide TechServices
Old 15th August 2013, 02:41 AM
Owner

Thats great news
Old 27th September 2013, 01:26 AM
Owner

Runs great.. Anyone else with feedback.
Old 27th September 2013, 02:19 AM
Ninja Shoi

I cranked out nearly a million points with the Boinc client. Flawless so far.
Old 30th September 2013, 04:06 AM
Owner

And why are you not of the team? lol

http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/team_...hp?teamid=1950
Old 30th September 2013, 11:06 PM
Ninja Shoi

I guess all of my points are on the SourceFinder side. Do we really need two teams for this project? I guess we do.