Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > Project Removal

Old 6th January 2012, 01:45 PM
[H]ard|OCP

Spinhenge@home

There has been no work for over a month. It may be time to start the project removal clock.
Old 6th January 2012, 05:09 PM
Ninja Recruit
Dutch Power Cows

Ah well, I hope they got some work for us again soon.
Old 6th January 2012, 10:27 PM
Scottish twit, extremis

Here's some more information pertaining to Spinhenge:
  • It has actually been 3 months since work was last issued for Spinhenge, BUT, they issued a statement in late Sept that they were intending to take a 3 month break -> "we will pause Spinhenge@home for about three month. We plan to upgrade the server hardware, the client and the server hardware. We also need some time to evaluate the results of the last two series (the *fe30_map_*_* and the core_shell_nanoparticles). Updates about our progress will be post on the news and our forum."
  • That was the good news. The 3 months are up and no new posting has been made as to resumption. They did post a holiday message in late Dec, and another item in Nov. about server crashes (which there were and now seem gone).
  • Forum is not active
I agree Razor, it's time to start the clock.

I have a login to their forum (I think). I will try posting to ask for an update and see what kind of a response I get.

posted -> http://www.altes-beckhaus.com/fusion...?thread_id=566

Team Ninja Stats Site
Sig courtesy of Chelle ... I love it to death
Dump of the month in Dimes   Stomp of the month in Dimes  

Last edited by 10:13; 6th January 2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: can't spell ...
Old 7th January 2012, 04:56 AM
[H]ard|OCP

Thanks 10:13 for the additional info.
Hopefully they will respond and more importantly produce some work for us to crunch.
Old 12th January 2012, 06:41 AM
Scottish twit, extremis

Further information since last post:

• Over the weekend, the forum server went offline. No project response to my post/query had been recorded.
  • While the forum server is still down, a news item has been posted on the main project page stating that they've noticed and it is being worked on.
  • no information posted as to project resumption.

While this seems to indicate good news in the long run, I'm not sure there is anything here (yet) to stop the removal process.
Old 12th January 2012, 02:03 PM
Ars Technica

News January 11, 2012
The forum server is down. We are working on it.

December 28, 2011
Das Team von Spinhenge wünscht allen Teilnehmern und ihren Familien ein gutes Jahr 2012. Vielen Dank für die großartige Unterstützung in 2011.
The team of Spinhenge wish all participants and their families a good 2012. Thanks for the great support in 2011.
Best regards
The Spinhenge team

November 23, 2011
We have had a hard server crash of database server. The spare parts have been built in. After it was repaired I have had to rebuild the database. Now all should work again. If you have trouble please post it on our forum (here).
Were are back online now! We are very sorry for the long outage.
Regards Thomas

September 28, 2011
When the 04_core_shell_nanoparticles series is finished, we will pause Spinhenge@home for about three month. We plan to upgrade the server hardware, the client and the server hardware. We also need some time to evaluate the results of the last two series (the *fe30_map_*_* and the core_shell_nanoparticles). Updates about our progress will be post on the news and our forum.
We thank all users for the great support!!!
Kind regards, Christian Schröder, Thomas Hilbig

http://spin.fh-bielefeld.de/
Old 20th January 2012, 08:43 PM
Owner

So how is Spin going.?

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Old 20th January 2012, 11:55 PM
Scottish twit, extremis

Spin is exactly where it was as of Beyond's post. No more messages on home page, forum server has been and remains down.

At this point I'm not sure whether a poll is required, but the project no longer satisfies the inclusion criteria. There has been no response from the project admins.
Old 21st January 2012, 07:29 PM
Owner

Project deactivated.
Old 1st February 2012, 03:11 PM
Grasshopper
EVGA Strike Force

Looks like they are trying to get things going again:

http://spin.fh-bielefeld.de/

C/P

-----

News
January 31, 2012
First, please excuse the long phase where we have reported nothing new. Thomas has become the successor of Mr. Hartmann and manages now the labs "Compuattional Science Lab" and "Technical Computer Science". This was and is a lot of work and therefore Spinhenge@home came a little bit too short.
Second, the forum is now back online. It can be reached here.
Third, we are currently reorganizing our software architecture for the client application which unfortunately takes much more time than planned. One thing is that we want to merge all input information in just one compact file, so that we can save space and time on your computers. Also, we are implementing several new functions. Most important for us now is a new method that allows us to simulate a magnetic nano system which is subject to a time dependent magnetic field. With this we are able to calculate the so-called AC susceptibility for a system which gives us information about its internal energy barriers. This property is vital for identifying so-called single molecular magnets (SMM). These SMM are candidates for future memory devices since they allow to store information in a much smaller space than conventional magnetic recording materials. The implementation of this method is not that easy and requires the numerical solution of stochastic differential equations which simulate the dynamics of the individual magnetic moments in a nano system. The first big chunk of this task is done and successfully tested (many thanks to Andrértmeier!). We hope to be able to do first test calculations using the new client application soon!
Fourth, we are currently planning the reorganization of our server infrastructure. The three project server should run in the future in a virtual environment.
Please keep fingers crossed! And thanks a lot for your patience!
Kind regards, Christian Schrö der, Thomas Hilbig

-----
Old 2nd February 2012, 03:58 AM
Scottish twit, extremis

This is good news. I hope the project returns to the position where it can be re-included in the Vault. Spinhenge was one of my favorites.
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:05 AM
Owner
Feel the need for MEAD!

Have to agree with 10 on this

attributed to Lazarus Long