Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > New Projects

Old 30th July 2011, 08:35 AM
Owner

LHC@home 2.0(6T)

http://boinc01.cern.ch/

Quote:
LHC@home 2.0 is a volunteer computing platform for physicists working at the Large Hadron Collider - the world's largest particle accelerator - at CERN, the European Particle Physics Laboratory. This platform will host several sub-projects for different LHC physics groups.

LHC@home 2.0 is an extension of the LHC@home platform, launched in 2004 to help physicists simulate protons beam dynamics in the LHC. At that time, doing full-fledged simulations of particle collisions was beyond the scope of volunteer computing. But the evolution of computer software and hardware, and in particular the use of virtual machine technology, has enabled a breakthrough...LHC@home 2.0!

As a result you can now be part of a global effort to simulate data that physicists will use in their analysis of LHC data, by running simulations of particle collisions on your home computer. The first project to run on the LHC@home 2.0 platform - currently in test phase - is called Test4Theory.

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Old 30th July 2011, 05:08 PM
Scottish twit, extremis

Hmmmm .... might have to check this one out.

Team Ninja Stats Site
Sig courtesy of Chelle ... I love it to death
Old 30th July 2011, 05:54 PM
Owner
Feel the need for MEAD!

The more the merrier - as long as they're reliable

attributed to Lazarus Long

Dump of the month in 17OB  
Stomp of the week in World Community Grid   Stomp of the month in World Community Grid  
Old 19th August 2011, 11:42 AM
Scottish twit, extremis

This is the most recent news from the LHC@Home 2.0 site:

Overwhelming interest

Fri, 08/12/2011 - 19:19 — Daniel Lombraña... Interest in LHC@home 2.0 has been overwhelming, following the huge press coverage that a brief mention in a CERN press release got us. Thank you, everyone! Yesterday we reached nearly 8000 registered volunteers, which saturated our server. So we had to put further eager participants on hold while we sorted out how to handle this huge amount of support.
We're going to open gradually to more participants in the coming days. In the meantime, if you are new to the field of volunteer computing, we warmly encourage you to browse here some of the many other exciting science projects you can contribute to, using the same BOINC platform that LHC@home is running on.
The LHC@home 2.0 Team

So, at present they are not accepting new registrations and it will only open gradually. I'll keep checking on this project ... just because it sounds really neat.

10:13
Old 19th August 2011, 12:54 PM
Owner
Feel the need for MEAD!

Already there
Old 8th October 2012, 10:34 PM
Ninja Recruit
Dutch Power Cows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10:13 View Post
I suppose the real question (or one of them): Is t4t suitable for inclusion? Is work consistent enough for the Vault? Has anyone been running the project and what are their thoughts? And lastly, if t4t is suitable, should t4t and lhc be combined as a single project or be two projects. I'd lean in the former direction myself, at least at first thought.
So what do others think?
Old 9th October 2012, 03:58 PM
Neophyte
Dutch Power Cows

As for adding T4T:
Yes, the project ticks all the requirement boxes (kinda hard not too). It's stable (as long as you don't update to the latest virtualbox version), there is work and active project admins.

However I am against adding it to the vault for two reasons:
1. Officially the project is still in BETA.
2. not a fan of the client. It's a VirtualBox VM, so besides having BOINC installed you also need to manually install VirtualBox. Then the massive download starts, you need at least 9GB of free space BOINC can use.

As for combining stats:
I see no reason why you would combine them, T4T and 6T are two separate projects that do their own thing and have different project organisations/admins.

It could be seen as 2 applications from one project (like WCG is one project with alot of different applications). But since both are separated by CERN why bother with the extra work? and also make the vaults stats incomparable with all other stats sites in the process.

Last edited by Qazwaplol; 9th October 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11th October 2012, 04:17 AM
[H]ard|OCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazwaplol View Post
However I am against adding it to the vault for two reasons:
1. Officially the project is still in BETA.
2. not a fan of the client. It's a VirtualBox VM, so besides having BOINC installed you also need to manually install VirtualBox. Then the massive download starts, you need at least 9GB of free space BOINC can use.

As for combining stats:
I see no reason why you would combine them, T4T and 6T are two separate projects that do their own thing and have different project organisations/admins.

It could be seen as 2 applications from one project (like WCG is one project with alot of different applications). But since both are separated by CERN why bother with the extra work? and also make the vaults stats incomparable with all other stats sites in the process.
+1

Last edited by Razor_FX_II; 16th October 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11th October 2012, 11:27 AM
Dutch Power Cows

In looking over the project website, I must say I am opposed to adding it to the vault, for 2 reasons:

- It requires virtualbox software. It complicates things for new users, creates a dependency on distinct versions (they now advise against using 4.2.0, for instance), and I need VMWare on my workstation, and don't really want to install another hypervisor as they might interfere (I did install it on a testbox, and it seems ok, though. But what with future versions?)
- If I understand correctly (reading their FAQ), all tests run for exactly 24 hours - WITHOUT checkpoints. This, for me, is a showstopper. In general, I think checkpoints should be a requirement for inclusion in the vault, or at least for tasks running longer than an hour or so.

As for combining stats : No. They are two seperate projects. Apart from that, what if one of them runs out of work or otherwise fails to meet vault requirements? That would mean removing both of them from the vault, even though one of them still qualifies?
Old 13th October 2012, 11:47 PM
Owner

OK Sorry for the delay. I have added LHC 6T to the stats collection.
Old 14th October 2012, 05:27 PM
Dutch Power Runner! Uhm, Cow
DPC - crew member

--edit-- sorry I was confused about what project we were talking about

Last edited by Xaverius; 15th October 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 14th October 2012, 05:31 PM
Dutch Power Cows

6T is the original LHC project, which does not require VM shit