Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > New Projects

Old 22nd April 2009, 01:17 AM
SeriousCrunchers

IB...just a quick note...I left Chandler Az. on my quest for Nirvana 8 years ago......I'm sorta torn both ways

1. I'm not a big Prime Project fan...but for grins I'll run them for awhile until a (team) priority comes up
2. I've registered at/read a lot of you home forum; and have a lot of respect for what you guys are trying to accomplish
3. Technically ...if you can fulfill the minimum requirements here at Da-Vault then I'ld tend to vote you in
4. I understand that your desire to be included here is to promote your project; BUT I read in your forum that you want stable sticky members/teams...these groups tend to be, shall we say, mobile!
5. I know I read somewhere how long this Project has been in existence; but I can't remember. I understand you people are going full steam ahead working on getting your own place and furniture

This thread is by no means a declaration, but simply a place state the case; and I comment your tenacity

I have my thoughts and they lean both ways...My advice; stay tenacious and when the time comes...tomorrow or 3 months from now, who knows?
Old 22nd April 2009, 03:14 AM
Neophyte

We are in it for the long haul.
Whatever happens, happens.
Whatever doesn't, doesn't.
No harm no foul.
Respect!
Old 25th April 2009, 03:43 PM
SeriousCrunchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
We are in it for the long haul.
Whatever happens, happens.
Whatever doesn't, doesn't.
No harm no foul.
Respect!
my advice...work on it ...get teams ...show some maturity as a project ....as DC-Vault Admins we are collectively watching your project
Old 7th May 2009, 11:57 PM
KWSN - Certified Looney

Ironbits,

There's currently only 12 teams and 72 participants. You should start an advertising drive to get some fresh blood and more teams involved. If you poke around here I'm sure you can find your way on to many a team's forum to do so!

KWSN - Certified Looney
Old 15th May 2010, 04:20 AM
amdusers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport View Post
my advice...work on it ...get teams ...show some maturity as a project ....as DC-Vault Admins we are collectively watching your project
How's the collective watching going? NPLB is still running more than a year after your post. It just needs some recognition to draw in the crowds of crunchers.

Its been running well for me from the day I started crunching it.
Old 15th May 2010, 05:12 AM
Owner

Maybe IronBits could pop by some time and tell us how the project is going.. I am interesting in seeing some results as well..

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Old 15th May 2010, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Once I've finished ironing out a few setup issues with my Boinc clients I'll take a deeper look into this project
Old 16th May 2010, 02:38 PM
amdusers.com

IronBits is not doing DC anymore. I'll ask the project Admin, Gary Barnes, to pop by here.

Last edited by vaughan; 16th May 2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 27th May 2010, 07:59 AM
Grasshopper

A serious look at No Prime Left Behind...

Hello everyone,

I would like for the DC-vault to consider taking a serious look again at the No Prime Left Behind project. The forum for our project is at http://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82. We have been around for about 2-1/2 years and are currently ranked 3rd in total top-5000 primes found as shown at http://primes.utm.edu/bios/top20.php...&by=PrimesRank. We are not far from #1 and would like to ask for some added help.

We have 4 admins that are quite responsive and dedicated to making it a fun experience for everyone. Earlier this year, one of our admins resolved a multi-year issue in the LLRnet client, which allowed a speed increase of 10-20%. We have a very good stats system set up. It can be seen at http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/sta...ntent=progress.

About our objective:
Our goal is to find primes of all sizes for the form k*2^n-1 for k=300-3000. Most searches now are for primes that would come in the top 5000 of all time but we have some smaller tests available also. In doing this, we would like to determine if there are areas that will yield a greater or lesser density of primes per searched candidate or to find trends in where primes can be found more easily in the future. To make this determination, we need a large amount of data on all k-values and would like to find all primes for n <= 1 million for k=300-3000. We also have some searches going for n>1M for those who like infrequent but large primes.

We are having an LLRnet and PRPnet rally the weekend of June 4th thru 6th. For those who are not familiar with rallies on prime search projects, what we do is dogpile all of our resources onto 1 or 2 servers to see how many prime-search tests that we can do in a 48-hour period. Info. about the rally can be found in one of our threads at http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13397. Not only do we see which individuals crunch the most, we have team competitions to see which team can crunch the most. See if your team can beat Raiders of the Lost Primes (ROLP), last month's winner!

If anyone has more advice on how best to advertise the project here or elsewhere or how best to be considered as a project here, we would appreciate it. I see that there were many favorable comments about it last year.

One more clarification: As stated by Vaughan, IronBits is no longer on the project. To the best of my knowledge, he has gotten out of the DC world altogether.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Gary Barnes

Last edited by gd_barnes; 27th May 2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 2nd June 2010, 08:44 AM
Ninja Gunso

Hi Gary

A bit off topic, but might be relevant to you...
Regarding this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
We have 4 admins that are quite responsive and dedicated to making it a fun experience for everyone. Earlier this year, one of our admins resolved a multi-year issue in the LLRnet client, which allowed a speed increase of 10-20%.
I see no reason to run LLRnet other than it hides the cmd windows and creates tray icons instead. If that's why you guys are still using it, I suggest you have a look at "PSP Runner" from DigiK-oz of DPC.

URL: http://www.digik-oz.nl/dcPSP.aspx
Thread: http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13442

-opyrt
Old 9th June 2010, 06:35 AM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyrt View Post
Hi Gary

A bit off topic, but might be relevant to you...
Regarding this:

I see no reason to run LLRnet other than it hides the cmd windows and creates tray icons instead. If that's why you guys are still using it, I suggest you have a look at "PSP Runner" from DigiK-oz of DPC.

URL: http://www.digik-oz.nl/dcPSP.aspx
Thread: http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13442

-opyrt

Can you tell me what alternative software that you are suggesting?

LLRnet was brought up to date by the NPLB admins and runs just as quickly as manual LLR or PRPnet. See http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13165. Although we have mostly LLRnet servers, we do have one PRPnet server. It's just a matter of preference.

Few of us have reason to hide the command windows so that is not the reason we are using LLRnet.

Gary
Old 9th June 2010, 06:53 AM
Ninja Gunso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Can you tell me what alternative software that you are suggesting?
I suggest PRPNet as it much more flexible when it comes to new versions of LLR (just copy the new llr.exe instead of having to recompile the entire program).

But I feel I'm off-topicing this thread, which was not my intention.
Old 7th August 2010, 03:44 PM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyrt View Post
I suggest PRPNet as it much more flexible when it comes to new versions of LLR (just copy the new llr.exe instead of having to recompile the entire program).

But I feel I'm off-topicing this thread, which was not my intention.
FYI, our updated version of the LLRnet client does allow the llr.exe file to be switched out just like PRPnet. (And it actually doesn't have the ability to minimize to the system tray any more. )

In fact, though, we've been quite pleased with recent PRPnet versions and their ability to handle large #'s of clients on all variety of n-sizes. While at this time we only have one public PRPnet server (port 9000, covering our project priority for the rest of the year, the 5th Drive), we are discussing internally plans to switch more servers over.

Meanwhile, though, we have another rally in the making--I'll post that separately since it's kind of long.
Old 7th August 2010, 03:49 PM
Grasshopper

Hi everyone,

Based on comments provided after our last rally, we've decided to try something new this time: a week-long rally! We figured that if people are going to go to all the trouble of moving their cores over to the rally servers, why do it all over again to take them back off in only 48 hours? PrimeGrid has done week-long rallies in the past with success, so it's not an entirely new idea; we're hoping it will go over well here too.

The rally will begin Thursday, August 12 at 7:00 PM GMT and finish 168 hours later on Thursday, August 19 at 7:00 PM GMT. For those of you who can't convert GMT to local time , that's 3:00 PM EDT and 2:00 PM CDT. Last time we had to do crazy stuff with PRPnet port 9000 since LLRnet reports local time and PRPnet GMT, but since then PRPnet has been changed to report local time as well, so the official start/end times should be pretty straightforward.

As last time, this rally will be focusing on the 5th Drive, our priority for the rest of the year (or until we finish it to n=1M, which will hopefully come first). That means LLRnet port 3000 and PRPnet port 9000, both of which should be in the vicinity of n=850K-900K during the rally.

LLRnet config info.:
server = "www.noprimeleftbehind.net"
port = 3000

PRPnet config info.:
server = "www.noprimeleftbehind.net"
port = 9000
Or, in terms of a prpclient.ini config line:
server=G9000:100:1:noprimeleftbehind.net:9000

Be sure and change your userID to whatever ID you prefer. Most people use their ID here at mersenneforum. It is also best to set the cache at from around 2 to 10 pairs.

Info. for downloading the newest LLRnet client can be found at LLRnet supports LLR V3.8! (LLRnet2010 V0.73L).

Info. for downloading the newest PRPnet client can be found at PRPnet.

As a point of interest for those who might be new to NPLB and for others who haven't done any testing with us for a while, we have some milestones that we would like to shoot for in the near future. Please refer to our primes graph and drive progress as well as to our "Countdown meter". NPLB's goal all along has been to fill in holes in the prime search ranges for Riesel base 2. We'd like to get the dots in that k=300-1001 range fully extended to n=1M by year end 2011 so that they are closer to where k<300 (worked by RPS) is at. In targeting k=400-600 for the 3rd consecutive time in this rally, we have set a relatively aggressive goal to have it tested completely to n=1M by year end 2010.

Last time we had a very close race between ROLP and PrimeSearchTeam, the latter ending up winning by a mere 194 k/n pairs. We also had participation from both AMD Users and Team-Goobee.org, coming in 3rd and 4th place respectively. We'd love to see some even more varied participation this time around--even though NPLB isn't in the DC-Vault (yet!), we do feel we're ready for admission by now, and in the meantime, I invite anyone who's interested to come and make a showing for their team--the more the merrier! These rallies are always a real blast and this time with it being a whole week long, the competition should get quite interesting.

Hope to see you there!

Max

P.S.: This is mostly a copy-and-paste from our official rally announcement at http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=13672, with a few adjustments. Both this thread and that one will be monitored for any questions/comments/etc.