Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > DC Vault > DC Vault Problems and Suggestions

View Poll Results: Should Commercial be accepted and added to the DC-Vault?
YES and why 8 28.57%
NO and Why 20 71.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13th July 2009, 07:34 AM
Ars Technica

To muddy the waters of the commercial question even more, here's a statement from the Aqua project admin/developer today:

> By the way, I wouldn't call AQUA commercial, since we're not making any
> money off of this. We're researching quantum simulation techniques and the
> median scaling of quantum algorithms. Work has been started on the first
> paper reporting the results so far (8 to 240 qubits), comparing quantum
> computer scaling to classical computer scaling. My guess is that there will
> be more papers to come on this too, since from discussions, it sounded like
> there was way more to report than would suit a single paper.

http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_threa...wrap=true#2923
Old 13th July 2009, 08:57 PM
X Grubber Kick Ass Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
OK this thread went off topic really quick..

Seems there is no clear case of what IS or ISNT a commercial project.. And I don't think we all combined could clearly define what is or isnt a commercial project.

So....

Until we can actually nail down what commercial means the Vault will remain open to any project that meets the requirements.
Second that motion. It's the best soulution.
Old 14th July 2009, 12:43 AM
SeriousCrunchers

This should start a BIG fight

....how 'bout entering a category for commercial, right along side Physical Science, Bio, Math, and Misc

....ducking and running!!!!!!
Old 14th July 2009, 12:53 AM
Owner

Team Ninja Forever : Once a Ninja, always a Ninja - Team Ninja

"I'm a SAS NINJA"

Drafted to the SAS
Old 14th July 2009, 02:06 AM
Crunchers Inc

Quote:

Old 14th July 2009, 02:46 AM
SeriousCrunchers

Quote:
so maybe that wasn't such a good idea
Old 14th July 2009, 02:48 AM
Owner

LOL... Just joking
Old 15th July 2009, 02:24 AM
Grasshopper

No - To paraphrase an old movie, sorta...

'It's my P.C. and I'll do with it what ever I want!'

But I'm not paying my electric bill to line the pockets of some Corporate DeepPocket!
Old 15th July 2009, 04:18 AM
Team Haiku Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhastPhred View Post
But I'm not paying my electric bill to line the pockets of some Corporate DeepPocket!
And, why would having a project in the vault force you to?

This is where I'm really confused - I guess it's kinda like TV - if you don't like the channel, change it... but don't insist that it must be removed from the channel lineup just because you don't like it.

Nobody forces you to crunch every project in the Vault - granted, I still believe that a commercial project should be designated as such to help people determine which are/aren't of a commercial nature.
Old 15th July 2009, 08:52 AM
Dutch Power Runner! Uhm, Cow
DPC - crew member

There are people who don't like to participate in commercial projects and they can't get a good score on that project so they are lower in the vault-stats. Maybe it's a bit off in comparison but we're here for the stats but if a cyclist uses doping to get a good result in the tour de france the cyclists who don't use it are set back and it's not a fair competition.

Why not give everybody a fair chance in the DC-vault in stead of dividing the crunchers, let us unite and find a solution so non-commercial crunchers and commercial crunchers can still compare their stats fairly.

Offtopic: it's kinda hard to translate metaphores in english... :X
Old 15th July 2009, 02:02 PM
Ars Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaverius View Post
There are people who don't like to participate in commercial projects and they can't get a good score on that project
A lot of people won't run Math projects. Should we ban those for the same reason?
Whole countries have poor internet connectivity. Should we ban Comm projects?
The list could go on and on...

Last edited by Beyond; 15th July 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 15th July 2009, 05:57 PM
Team Haiku Member

Quote:
Why not give everybody a fair chance in the DC-vault in stead of dividing the crunchers, let us unite and find a solution so non-commercial crunchers and commercial crunchers can still compare their stats fairly.
And what if I claimed that I can't/won't run any project that uses a Windows-only client?

What about projects that require an nVidia graphics card? I don't support nVidia as a company, so I refuse to buy their products - I almost consider that to be a commercial project...

Where do you draw the line? When is there a compromise? Who makes the final decision?
Old 16th July 2009, 08:29 PM
Dutch Power Runner! Uhm, Cow
DPC - crew member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond (Ars) View Post
A lot of people won't run Math projects. Should we ban those for the same reason?
Whole countries have poor internet connectivity. Should we ban Comm projects?
The list could go on and on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by umccullough View Post
And what if I claimed that I can't/won't run any project that uses a Windows-only client?

What about projects that require an nVidia graphics card? I don't support nVidia as a company, so I refuse to buy their products - I almost consider that to be a commercial project...

Where do you draw the line? When is there a compromise? Who makes the final decision?
Guys guys guys, you're hurting me over here. Why is it that it seems to be impossible to make a remark and get a normal response. Why is it so hard to try to get an understanding here instead of bashing every opinion that is not yours...

I also rearly compete in math-projects and my graphic card is Nvidia but it's a 7900 so I can't use it for DC. So there you have it, should I vote NO now for those projects. Also, I run on AMD only. Should I vote no for every project where intel has an advantage? (that will be at almost any project now I presume) Personally, I would find it only fair that graphic card projects should run on ATI and Nvidia to be accepted but I really don't even wanna touch that subject because every time I make a post I only get negative response. Why do I even bother, why? Is it so hard to even see that everybody is entitled of their own opinion?

It is very easy to give your comments, I dare you to think with me instead of only making negative comments. See that your opinion is not the only one in de DC-world.

And I hope that I won't get only negative reactions on my post.
Old 16th July 2009, 08:58 PM
Team Haiku Member

Quote:
It is very easy to give your comments, I dare you to think with me instead of only making negative comments. See that your opinion is not the only one in de DC-world.
I'm not making negative comments for the sake of being negative.

I'm making comments that extend out this "some people don't like commercial projects" concept to point out how ridiculous it is to try and define commercial.

Furthermore, using the excuse: "some people can't get points for commercial projects" is a non-starter. Of course they can, nothing is preventing them from doing so except their own decisions.
Old 16th July 2009, 09:25 PM
Ars Technica

Smile

Sorry Xaverius, I wasn't trying to be unduly negative except to the extent that I don't agree. I was just pointing out that some people not wanting to participate in a project for whatever reason is a troublesome road to follow when choosing projects. For instance I'm not personally fond of Comm projects because I live in an area with narrow bandwidth and a dictatorial ISP. That doesn't mean that I want Comm projects baned, they just don't work for me. Other people have other problems and preferences. I think the Vault rules should be as simple as possible. Complexity breeds the chance of manipulation and that causes all kind of problems.

I personally LIKE your posts very much. but that doesn't mean I will always agree. When I don't I'll probably say so. Please don't take it as an attack.

I sure don't want to be on the wrong side of Yoda, he has the Force with him!
Closed Thread