PDA

View Full Version : Speculative....

RaNGeR.GaV
28th February 2002, 08:00 PM
How much do you dig Cowboy Bebop? :D (just noticed your avatar)
I reckon its the best damn anime I've ever seen! (not that I've seen heaps).
And the music is awesome too!! Simply fits the word "cool!" :)

dicki
28th February 2002, 10:09 PM
i like the series but i wasn't that impressed by the film, the music is great though, another good series to try out is gunsmith cats if you like cowboy bebop...

what other anime stuff are you into? let me know the type you like and i'll try and recommend some

my favorite is furikuri, a bit bonkers though... definatly a love it or hate it series

dicki

RaNGeR.GaV
28th February 2002, 10:50 PM
I'm working my way thru the series atm (like one a night :)). Haven't seen the film yet. I really don't have any other anime series, but I have seen some stuff about gunsmith cats that got me interested. I'm yet to get my hands on any though.
I've got a few of the classic movies (of reasonable quality), but thats about it (Wicked City, Akira, Ghost in the shell, Vampires{?}). I can really only get them at LAN parties ... and most of that stuff is such poor quality that I can't be bothered with it.

This site has got some wicked CB wallpapers on it ... in fact its the reason I started looking for CB stuff in the first place! http://www.big-big-truck.com/bebop/ I made a WinXP logonui with one of them that I liked :)

nitan
1st March 2002, 01:51 AM
Ghost in the Shell is by FAR THE best japanimation cartoon i have ever seen...if u aint seen it and like anime then i suggest u go get it on DVD and watch it..including the special features....just my opinion tho

nitan:)

Farabomb
1st March 2002, 02:15 AM
Nitan Ghost in the Shell is by FAR THE best japanimation cartoon i have ever seen :xnod: agreed. Ninja Scroll was also very good. I just got through all of the Trigun episodes I can find and that is right now my fav. series. I'm gonna try Cowboy Bebop next.

mackerel
1st March 2002, 07:04 AM
Argh! So much to watch, so little time... I've got on DVD (partially unwatched) Nadesico, Card Captor Sakura and The Adventures of The Mini-Goddesses, Haunted Junction, Those who Hunt Elves, Battle Atheletes, Saint Tail, Mahou Tsukai Tai too :D Hmm... I didn't realise I had so much unwatched stuff until I listed it...

Dicki, I've been wondering for a while who your avatar is. Looks like an un-cute version of Askuak from Eva. :D

I saw Riding Bean for the first time recently, is Rally in that supposed to be the same as the one in Gunsmith Cats? They looked quite different to me...

gypseyman
1st March 2002, 08:06 AM
(The cartoon-like 'whooshing' sound you hear is all this going straight over my head... Must check out video store this afternoon..!) ;)

Baptizer
1st March 2002, 11:37 AM
Scooby-DOo is by far the best ANIME series of all time...hands down!

dicki
1st March 2002, 02:12 PM
yeah my avatar is haru from furikuri, scary girl...

i think my favorite anime films are the miyasaki ones, laputa, nausicaa, totoro and stuff like that, grave of the fireflies is very good too.

ghost in the shell is a good film but the book is soooooooo much better, they are in compleatly different classes, if you like ghost in the shell (the book) try appleseed as well

dicki

mackerel
1st March 2002, 07:02 PM
Woah! I didn't realise I was still asleep when I posted that. Of course I ment Asuka... :D

Hmm... Futurama's just started, gotta go!

speculative
2nd March 2002, 10:20 PM
Hehe... looks like I've arrived late to the party!! :)
I'd like to pick up the boxed set of Cowboy Bebop actually (that's what the pic is from) but don't have the cash to spare atm. Gosh, if I start to list all the good anime I like... I'd be here forever! :)

But, some that I really like that haven't been recommended yet are:

Iria (Wild w/out being over-the-top comically)
Patlabor (Mostly realistic, w/great introspective scenes)
Battle Angel Alita - omg, she is definitely the coolest anime gal around, hands down... If you haven't seen this, watch it! :) Also, the books are sweeeeeeeeet...

I also loved Nausicaa - wish I could get that on DVD somehow... "Dang you dirty Disney apes, dang you all to he11!!"

Baptizer
4th March 2002, 01:10 PM
Scooby Doo hands down...
it revolutionized animie......

speculative
4th March 2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Baptizer
Scooby Doo hands down...
it revolutionized animie......

And popularized living in a van down by the river!
:D

Snufkin
4th March 2002, 05:08 PM
and universalised the notion of not doing anything unless rewarded by a Scooby Snack!

Baptizer
4th March 2002, 05:11 PM
lol..you guys are too funny...heheh....

Snufkin
4th March 2002, 05:35 PM
what do I need to do to get some Karma around here? :rolleyes:

RaNGeR.GaV
4th March 2002, 07:33 PM
VIVA LA REVOLUTIONE !!!!!! :D :xuzi:

True, true ... scooby is awesome ... but Ein is pretty cool too ...in a cute Corgi kinda way :confused: :xohyes:

Mondo excellentay viewing ....

... your karma's looking alright Snufkin .. but its one point healthier now ;)

speculative
4th March 2002, 08:22 PM
btw - a couple of great series I forgot:

Maison Ikkoku - College student just trying to survive, but life keeps getting tougher! ;)
You're Under Arrest! Cute police-women on cop bikes chasing down the bad-guys! Can't beat that. ;)

mackerel
4th March 2002, 09:11 PM
Woohoo! I got three seperate packages today filled with stuff :D

First are a few more DVDs I'll probably not have time to get round to watching ;) Love Hina vol 1 (US box), Love Hina live, and Voice Animage vol 11 featuring Inoue Kikuko on the cover :D

The rest are CDs:
Continuing the Love Hina run, I got the OP/ED for both the original series (http://www.win.ne.jp/~doi/seiyuu/cd/love-hina/sakura-saku.html) and Love Hina Again.
Drifting onto Horie Yui, I got her second album (http://www.win.ne.jp/~doi/seiyuu/cd/yui/kuroneko.html) as well as Love Destiny (http://www.win.ne.jp/~doi/seiyuu/cd/sis-pri/love-destiny.html), the Sister Princess OP, and also the SisPri image album my sweet twelve angels (http://www.win.ne.jp/~doi/seiyuu/cd/sis-pri/12-tenshi.html).
Finally I also got the Ah! My Goddess movie soundtrack...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

gypseyman
4th March 2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Snufkin
what do I need to do to get some Karma around here? :rolleyes:

Snuf, if I could give you some more, I would, my man..!

Mind you, compared to SOME FOLKS round here, you ain't doin' too badly... ;) :D

speculative
5th March 2002, 11:59 AM
How did you the a AmG film compared to the series Mackerel? (Another great series I forgot to mention. :) )

mackerel
5th March 2002, 12:27 PM
Very quick review of AMG movie by me:

Visuals are very nice, as is the soundtrack. Well worth getting a DD surround setup for it (believe the limited edition Japanese release also had DTS). K1 looks a bit different from the OAV, Bell is still Bell, and Skuld is cuter than ever :D

Story is self contained though of course knoweledge of the series before helps a lot. I didn't think the story itself was particulary great, just the usual "something bad happens, it gets sorted, the universe is saved" type affair.

So you could liken it to The Matrix or Independance Day in that respect, the visuals and sound are so good that it gets away with an unremarkable story.

speculative
5th March 2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by mackerel
So you could liken it to The Matrix or Independance Day in that respect, the visuals and sound are so good that it gets away with an unremarkable story.

Hmm... I thought the Matrix had a great story. Of course, maybe I'm just old-fashioned... :)

-spec

Baptizer
5th March 2002, 04:27 PM
I also thought the Matrix was a great story(it was a wonderful mix of top-of-the-line technology and a great story). Can someone please tell me how the Matrix was an unremarkable story?

RaNGeR.GaV
5th March 2002, 07:27 PM
heheh .... simple Bap ... its not :)
Awesome movie ... one of my all-time fav's...

I have REALLY got to get myself a DVD player .. but because of my stereo system I have to get the more expensive models that have AC3(DTS whatever), decoder onboard :|

And also if I do get one I KNOW my credit card will NEVER recover if I start wanting to buy DVD's .... there's far too many movies that I want to get!! (And thats without even starting on the anime :))

mackerel
5th March 2002, 08:36 PM
Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh there. I really like The Matrix as a movie. But as a story, well... I think I need to stop analysing it and enjoy it more. Like so many things, the more I think about it, the less logical it appears and I eventually end up in a "what's the point in life" sorta arguement. Must stop thinking about doing stuff, and actually get out there doing it :D

I've already taken the plunge and got a surround setup, but the urge to tweek and upgrade is still there. I need better rear speakers, and a sub! That and a nice widescreen TV would be nice...

RaNGeR.GaV
5th March 2002, 10:08 PM
Next you'll be wanting to overclock it ;)

mackerel
5th March 2002, 10:25 PM
I'm sure I can get 30 kHz out of the tweeters... :D