PDA

View Full Version : Why must i wait 10 days !!!!

Surgeon General
21st February 2002, 03:54 AM
I went to the gun store today to buy some .45 and 9mm ammo for my trip to the range this Friday. I picked up 200 rounds of each, payed at the counter and was ready to leave when I started to talk to the sales man. He knew that I had been looking for something in a 308 and he told me he had a nice savage 308 w/scope for $400.00.
I could not resist the deal so I busted out my credit card again and purchased it.
Now my question is, do you guys think it's dumb that I have to wait 10 days to pick up my Bolt action rifle when I have 6 weapons at home already?
The sales man showed me how he could see all the weapons registered in my name so it's obvious I qualify to own one.
The waiting period was originaly set up to check to see if people could legally purchase a weapond and also so that people that where ticked at someone would not run out and buy a gun to kill then, hence the 10 "cool down" period.
In my case I have pleanty of weapons at home so would not need to go out and buy one if I where ticked and wanted to off someone (not that I ever would )
Don't know, maybe I am just ranting because I will not be able to take my newest weapon to the range this week, will have to wait till next weekend:(

NorthernYankee
21st February 2002, 04:41 AM
I agree with ya here SG, it is a total load. But think you just got a sweet deal on an even sweeter rifle.

--NY

GITster
21st February 2002, 07:40 AM
SG, you scare me.

Baptizer
21st February 2002, 10:50 AM
you scare me too...heheh...

Gibbon
21st February 2002, 11:14 AM
Yep you scare me too SG :D

Lolboy
21st February 2002, 11:25 AM
I'm not scared. He's all the way over the other side of the pond. If I ever upset him he would never get his guns thru the security cos they're so good!

Lolboy.

Lolboy
21st February 2002, 11:25 AM
Then again...

dicki
21st February 2002, 04:43 PM
yeah it does seem pretty dumb if you allready have so many weapons. 9mm and .45's are pretty large weapons arn't they... arn't .22's more practicle (lighter/stronger, more accurate, higher rate of accurate fire etc etc)? just curious, i've never used a hand gun only rifles and shot guns.

dicki

NorthernYankee
21st February 2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by dicki
yeah it does seem pretty dumb if you allready have so many weapons. 9mm and .45's are pretty large weapons arn't they... arn't .22's more practicle (lighter/stronger, more accurate, higher rate of accurate fire etc etc)? just curious, i've never used a hand gun only rifles and shot guns.

dicki

.22's are good if you are trying to stop a squirrel:D Honestly though .45's and 9mm are a good size and any good one will not have too much of kick and even a beginner could learn to handle one.

--NY

Baptizer
21st February 2002, 06:24 PM
I only purchase bazookas...the Z332 model is fabulous for clearing out areas...

Surgeon General
21st February 2002, 06:25 PM
I have a compact colt .45 officers model, nice and small, about the size of my hand, My 9mm is a little bigger. Actually my .22 handgun is bigger than both of them. the 22 is more for plinking around cans and stuff, sure it will kill a person (it's the types of hand gun that the kid did a high school shooting with here in san diego not to long ago.
To give you and idea , a .45 round will leave a 1/2 hole where it enters and about a grape fruit size whole where it exits. A .22 makes a hole the size of a large lemon.
Hey, why do you guys say that I scare you? I am mearly excersising my constitutional right to own weapons.:D

Gibbon
21st February 2002, 06:45 PM
I'm not scared you'd use them in a bad way SG

I'm just scared why you need feel you need them... Rough Neigbourhood? :D

NorthernYankee
21st February 2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Gibbon

No rough Enemies:D Remember what happened with his dog...lol But being in the military you need to keep your range skills up.

--NY

Surgeon General
22nd February 2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Gibbon

The rifle I just purchased is not realy what I would want to use to kill some one, it's a 308 bolt action rifle, used for hunting, target practice, only use it would have against people would be at a med to long range kill. The only weapon I currently keep loaded is the .45 @ my bed.
I don't know how things are where you live Gibbon, but here in San Diego there are people that don't respect people's property or lives for that matter. They feel that they can just break into your home and take what they want like it's there right or something. I have no pity or concern for these types of people and feel that the world would be a lot better off without them in it.
So if I am ever awaken at night by the sounds of breaking glass or a breaking door, I would have no proplem placing a couple of .45 rounds in someone's chest.

Player0
22nd February 2002, 01:28 AM
Just one more silly law lol. It would make more sense to me to sell you the gun and make you wait for the bullets ;)

Either way, if you have guns at home, its kind of silly.

Mothdiver
22nd February 2002, 03:02 PM
Hi guys,

There is a county NW of Atlanta called Fulton County I think, they have county laws that state you can't live there unless you own a gun, I wonder what their cool down period is.

Why is that all the countries around the world were guns are easy to get hold of, have the highest number of gunshot fatalities, I do believe that guns don't kill people, people kill people, guns just make it easier.

JohnyX
22nd February 2002, 04:03 PM
The law was probably writen without that loophole. You could have qualified at one time but spent some time in the looney bin shortly there after. Er...that wasnt too politically correct was it. You may have gone nuckin futs and wanted the rifle for sniping from the roof tops.

Many moons ago when I lived in Hampton, VA I had a friend that lived in a neighborhood that started off ok and went down hill quick. One example of what would happen on any given weekend. A man and his live in lover got in a rather heated arguement and she stabbed him in the neck with a knife. He fled the apartment, jumped in his truck and sped off to get to the hospital. When he got to a turn he passed out from loss of blood and his truck plowed into another apartment. The person renting that apartment came out and shot the guy in the truck even though he saw that the guy was no threat just because the guy had damaged his apartment. How's that for rough. Even though my friend had some high end high fi and a great home entertainment system he was never bothered or robbed as he made a big "show" of going to the range for target practice. His weapon was an Uzi.

dicki
22nd February 2002, 04:06 PM
don't mossad and a lot of the russian special forces use 22's? those guys are nothing to laugh at... surely if you aim correctly you can put a guy down with a 22. 45's and 9mm have a lot more impact and stopping power sure but that won't help if you only wing the guy (of course aiming with a 9mm would work pretty well too but if your going to the trouble of aiming you might as well use a high precision weapon)

dicki

nitan
23rd February 2002, 03:09 PM
surgeon i feel for u...having to wait 10days when u already are clearly a respnsible owner of numerous other weapons is silly.

Dicki: i believe the .22 (.22 = 5.56mm) round formatt can vary. There are low velocity rim fire versions and High velocity centre fire versions. I have fired both types and both cud do some serious damage but the HV round is same as the one used in both the SA80 and the M16 rifle (ie do far more damage than the rim fire). i dont know much about .22 handguns (anyone care to fill me in)...tho i have fired a couple of 9mm semi-auto types at Cheshunt Shooting Club (b4 they were banned)...gr8 fun...tho i prefer rifle shooting...

nitan :)

dicki
23rd February 2002, 03:41 PM
i didn't know you used to go shooting nitan, how do you get into it in the uk? i can't even think where to ask about it.

yeah rifle rounds and hand gun rounds are compleatly different i allways find it funny in films when they often show rifles and handguns in a very similer way with similer sorts of stopping power, in real life they are compleatly different

dicki

nitan
23rd February 2002, 03:46 PM
I used to be in the CCF at school thats how i got into rifle shooting, as for handguns one of my dads mates at work is a member of Cheshunt Gun club and i have went to a couple of the open days where friends of members can go along...

nitan:)

Boysen
24th February 2002, 06:28 AM
It's late so I hope I do this well...

I strongly support the 2nd amendment, have owned several guns, and even pulled a gun on someone once (he deserved it)

For the last twenty years I personally do not believe in gun ownership

About twenty years ago I came home to find a window open in my house that had been left closed. I parked my car and peered into the window to see a man walking around in my house. I happened to have a .357 with me at the time and accosted said fellow seconds later as he was leaving my house. On the front lawn I held him at gun point. There were several people out and about on the street. Two thoughts went through my head. First is that when the cops showed up they would instinctively train their weapons on me. I figured I could work through that though it was an unsettling thought. More important, and this is important, is that I didn't want to shoot him. It is very, very dangerous to pull a gun on someone unless you are willing to shoot them no questions asked. A moments hesitation could result in a gun being turned on its owner.

At the time I owned several guns, including a lever action .357 that was really a gem and somehow seemed appropriate to own living in the good 'ol USA west. I owned the guns for sport and defense. But after pulling a gun on someone, and thinking through the pros and cons of gun ownership, I decided that it was not for me.

It does not mean that I can not defend myself, I can. And will if needed.

It is people who kill people, not guns who kill people, and it is people who defend themselves and not guns who defend people.

Mothdiver
24th February 2002, 12:46 PM
Boysen well said,

There's a salutary tale if I ever heard one, after all the real problems begin immediatly after the defending yourself, even over there.

I was travelling north through Georgia listening to nothing particular on the radio when a self defense expert was brought on to discuss personal protection and defense for yourself and family, one of the things he stressed was the aftermath if somebody gets seriously hurt by your actions, because if they live they will sue.

He made particular reference to guns and those cosh's which are a steel spring with a steel ball on the end, if you use either of these items in self defence, you will have to prove conclusively it was self defence with a weapon that serves no other purpose than to injure people and there never was any intent to injure people with such weapons. He then went on to say carry a baseball bat and ball, because then you can say you were having a game in the park and the bat happens to have been left in the car.

Surgeon General
24th February 2002, 03:40 PM
Hey Boysen, I take it you don't have any of the weapons you owned anymore? If you have anything you might want to sell let me know, I will do all the DROS and shipping.

As far as drawing down and discharing a weapon I have always been taught not to take it to a personal level. Don't look at the target as a person but rather as simply that, a target that may or may not need to be eliminated. If you look at it as a person you might start to think about it having a family or kids and you may hesitate in eliminating it if the need arises.
Don't get to close eather, all that gun-to-the-head stuff is only for the movies because you can be disarmed that way, you have to keep about 5 feet from the target make it lie on the ground and face the dirt till the police arrive.
Police are smart to asses situations, if they come to your house and see you drawing down on a target, they WILL draw down on both of you, (trust me on this one, I know from experience) and then they will have you lower your weapon, move away from it, lay on the ground in above mentioned face down postiton, handcuff you then sort everything out.
But when it's all over the bad guy goes away and you get to go home.

Boysen
25th February 2002, 04:12 AM
Nope, sorry SG. All gone for about twenty years.

The only ones I really regret parting with were a matched pair of .357 ruger short barrel and the Winchester .357 lever action rifle. The Winchester held eleven rounds that I could empty faster the my six round pump shotgun. Having the two guns matched provided quite the versatality in firepower in a single caliber. I used to carry them hiking in desert canyons outside of town and felt... very secure. If'n I had me my boots and hat on I felt positively manly :D

Interestingly I sold everything before moving to California. It was just to much for LA and made me nervous. I was only there for a year but all things considered I probably made the right decision. I was burglarized twice while living in Torrence.

About five years ago I had a neighbor who was constantly arming the criminal element in town. He kept having his house broken into and his guns stolen only to have them replaced by the insurance company and then to have them stolen again. When I moved away he was on his second replacements. Somehow I think his premiums ended up costing more then the guns - or a good gun safe for that matter :rolleyes: