PDA

View Full Version : Even my insurance company !!!

Surgeon General
17th January 2002, 02:35 PM
You know something i am really sick and tired of? When you are filling in a form or something and they have that question about your ethnic/race. I am not sure if you guys in the UK and other places get them but here in the US I see them more and more.
There will be a section where it ask you something like "check the box that best describes your ethnic origin" and then it will have selcetions like "mexican-american, african-american,asian-american, pan-asian american" and so on.
So I get this form from my insurance company asking me that, so at the bottom below where it says "other" I made my own selection that simply said "American" then I drew a little box to the right of it and checkd it. Below that I wrote, " An American that by the way will be switching back to his old insurance company as soon as this policy expires. I don't care if I will have to pay more, they never tried to lable me as anything other than what I am."

Baptizer
17th January 2002, 02:44 PM
Woa...you know, for something i have grown acustom too, why do they question your ethnic race? What is the purpose of it? :(

Pistol
17th January 2002, 02:52 PM
good for you Surgeon General

JohnyX
17th January 2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Baptizer
Woa...you know, for something i have grown acustom too, why do they question your ethnic race? What is the purpose of it? :(

Profiling and statistics. It also gives them something to fall back on if they get accused of racial discrimination if they refuse a policy to someone. We may even find out that there are now "incentives" to make sure you insure a diverse range of people. It may even boil done to simply making money. If statistically speaking more "african-americans" have costlier heath problems than honkey-americans, their health insurance rates may go up.

And food for thought. Why don't you see a break down for caucasian ethnic background? Why cant I check Swiss-Irish-Polish-American?

Surgeon General
17th January 2002, 06:46 PM
I don't think they have any right to know much more about me other than, a: I have never filed a claim with any auto insurance company
b: my credit card is always good for the $630.00 that I pay them every 6 months to fully insure both my cars.
Other than that what else matters?
I will just take my insurance needs someplace else. there is always a company close by that wants to take my $$$$ for a service I never use.