PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do computer building for a living?

Surgeon General
27th December 2001, 02:52 AM
O.K. Here is my question. I went to visit a family friend for Christmas. She is a long time friend, almost like a relaive. while we were vistiting she mentioned that her computer was too slow but that she just got the new aol version 7.0 that will make it faster (I know, It took all I had in me not to laff:D )
So after informed her that it will not make it go faster, only a broadband connection would do that she went to show me her computer.
As I walked up the stairs to where her computer was I was expecting to find some dell p4 rig. (She has lots of $$$, And I mean LOTS OF $$$$$$, She and her husband owned a verry succesfull advertising agency till he passed away a couple of years ago)
Anyway guess what kind of computer I found in this multi-million dollar home? I mean I could not even afford the desk this thing is sitting on. A p3 you way? or maybe a t-bird? Nope, a matrox computer with 16 mb of ram, 33.3 modem, 1 gig hd, penti chip (i did not even check to see what it was) running windows 95.
So I informed her that she was living like in the early 90's of computing and she said that she had been meaning to upgrade. Then she asked me if she should get a dell or gayway computer. i told her that she need not do that. I have a rig I was building for someone else that she could just have.
Well she refused to take it for free, she said that she was going to pay someone to build her one, why not pay me? So she insist not only on seeing the recipts so that she can male sure that I am charging her for the gear, but she also insist on paying me for building it.
Now I love this woman like a second mother and would not dream of charging her for the system let alone the time to build it but she will just not take no for an answer.
She wants an invoice from me breaking down everything from parts to man hours.

My question is what is a low ball price I can charge her so she will be happy? She wants me to come up with an hourly rate. Any of you guys out there that get paid for this? any help would be great. Thanks guys.

tripodal
27th December 2001, 03:33 AM
the average tech store that charges for an in house service call is mininum $60, after that parts and labor ... obviously you know the price for parts, labor will be the time you take to assemble and setup the computer... time 1.5 and usually the labor rate then is anyway from 25-75 dollars per hour. depending on labor and expertise required...
typical system building ... brand new.. is 25 an hour
upgrading os's in a system is closer to 60
saving old software and system files is $75
but the most basic stuff will range from 25-40 depending on how difficult you make it for yourself.

Surgeon General
27th December 2001, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the info tripodal, just what I needed.

NorthernYankee
27th December 2001, 04:18 PM
Hey SG Those prices are pretty dead on though in San Diego it tends to run about $5-$10 dollar s per hour higher, don't you just love it there:D. My company charges between $35-$90 per hour for house calls depending on who goes out. But you get the idea, good luck and hope everything goes ok.

--NY

Baptizer
27th December 2001, 04:26 PM
Multi-million dollar home??? Yikes! In that case, i think they charge 200 an hour! hehe jk

Surgeon General
27th December 2001, 05:23 PM
LOL Baps, I know that is some company sent out a rep they might charge that, anD she would pay it !!!
She moved to a "smaller & cheaper" house in a gated community after her husband passed away. The house she moved from sold for 15m:eek: I remember it had one entire wall made of glass, great view of a cliff side and the sea but can you imagine having to clean that? bust out the gallon size windex.:)

Baptizer
27th December 2001, 05:26 PM
uhm uhm uhm uhm 15 MILLION???
Not even MC Hammer's House cost that much i dont think!!! Matter of fact, maybe she lived in MC HAMMERS house....was there a waterfall inside and pools everywhere?

Gibbon
27th December 2001, 05:38 PM
'can't touch this'

:D

Gibbon

Baptizer
27th December 2001, 05:41 PM
hehe......
Yes, he was definitely '2 legit to quit' when it came to spending money..... :D :D

Surgeon General
27th December 2001, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Baptizer
uhm uhm uhm uhm 15 MILLION???
Not even MC Hammer's House cost that much i dont think!!! Matter of fact, maybe she lived in MC HAMMERS house....was there a waterfall inside and pools everywhere?

Yeah she did have a water fall inside, it was really cool. It was located at the end of a hall way in a section of the house that is all glass walls, there is a very wide spiral stair case that winds around it. You have to go around the water fall to get to the top floor. Looked like you where in a jungle, with live plants and all.
And the house only had 1 pool (which had a water fall feeding it as well) and 1 built in hot tub.
Oh and she gives the most kick @$$ Christmas presents :)
I think the house sold for so much because of land value. houses are kinda expensive here in San Diego. My little 4 bedroom 2 bath cost me 225g's, a meare drop in the bucket compared to some of the houses here.

tripodal
27th December 2001, 10:51 PM
wow the same house here is about 160g's depending on dining/living arrangements... but less than 100miles from here the exact house will sell for anywhere from 50g's to 450g's
its a bummer really

LaughingClam
28th December 2001, 09:28 AM
if you dont want to charge her rates etc, maybe you can get "paid" with new hardware.

have her buy you a vopochill, or a flat monitor or whatever you feel is appropriate. something you can use.

a trip to Monoco with her CC :)

Baptizer
28th December 2001, 12:34 PM
SG....i am coming to the conclusion that she lives in MC HAMMER'S old house...seriously!! What does it look like outside? Well, i guess one way to figure this out is if she has a recording studio in her basement(or something that resembles a studio...i imagine he sold the equipment..hehe).

Surgeon General
28th December 2001, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Baptizer
SG....i am coming to the conclusion that she lives in MC HAMMER'S old house...seriously!!

No Baps, sorry but the house that she lived in she and her late husband had build on an empty lot. They where the first to ever live in the house. It did not have a studio, but it did have a movie room, Just a room with couches and a movie screen gizmo that could display t.v. and vcr movies.

Baptizer
28th December 2001, 06:42 PM
zoinks.....that house musta had everything! Well, hopefully everything works out building her computer!!!

tripodal
28th December 2001, 06:46 PM
you should convince her to install a bill gates like system.. everything is remote controlled by computers!

Surgeon General
29th December 2001, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by tripodal
you should convince her to install a bill gates like system.. everything is remote controlled by computers!
LOl Man she would not know what to do with it.

Oh I have an update on this, I am donw with building the computer, going to drop it off this weekend if I get a chance to drive up there. The thing is now she also wants to hire me to SHOW her how to use the thing. All she knows how to do is to get online, check email and then get off line. I told her to just start hitting buttons and see what happens, thats how I learned (or should I say am still learninng :D )

But she is scared she will break something. What would be a good low-ball rate for "showing" someone how to use a computer? Man I would not even know what to show her:p

GITster
29th December 2001, 06:14 PM
i think you should go along with LC's idea :xnod:

Personally i think she wants a bit of you ;)

Surgeon General
29th December 2001, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by GITster
Personally i think she wants a bit of you ;)
LOL, No that's not the case m8. She is just not knowing in the ways of the computer. I was soooo shocked when I saw that the computer in her house was running win95, no security dl's done in like 4 years, no firewall, norton av not updated in like 4 years :D

Baptizer
31st December 2001, 01:33 PM
Dood.....
I am guessing your still a bit youngish, right SG? Trust me, older women swooon over us good lookin young guys! heheh. This older lady wants some hard-ware alright, but its definitely not computer hard-ware.