PDA

View Full Version : In Your Opinion what are Norhtern lights?

Jetrunner
20th December 2001, 03:50 PM
well, what are northern lights to you? (good debate topic) some say electric fields, some say reflections, ect. give me what you think they are! :D

Baptizer
20th December 2001, 03:53 PM
I thought the northern light was a big bright star.....shows you how much i know...hehe..

Gibbon
20th December 2001, 03:59 PM
The northern lights I'm thinking of are from Holland ;)

I think they're caused by charged particles reacting with earths magnetic field, aren't they?

Gibbon

Gibbon
20th December 2001, 04:01 PM
Yep,

Aurora are created by charged particles streaming from the sun, drawn towards the poles of the earth by the magnetic field surrounding the planet and creating the lights as they collided with atoms in the earth's atmosphere, about 100 kilometers above the surface of the planet.

...either that or some weird flash backs man, lol :D

Gibbon

Baptizer
20th December 2001, 04:06 PM
Anyone got any pics of this? I always thought the northern light is what Mary and Joseph followed in the nights sky(the bible mary and joseph).

Gibbon
20th December 2001, 04:12 PM
Naw its the Aurora Borealis, I know bout it and i live 1000's of miles from it, so surely you know what it is :rolleyes:

try here (http://www.ptialaska.net/~hutch/aurora.html) theres a whole bunch of links to pics on it :)

Gibbon

Player0
20th December 2001, 05:16 PM
Ive seen it, and they are really creepy hehe :)

Your basically seeing 'solar wind' ionizing in the atmosphere. But...I guess everyone here has beaten me to it ;)

Baptizer
20th December 2001, 05:26 PM
Your kidding right???? there is something that actually looks like this: http://www.ptialaska.net/~hutch/1698pu.jpg
This is a real picture? That is soo amazing! I couldnt imagine seeing that with my own eyes! i would flip!

Gibbon
20th December 2001, 05:31 PM
imagine that moving then Bap, download some mpegs of it, its very neat :)

Gibbon

GITster
20th December 2001, 05:32 PM
yep :)

and they come in all sorts of colours depending on which chemicals the electrons are hiting, and how much energy is being transfered - exactly the same process as neon lights and the like.

Gibbon
20th December 2001, 05:40 PM
like this:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/images/stormwarning/aurora_nc.gif

Heres a snap I took on my recent voyage into space:

http://webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/i/sects/4/aurora-shuttle-loop.jpg

:D

Gibbon

Baptizer
20th December 2001, 05:49 PM
hehehe..
Darn, that is simply mind boggling. is that typically just an overseas thing(a UK, etc thing?)? Insane...how often do these occur? If anyone has a link to a video, i would be very happy!

GITster
20th December 2001, 06:42 PM
only really occurs in the north and south pole due to the magnetic fields there being more 'week'. However, large solar flares can be be strong enough to over come the magnetic fields further away from the poles. most of the time though, these are mearly 'reflected' away, the charge particles from the sun simply bounce of the magnetic field and cause no illuminations in the sky.

Jetrunner
20th December 2001, 06:58 PM
that's kinda funny guys,, arsonist and myself live in alaska and its a lot better than even some of those pics. i guess you just have to see 'em yourself. lol. its almost every night nowadays considering its about 30 below every night now. its kinda freezing. there's been fog lately so we cant see them. im sure they are there. Lets see, just imagine the whole sky bright red and green(christmas!!!) lol. its great out on the lake and it looks like it just comes down right to you and like lighting it just circles you... its really freeky actually lol.:)
well, no, mary and joseph didnt follow the norther lights lol.. that was like in the middle east remember? maybe you dont. lol. :cool:
just so ya know BAP. lol you needed a little bible lesson. lol.

Jetrunner
20th December 2001, 07:14 PM
here's a good site with many pics and a few video clips...eat your heart out. it surprisingly took a long time to find a good website,,, i might just have to add some pics of auroras to my moms' b and b site that i made... hmmmm. lol

Gibbon
20th December 2001, 07:43 PM
Wheres the link dood? :rolleyes:

Gibbon

Jetrunner
20th December 2001, 09:26 PM
i need to take more time on my stupid replies. this is getting old lol.
thx for tellin me,, i forgot the link now, so i guess bap , your on your own for now lol.

billg2911
20th December 2001, 11:46 PM
Hay guys, FYI i found this UK web site

http://www.aurorawatch.york.ac.uk/

Arsonist
21st December 2001, 02:58 AM
wow, so bap, you didn't know about the northern lights? thats funny. but i guess when you live in alaska you see them all the time. they were out a couple of days ago but its been snowing really hard so the cloud cover makes them really hard to see. lol

Arsonist
21st December 2001, 03:01 AM
for a forecast you can go to www.gi.alaska.edu i think. this is a cool pic in my opion.

Jetrunner
21st December 2001, 05:53 AM
good point ARSONIST lol. nice pic. there's much better than that bap, just so ya know,, it just stopped snowing so maybe we'll get some tonight. hopefully. well thx for writing guys, anyone else have any crazy ideas of what they are?:eek: :cool:

Baptizer
21st December 2001, 11:41 AM
jeeez....insane. Well, honestly i probably heard something about them when i had astronomy my first year of college(4 years ago..hmm..actually 5). But that was a long time ago! hehehe.
Thanks for the links guys. Truthfully, i think the star that mary/joeseph followed was the Northern Star, hence my confusion. I used to be a bible buster when i was younger(man, didnt you hate how your parents forced you to go to church and CCD school on sundays???? sigh).

Jetrunner
21st December 2001, 03:01 PM
haha,, i know how you feel bap,, but im the church pianist so i actually have to go. lol. sorry haha. you were deprived as a child about the norther lights thing lol.:cool:

MadDriver
21st December 2001, 08:50 PM
What a great topic.... (hint of sarcasm)

Jetrunner
21st December 2001, 09:36 PM
dean, your such a freek,.,,, go away,, you know nothing about computers, so go away,,, hey retard,, that's why its an OFF TOPIC forum retard.

Arsonist
21st December 2001, 11:40 PM
dean..im not going to talk to you any more at school so just shut up. how come when we find something that is really cool everone else has to go and ruin it for us? i hate that

Arsonist
21st December 2001, 11:42 PM
im lv. 3 yahoo!!! lol

Jetrunner
22nd December 2001, 12:02 AM
i agree arsonist....this is soo uncool that he's joining lol. anyway,,, back to the northern lights thing,,,, that IS what this thread is about...*ahem* arsonist..

hmmmm well, that's quite the way to waste a post arsonist...
*hint* for future reference (i know you didnt,, but.....) lets not use our real names,, just arsonist and jetrunner ok? thx cya later arson

Arsonist
22nd December 2001, 12:09 AM
you were saying about the northern lights....amazing arn't they...lol

Jetrunner
22nd December 2001, 01:00 AM
hey arsonist lol,, shut up.. haha

*ahem*
back to the actual northern lights topic *ahem*
thanks

Arsonist
22nd December 2001, 01:23 AM
why are you repeating me "jetrunner"?

Jetrunner
22nd December 2001, 01:32 AM
haha,, its funny when you respond.....haha
o well, i sorry ill stop lol

anyway..................

Arsonist
22nd December 2001, 03:05 AM
your nose looks great on chris. here is another cool pic.

Jetrunner
22nd December 2001, 07:27 AM
that's more what they look like on a good night,,, on an open field or lake... ahhhhhhh behold,,, the power of cheese lololol