PDA

View Full Version : Kingmax PC2700

Nitestorm
9th December 2001, 05:05 PM
Has anyone got a stick of Kingmax TinyBGA PC2700 that could help me out?

I am curious to know what ns rating the memory chips used on the PC2700 stick is. In theory they need to be at least 6ns to make it proper PC2700 thus rated for 166Mhz. Now I know Kingmax PC2700 is meant to be proper PC2700 so I assume it is 6ns, rather than 7ns or 7.5ns which would make it hand picked PC2100 memory. However, many US resellers are stating 5ns in their descriptions of this memory. 5ns would make it rated up to 200MHz (400Mhz DDR)!! Of course getting a system up to that speed takes more than just having suitable memory, but it would be one less thing to worry about. I emailed the reseller in England (UK) who have them and asked if they could confirm the ns rating for me. Well I got a reply over the weekend (thumbs up for customer service for that) and off the top of their heads they think they are indeed 5ns, but they'll check for sure on Monday.

Also curious if it's true what I have heard in the past, about Kingmax TinyBGA not liking too much voltage. I've heard people say that while Crucial and others can achieve higher and higher speeds the higher the voltage, that with Kingmax memory that isn't always the case. That to start with, yes a little extra voltage helps, but too much reduces the speed Kingmax memory can run at. Somewhere I think someone compared Crucial vs Kingmax and ran Crucial first at a very high voltage to get the most from it, then tested the Kingmax still at the high voltage and found the Kingmax didn't overclock so well. But when they tried a slightly lower voltage, the Kingmax achieved a higher speed than before.

Nitestorm
10th December 2001, 06:22 PM
Ok, nevermind, got it confirmed from the UK retailer that Kingmax TinyBGA PC2700 uses 5ns rated memory, so just ordered a stick. I'll post my results once I've had chance to test it.

NorthernYankee
10th December 2001, 06:47 PM
Let us know I am very curious.

--NY

Wrath
10th December 2001, 11:29 PM
Where are you getting this PC2700 gear from in the UK??

tripodal
11th December 2001, 02:22 AM
hurry and post benchmarks... 200mhz... 400mhz ddr ... something else is 400mhz too... (psst. rambus)your gonna stomp the shiznit out of p4 arent ya?

Nitestorm
11th December 2001, 07:13 PM
Wrath, I've ordered it from Overclock.co.uk (http://www.overclock.co.uk). Click on the 'Memory' text link on the far left product menu and it's listed there.

Gibbon
11th December 2001, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Nitestorm
H I emailed the reseller in England (UK)

Is there another? lol :D

Gibbon