PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

Surgeon General
5th December 2001, 05:43 AM
I want to reformat a 30 gig maxtor I had in a space computer so I can stick it in mine as a storage drive, problem is that when I boot from a floppy and type format c: from the a promt it says that format is not supported on drive c.
It has 2k on it, ntfs. Do i have to format it while in windows?

crono
5th December 2001, 06:19 AM
Im probaly wrong but cant you unplug primary hdd and boot storage drive as master run fdisk repartition and then format and finally reconnect it as the slave to your primary master. Or am I misunderstanding your problem? OR if you boot it as your slave wouldnt you type format d: or whatever drive letter it has been assigned?

sptw
5th December 2001, 06:37 AM
Hi Surgeon General.
If i got it right, you're trying to format your hd using FAT32, isn't it?If yes, you can't format it because ntfs partition.You have to erase MBR.You can go to maxtor site>utilities and take a utility named maxblast.exe or you can run a litlle program in assembler.I like to use this little commands in assembler, it's so easy.Don't worry, it only erase your MBR.Here's How to.....

-Make a startup diskette (prefer on Win 98), not a boot diskette Ok?
- Put this diskette on drive A, and reboot your PC.
-On A> type debug and enter.
- on next line type and follow exactly as it is, don't worry about the numbers that appears on your screen, only type on blink cursor position:
F200 L200 0 (enter)
a100 (enter)
mov ax,301 (enter)
mov bx,200 (enter)
mov cx,1 (enter)
mov dx,80 (enter)
int 13 (enter)
int 3 (enter)
and (enter) again
g=100
q

Ok, it's all.Now you can reboot your pc and do a fdisk and format your Hd again.
I hope this help you

Surgeon General
5th December 2001, 07:00 AM
Thanks a lot for the input guys. Yeah sptw, that worked great. I am not even going to ask how you knew all that stuff to type :D

Silversaver
5th December 2001, 11:56 AM
Hi,

Why not using Win2K to format?? Just enter to admintrator under disk management. You can choose either NTSF or FAT32... or even format with different allocation unit...from 512bit to 32K... of course you only use that option if ou using RAID.... but not really necessary anyway:)

Baptizer
5th December 2001, 01:01 PM
Silversaver,
Actually if it has already been formated to nfsc, when you enter into winnt/win2k/winxp the option to format and install FAT32 is no longer available. So this option will not work.....
Thanks for the info SPTW.........