PDA

View Full Version : Should the project acceptance criterion have a "Play fair" clause?

fractal
7th July 2009, 06:38 PM
Well, since there is a poll on commercial projects, how about a "play fair" clause? By this, I mean the project does completely take over your computer. If BOINC, it shares your computer with other BOINC projects. If it supports multiple platforms, it does not unduly favor one platform over another.

umccullough
8th July 2009, 12:28 AM
I voted No because I think the "fair" argument will quickly get out of hand.

When you start talking about "favoring" platforms, then you start punishing projects who are focusing on CUDA development, or don't offer an OSX application (in fact, I would even claim that any closed-source project is unfair because I can't port it to Haiku, where I have recently ported both BOINC and SETI, along with a few other DC apps which are open source).

Definition of "fair" is much too subjective.

Beyond
10th July 2009, 07:59 PM
I voted no because there are virtually no projects that someone couldn't claim are "not fair". I'm still looking for a project for my old CPM Royal Alphatronic with 2 floppy drives! :-)

Seems like another way that some will use to try to manipulate the Vault, much like what will probably happen if the "anti-commercial" rule is implemented :-(