PDA

View Full Version : Categorizing projects: Where do they all belong?

opyrt
28th October 2008, 11:27 AM
Russkris asked me to create a separate thread for this, so here we are. From the NQueens thread it's easy to see that there are a lot of opinions on how to categorize the different projects and how related to the actual category the need to be for them to be in that specific category.

It is my opinion that the misc category should be as small as possible. I consider it a sort of "last resort" adding a project there as all projects preferably should be in the other "main" categories. I feel that projects related to the main categories should be in those categories.

These are some of the projects where categorization has been discussed and where I think they should be:

SETI: Not really a physics project, but highly related as it is looking at radio signals from space. I think this should be in the Physical Science category.

RC5-72 & SHA-1 are both about crypto algorithms which is very connected to mathematics and primes. Leave them in the maths category.

Sudoku & NQueens are both mathematical puzzles. Should be in the maths category.

SZTAKI is, from what I understand, trying to prove the powers of making a grid available to the general public. I would say it feels right that this one sits in the maths category, but I understand if some people thinks it should be in misc.

These are my opinions. I know there are many others, so please post them in this thread.

And ladies and gentlemen, please leave you flamethrowers at the door, thank you.

Beyond
29th October 2008, 04:49 AM
Project: Suduko
current cat: Math
Suggested Cat: Misc

BTW, does that pizza project deliver?
I think it should be in the Bio category...

leavitron
29th October 2008, 11:48 AM
Project: Sztaki
Current Cat: Math

BTW, does that pizza project deliver?
I think it should be in the Bio category...
No, no, no! Clearly it is Phys Sci because they will have to violate the Space/Time Continuum in order to deliver them hot to everyone. :D

(j/k)

opyrt
29th October 2008, 12:49 PM
Project: NQueens
Current Cat: Misc
Suggested Cat: Math

Beyond
29th October 2008, 02:48 PM

:-)

opyrt
29th October 2008, 09:06 PM

Gunslinger
30th October 2008, 12:04 AM

The puzzle was originally proposed in 1848 by the chess player Max Bezzel, and over the years, many mathematicians, including Gauss and Georg Cantor, have worked on this puzzle and its generalized n-queens problem. The first solutions were provided by Franz Nauck in 1850. Nauck also extended the puzzle to n-queens problem (on an n*n board—a chessboard of arbitrary size). In 1874, S. Gunther proposed a method of finding solutions by using determinants, and J.W.L. Glaisher refined this approach.

Sounds much more like maths than gaming to me... :rolleyes:

Ars-outlnder
18th November 2008, 06:05 AM
Or maybe create another category called "Games"

Rusty
18th November 2008, 06:07 AM
Anymore?

I shall close the thread and open some more

Rusty
18th November 2008, 06:25 AM
3 thread opened

Re-Zone: Project: NQueens
(http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44378)
Re-Zone: Project: SZTAKI (http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44377)

Re-Zone: Project: Suduko (http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44376)

Rusty
18th November 2008, 06:26 AM
Thread closed until we sort these 3 out