PDA

View Full Version : Broken 75GXP

4.6POWER
26th November 2001, 01:39 PM
My first 75GXP just broke... what is the procedure from all you veterans. Can it be temporarily repaired to retrieve data? RMA process any good? I have two 75GXP 15gig drives.... I feel like sending them both back.

Joe

Baptizer
26th November 2001, 01:58 PM
I went through the same situation....SPTW saved me tons of time and tons of money(thanks again sptw). First, check to see if your harddrive is still covered under warranty: http://www.storage.ibm.com/warranty/jsp/arma31.jsp

Another thing you might want to do is run the Disk manager test and jot down the code error that you are getting. There is a place you can enter this when filling out your RMA status. In all honesty, i dont think youll be able to return the non-broken one yet....you can try, but i am assuming when they run a test on it, itll come up clean.

In terms of getting data off of the old HD, someone else might be able to help you(considering i am not sure what type of HD problem you are having...there are a lot of different ones).

Baptizer
26th November 2001, 01:59 PM
If you want to read up on my particular situation and how sptw told me to handle it, check this link out: http://ninjamicros.com/vbulletin/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1926

Player0
26th November 2001, 04:16 PM
It may be possible to retrieve the data. At least some of it. You can use the procedure outlined on KT7 Faq to repair the stripe. You need a third hard drive to do this, make sure it is large enough to store the entire array.

Download IBMTools from ibm, it has some disk checking functions that may come in handy. You can use it to look for bad clusters etc. If the drive is totally trashed (cant get anything from it)...well...banging it can work 1 out of 3 times. DONT MAKE VISIBLE DAMAGE!! They wont RMA the drive. The actuator can sometimes be jimmied by whacking the EDGE of the drive with the palm of your hand. This should be a last resort.

If the drive is toasted, there is no way to recover the stripe. Your drive may still have enough life left in it to repair the stripe and copy over the data to a new hard drive. good luck!

4.6POWER
27th November 2001, 01:39 PM
No such luck, I ran DFT and got
Failure code: 0x70 - Defective Device
Additional code: 0x71
Technical Result Code for RMA 7071F0D7

It forced me to erase disk, which now the drive passes all tests. What am I supposed to do now, pretend this never happen just reinstall? :xfinger: IBM

VotTak
1st December 2001, 07:02 AM
I went throuhg RMA for IBM and Maxtor... easy procedure... although I like Maxtor better.

Silversaver
3rd December 2001, 09:10 AM
Failure code: 0x70 - Defective Device

Code 0X70: means bad sector. It can be repair with IBM Fitness disk, but it will erase all the data and partition in that HD..... That is the most command error code for IBM GXP75 HDs.... So far I have 3 HDs have that code before... Unfortunely, after fixed, the HD produce little louder noise than before...SUX!!

VotTak
3rd December 2001, 11:56 AM
Not only that is the problem... After a couple "fixes" it will crash more often till you get tired of sucker and RMA it.