PDA

View Full Version : Since SIMAP is basically closing down after the last WUs are finished

Jose
14th October 2006, 01:49 PM
and after that only temporary updates of work will be available. Shouldnt SIMAP be considered a finished project and a new and active project be entered in the Vault.
Once the last WUS are validated, the teams positions at SIMAP will be basically frozen , not changeable as there will be no crunching of new work .

IMHO all projects included in the vault should be reviewed and if they are not making available new work for teams to work on, they should be no longer considered for Vault standing and new projects , new active projects be added.

I am not recomending zeroing out the points: all I am saying is that new projects should be included so the teams can compete. One cannot compete for overall vault positions when some projects are frozen in time and work.

N.V.M.
14th October 2006, 04:59 PM
isn't HashClash idle for now as well? i don't think there is any work available for the project, but someone should double check that.

wyles
15th October 2006, 12:08 PM
Thats for that - we rely on you guys to keep us up to speed on the status of the plethora of projects out there these days.... when it does close then yes, it should be removed.

Biggles
18th October 2006, 02:32 PM
But it won't be closed.

It will have completed it's main aim of crunching all entries in a database to create a similarity matrix of proteins. That database gets updated from time to time, and when it does, there will be new work.

What it means in practice is that the project will have work sporadically, in the way that LHC and HashClash and Predictor do. So if you remove SIMAP, you should remove those three as well, even though they aren't closed projects. They may only be periodic, but they are active.

Rusty
18th October 2006, 11:34 PM
The project must:

be active
accept new members and teams immediately upon registration
have parsable team stats
have team stats that are updated regularly
provide a client program which runs on a local PC
That says it all

Biggles
19th October 2006, 08:21 AM
The project is active, it does accept new members and teams, it does have parsable stats which are updated regularly, and it does provide a client program.

The next work will be out on November 1st, and next batch after that will be available on November 15th. It may not have the almost unlimited work it previously had, but it is not inactive.

I refer you to your own and wyles's comments in August regarding HashClash.

Rusty
19th October 2006, 11:42 AM
I know.. My opinion is, if the project closes down completly like Seti Classic, then it will get pulled