PDA

View Full Version : Boinc..huh?

N.V.M.
7th May 2006, 07:27 PM
ok, i'm running another Boinc powered project and i'm getting strange behaviour as usual. typically, i set my preferences to not connect for the maximum of 10 days. this is set on your account page under "general preferences".then you just click "update" in the Boinc Manager,and its set.

ok, so far so good, right?

no! it should download a whole bunch of woots to keep the machine busy, for about 10 days. i always seem to get a machine or two that won't download enough work. why is that? i really want to buffer for a week but am not able to because Boinc is really lame sometimes as its not as flexible as it should be. all i can say it mostly runs okay, but to the stuff it doesn't do "OK", it really turns me off a project.

this time its my P4. 1.6A GHZ(iMike) that i only get about 10 jobs at a time. last project i ran(SETI), my Opteron would only get a few jobs at a time(relative to the other machines).

if anybody has an idea of why its doing this, please let me know. i just wish i could set a maximum amount of woots for any machine i'm on at the moment, and download them, like Sengent or DNET.

and lastly, this is not a rant, i'm seriously choked with this BOINC crap. it may increase DC'ing to the Joe Average because of its "McEase", but give me a specialty client per each project anyday.

Ragnarog
7th May 2006, 10:17 PM
Boinc has been doing that sporadically to me an every machine on each project. Worst is the dual core machine which, for some projects, boinc will per se NOT run mutliple instances of the core....no idea how to fix it..

Rag

solarflare
7th May 2006, 11:08 PM
I noticed that I can get plenty of WU for each PC, except 1.. and that is the one pc that I don't have connected to the internet 24/7. When I connect, I get about 4 - 5 WU only..

Rusty
8th May 2006, 12:31 PM
Rag's have you tried editing your preference for the project and up'ing the number of cores... I have my preferences set at 2 even though I have got any dual core machines..

For the problems, regarding not enough work units. I had the same trouble but I had to crunch a few, most projects only have a limit of 100 per day per client, so what I said probably doesn't help any. Maybe try running a bench mark, through the BOINC menu, that might help.. I found if I detach or re-install another copy, BOINC starts again and I have to go through the same process again of a few units crunching..

I would say try a bench mark and get your score so when it connects, it has some more info to run with, and also try letting it run a few WU's through..

But ya'll probably done all that, so you might have to post of the projects forum

StoneGnome
8th May 2006, 05:43 PM
You might try checking out the disk quota settings in your preferences.
I had the same problem of getting work units for my machines at work, turns out it was my preferences for disk usage that was resticting the number of work units I was downloading.

Rusty
9th May 2006, 01:18 AM
You could always reset the client or delete the apps_info.xml the project folder, that it will allow for newer info to be sent...