PDA

View Full Version : Just a question

KTtttt
13th April 2006, 02:34 PM
I've been doing the DC thing for some time now. My first DC projects were F@H/G@H, SETI and GIMPS. I don't see GIMPS listed in the DC Vault as a DC project. Why is this?

NeoGen
13th April 2006, 06:56 PM
There was some talk about it... see here:
http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37284

Rusty
13th April 2006, 08:55 PM
So if you can provide nano with a good stats location it maybe added.
Maybe you could prepare a case and submit it via this forum.

KTtttt
14th April 2006, 06:56 AM
So the reason GIMPS is not included is because of its stats. Can you explain this in a little more detail so I can understand.

LinearB
14th April 2006, 10:44 AM
So the reason GIMPS is not included is because of its stats. Can you explain this in a little more detail so I can understand.

Hi KTtttt, if you read the thread link posted above we discuss a number of problems with GIMPs.

But to sumarise, when we tried to collect the stats it was taking too long. Now this maybe a problem on our side or thiers but it was deemed unworkable. The other problem was that GIMPs does not distinguish between users and teams it's up to you when you register whether a user name of LinearA is a team name or just an individual and hence the stats list represents everybody who has created an account in GIMPS not just the Teams. We'd have the same problem if we tried to parse every user for dnet for instance.

All of these problems are solvable but they need effort and time which we currently don't have and also distinguish this project from all the others currently in the vault.

I would like to see GIMPS in the vault as it really is the Grand-daddy of DC projects (along with Seti ;) ) but for now at least its not really possible :(

KTtttt
16th April 2006, 11:46 PM
I just came from looking at the stats for GIMPS and had no problem. Now I don't know what the problem is in downloading them, thats not my area but the stats exist and I don't see your problem. Help me here

Nanobot
17th April 2006, 12:09 AM
Please read this thread (http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37284)

KTtttt
17th April 2006, 04:20 PM
Its an old thread. I'm talking about todays status not the status as it stood last December. Look I went to their stats pages and saw teams and individuals listed. So I cannot see the problem. Their stats are really no different than any others. I need somethinf better than an old thread to understand whats going on and why Gimps is not included.

Ragnarog
17th April 2006, 06:45 PM
Go read the 2nd page then before wanting more explanations again here ;)

Rag

strates
3rd July 2006, 03:28 AM
KTtttt,

Please post the link to where you went to find Team Stats for GIMPS, the only stats I see, lists all acounts on the same list. I am considering working with this program to revamp their stats system, and I would like to know if there is another page I don't know about that already manages teams.

Thanks,
Strates

Rusty
3rd July 2006, 03:32 AM
:welcome:

If you do work to re-vamp the stats, please keep us in the loop