PDA

View Full Version : New car

Chelle
11th February 2006, 05:21 AM
Michael just bought this car (http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=B9_TRIBECA&trim=LIMITED_5-PASSENGER). This is his first Subaru. We've only had it 2 days, but I have to say I'm really impressed with the ride, and the design engineering that went into it. It feels like you're sitting in the cockpit of an airplane :D

I'll let you know how it is after we've been through a few tanks of gas :mg:

Fireblade
11th February 2006, 12:25 PM
Very nice Chelle :cool:

You'll have Spec's undying attention, now you've got yourself a 'Scooby' :D

Note: That's "Scooby" - not "Subaru". You goitta get with the programme, once you buy into the family :lol:

Farley
11th February 2006, 12:58 PM
Nice car Chelle!!!

From the picture it looks like hes going a bit fast though... :lol:

Chelle
11th February 2006, 02:39 PM
Nice car Chelle!!!

From the picture it looks like hes going a bit fast though... :lol:
Oh, he goes fast enough on his own :mg: The salesman explained that this car has a chip which has memory, and how you drive it in the first 'xxx' miles will determine how 'peppy' it will be for the rest of its life. So, if you baby it at first, it will never be a peppy car. So of course, he's driving like a bat out of hell, and feels quite justified in doing so. Personally, I think it's a guy-conspiracy :lol:

At 250-hp, it's plenty peppy enough!

Fallguy
11th February 2006, 10:11 PM
Hmmm,
a Scooby hey, nice car! :)

And 250BHP should give you plenty of go when needed... ;)

Fallguy

Scooby Doo
12th February 2006, 11:38 AM
http://i1.tinypic.com/nn77d5.gif

You'll have Spec's undying attention, now you've got yourself a 'Scooby' :D
Hmmm,
a Scooby hey,

Farley
12th February 2006, 02:26 PM
:lol: Ears burning? ;)

how you drive it in the first 'xxx' miles will determine how 'peppy' it will be for the rest of its life. So, if you baby it at first, it will never be a peppy car.
and they'll use the memory to void a warrenty in the event of abuse. :lol:

Here's an idea :idea: Trialer it around for the next xxx miles and maybe it will learn not to use any fuel. :lol:

;)

speculative
13th February 2006, 03:25 PM
:clap:

Tribeca has been out awhile, so any kinks in the manufacturing should have been worked out. Subaru now tops Honda and Toyota in reliability, so this should be a good solid car. If you don't need/want AWD then there are other options, but if you need/want AWD there really isn't a better choice at this point than the scoobies.

Also - what the salesman said about the on-board computer is true. It's called an "ECU" unit, and it performs a lot of functions. But, just so you know, you can reset it yourself at any time. Simply unplug the battery from your Subaru, and leave it sitting overnight. Then, plug the battery back in in the morning. Just like CMOS actually.

When the Tribeca first came out, we were all complaining about the styling. Since then, I have seen about 20 in person (we live in Subaru land here: 30% of cars on the road in this town are Scoobies of one sort or another from various time periods). Now, I think they are the best-looking SUV's on the road. Pictures don't do them justice. I think the only one that comes close is the Nissan Murano, but the Tribeca's front end is so much more interesting and stylish that it wins out. I think it looks better than the Lexus, the BMW, the Murano, and sorry but don't even mention USDM when it comes to styling. I'm not sure who the domestic market caters to, the 70+ crowd perhasp? :o

Tribeca is the only SUV... that makes me want to drive an SUV. :D

speculative
13th February 2006, 03:27 PM
It feels like you're sitting in the cockpit of an airplane :D

The new corporate front end is supposed to be an airplane: center=fuselage, sides=wings. Yeah, I sat in one of the Tribeca's at the dealership and you really have to sit in one to get the effect, but it is very driver-oriented/Mazda-ish in its cockpit design. :thumb:

speculative
13th February 2006, 03:29 PM
Btw - does it ever get really cold, as in -30F or below? If so, the scooby might shake a bit if you don't have it plugged in: this is nothing to worry about. It is simply the engine pistons firing sideways a little roughly when cold. Quite fun! :D

Chelle
14th February 2006, 01:06 AM
When the Tribeca first came out, we were all complaining about the styling. Since then, I have seen about 20 in person (we live in Subaru land here: 30% of cars on the road in this town are Scoobies of one sort or another from various time periods). Now, I think they are the best-looking SUV's on the road. Pictures don't do them justice. I think the only one that comes close is the Nissan Murano, but the Tribeca's front end is so much more interesting and stylish that it wins out. I think it looks better than the Lexus, the BMW, the Murano, and sorry but don't even mention USDM when it comes to styling. I'm not sure who the domestic market caters to, the 70+ crowd perhasp? :o

Tribeca is the only SUV... that makes me want to drive an SUV. :D
When I first saw the front end, I didn't like the grill.. but it really grows on you. Michael's a big guy so his options were a bit limited (he previously drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee). In the running was also the Nissan Murano, and the Chrysler 300C (with HEMI)... all in the same price range. In the end, he decided that as nice and stylish as the 300C was, that was entirely too much money for a Chrysler. The Murano is a nice vehicle, but we're seeing a LOT of them around town now. The Tribeca is still pretty unique, you don't see many on the road. Also, the engineering in Subaru is far superior, definitely more bang for your buck.

Very happy with our purchase :) (and in 3 years I get to have it when he upgrades to the latest and greatest) :lol:

speculative
14th February 2006, 01:42 AM
When I first saw the front end, I didn't like the grill.. but it really grows on you. Michael's a big guy so his options were a bit limited (he previously drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee). In the running was also the Nissan Murano, and the Chrysler 300C (with HEMI)... all in the same price range. In the end, he decided that as nice and stylish as the 300C was, that was entirely too much money for a Chrysler. The Murano is a nice vehicle, but we're seeing a LOT of them around town now. The Tribeca is still pretty unique, you don't see many on the road. Also, the engineering in Subaru is far superior, definitely more bang for your buck.

Very happy with our purchase :) (and in 3 years I get to have it when he upgrades to the latest and greatest) :lol:

:D The 300 seems nice although I have never been inside one. Wouldn't be as reliable, though.j For the Nissan, you wouldn't have to worry about reliability, but still the Scooby will be more reliable. Don't know if you had thought about this yet but in SUV's the center of gravity tends to be high (hence the roll-over danger) but in the Scooby the engine fires horizontally which means they can place it lower to the ground hence lower center of gravity which = better handling, and lower center of gravity for less chance of rollover. :thumb: