PDA

View Full Version : Handed in final draft of thesis!

speculative
20th November 2004, 06:36 PM
:clap: !!!

Prof still needs to proofread the new stuff. We took out 20 pages worth of material and I stuck another 20 pages in. Very tired. Tonight is the first night I've gotten more than 3-4 hours of sleep since October. It is a very weird feeling - I basically lost my ability to "feel" tired. Two nights ago, I was typing on the main file about 3:30 am and I suddenly woke up and my thesis was gone. :jawdrop: !!!! I don't know what happened, I don't remember. :mg: It was just gone, the Word program was still open but the file had been closed without being saved. That means I must've used some commands in my sleep; otherwise, it would have asked me if I wanted to save the changes, and simply hitting enter or some other automatic motion I might've made while sleeping should've saved it. So, I lost about 1/2 hour of writing, but I have about 50 backups on CD-R and in my e-mail so not too big a deal. But that's when I knew it was time to turn in.

-spec

Chelle
20th November 2004, 09:42 PM
Way to go Spec! :thumbsup:

I gotta hand it to you, you've worked your butt off. This is all going to pay off for ya. So, when can we add the PhD after your username? :p

Isn't it funny how you become conditioned to lack of sleep? This happened to me during my daughter's first year of life, and I haven't been the same since. I'm finally just (after 6 years) starting to sleep about 6-7 hours a night, but it used to be anything more than 5 hours felt 'weird' :D

Anyway, congratulations and good job!!

Neo
20th November 2004, 09:53 PM
Great job specs

When do we get to read it Dr Spec.

wyles
21st November 2004, 12:32 AM
and whats it all about?
Congrats....must be the most amazing sense of relief!

jema
21st November 2004, 10:43 AM
Well done that man :)

jema

Meadmaker
21st November 2004, 03:42 PM
:woot:

Congrats Spec - I can't wait to see you in print :nod:

N.V.M.
21st November 2004, 03:48 PM
wtg spec!!! hmmm, Dr. Spec...sounds like a Bond villain :D

Jules
21st November 2004, 03:53 PM
Good work Spec! :)

Farley
21st November 2004, 04:30 PM
Well done Spec! Best of Luck! :cheers:

Miles
21st November 2004, 05:50 PM
Way to hang in there Spec! You got it finished. Awesome! :cheers:

Lizentor
22nd November 2004, 01:55 PM
:clap: way to go Spec!

Fizban
22nd November 2004, 02:09 PM
Nice one, just one thing please forgive my ignorance if you've mentioned it before, What was the thesis on ? :confused:

speculative
27th November 2004, 05:45 AM

VIRTUAL TEAMS AND THEIR DEMOCRATIZING EFFECT ON

PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION

a paper submitted in partial fulfillment
of the requirements for the degree

of

Master of Arts

in

Public Administration

MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Bozeman, Montana

November, 2004

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. INTRODUCTION...................................... .................................................. ................1
2. BENEFITS AND DRAWBACKS OF VIRTUAL TEAMS........................................3
VIRTUAL TEAMS: TRADITIONAL TEAMS USING VIRTUAL TOOLS?....................................3
BENEFITS OF USING VIRTUAL TEAMS............................................. ............................................4
DIFFICULTIES ENCOUNTERED WITH VIRTUAL TEAMS............................................. ..............7
3. VIRTUAL TEAM PROCESSES AND STRUCTURES........................................ ....11
HOW VIRTUAL TEAMS FORM AND FUNCTION.......................................... ...............................11
TRUST IN VIRTUAL TEAMS............................................. .................................................. .............17
4. MARY PARKER FOLLETT AND PARTICIPATION..................................... .......24
5. MODELS OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION.................................... .......................31
THE TRANSITION FROM THE OLD PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION TO THE NEW PUBLIC
SERVICE........................................... .................................................. .................................................3 1
DEVELOPING PEOPLE NOT STRUCTURES: A RETURN TO CITIZENSHIP...........................35
6. PARTICIPATION..................................... .................................................. ...............40
THE BENEFITS OF INCREASED PARTICIPATION IN THE NEW PUBLIC SERVICE.............40
TOWARD AUTHENTIC PARTICIPATION..................................... ................................................44
PARTICIPATION IN A HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT....................................... ...............................52
7. ACCOUNTABILITY AND PRIVATIZATION ISSUES........................................56
ACCOUNTABILITY IN PUBLIC SERVICE........................................... .........................................56
PRIVATIZATION..................................... .................................................. ........................................57
8. NEW LEADERSHIP MODELS............................................ ...................................62
LEADERSHIP IN THE NEW PUBLIC SERVICE........................................... .................................62
LEVELLING THE TRADITIONAL HIERARCHY......................................... .................................68
9. INTEGRATING VIRTUAL TEAMS INTO ADMINISTRATIVE SETTINGS......71
VIRTUAL TEAMS IN THE NEW PUBLIC SERVICE........................................... ..........................71
THE "DISNEYLAND EFFECT".................................................. .................................................. .....75
CASE STUDY OF VIRTUAL TEAMS AT THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN WASTE PROJECT.........76
LESSONS FROM PARTICIPATION CASE STUDIES........................................... ..........................81
10. CONCLUSION........................................ .................................................. ...............86
REFERENCES CITED…….………………………………………………………………….……89

Farley
27th November 2004, 01:34 PM
:errrr: I shutter just at the thought of writing something like that out...

Fireblade
27th November 2004, 07:20 PM
Just doing the 'Table of Contents' would be enough fer me :D

Wicked stuff Spec' :sunshine:

Squeaky
27th November 2004, 10:31 PM
We are not worthy Spec, great work m8e :)

Meadmaker
28th November 2004, 12:37 AM
Wot Squeaks said :nod: