PDA

View Full Version : 8 years of data f***ed

BigBen
9th October 2004, 06:03 PM
http://www.liquidninjas.com/bbs/images/smilies/plauder/pcangry.gif (http://www.liquidninjas.com/bbs/misc.php?action=getsmilies&s=#) It was my own fault I should have kept up the CD backups :( I got slack and just kept the data on the spare drive and kept adding the info every week ... although there is nothing wrong with the drive I think I know what was to blame? .. AVG anti-virus 7 beta (free version) is the suspect which I tried out and normally I do not scan the backup drive but forgot this time and it must have mistaken certain files as iffy using its heuristics :mad: ..... sums this week up really so I am gonna have a drinky :gulp:

wombat
9th October 2004, 06:18 PM
Sounds nasty what did it actually do, I was thinking of upgrading some of my computers running AVG :D

BigBen
9th October 2004, 06:25 PM
It just seems to have removed certain data which has destroyed any chance of statistical analysis etc etc etc ... its hard to explain which is why I did not say what kind of data it was. I have been searching the house looking for the last backup CD but to no avail :rolleyes:

Regards

wombat
9th October 2004, 06:44 PM
The only reason I asked was it may have stuck them in it virus vault if it removed whole files that is. If it did you can put them back. :)

Jules
9th October 2004, 08:04 PM
:( not a very good topper to your week for sure. Hope you can recover your data.

Rusty
9th October 2004, 09:20 PM
Bugger man, Why didn't you put the UCK in and I could have Mod it. Bugger about the data man.. :(

BigBen
9th October 2004, 11:51 PM
Having just got home full of gin I no longer give a damn lmao :D

wombat
10th October 2004, 03:12 AM
Ah the gin did its job then. :D

N.V.M.
10th October 2004, 03:18 AM
Bugger man, Why didn't you put the UCK in and I could have Mod it. Bugger about the data man.. :(

dying to use that button,eh Russ?...lol

Fireblade
10th October 2004, 06:20 AM
I agree wi' Wombat BB.

I know first hand what a 'gin-head' feels like... so it could take a while (:D) - but once yer head clears... see if the files haven't been stored in a backup file/folder/'vault' somewhere?

It's highly unlikely the missing files have been permanently deleted ... unless you specifically gave the program permission to delete suspicious files immediaitely/for good when you installed it/set it up? Default settings for such programs are usually set t' cater for the unwary... whereby they can recover files they didn't want removed?

Let's hope that's the case anyway m8 :nod: Good luck at recovering the files... or at least finding a recent backup CD/DVD :thumbsup:

BigBen
10th October 2004, 10:00 AM
My head feels like there is someone inside trying to dig there way out :banghead: .... there is nothing in the vault :( so my only hope is to find the backup (not even sure when it was done) and maybe start a long process of reconstruction :rolleyes: .... by the way riding home on a push bike (on the pavement) after midnight having inbibed enough gin to tranquilise an elephant is an interesting adventure in itself :D

Regards

Farley
10th October 2004, 01:53 PM
Any chance of recovering the files with a recovery proggy that retreives lost of deleted data??

Hope you work it out :(

wyles
10th October 2004, 02:12 PM
Have a WD drive that has about 15 gig of mp3's I cant get a bios to detect....
if anyone can help me and BB Im sure we'd love ya's! :)

wombat
10th October 2004, 04:15 PM
Did you ever try sticking it in the freezer for a few hours. :confused:

speculative
10th October 2004, 04:26 PM
Did you ever try sticking it in the freezer for a few hours. :confused:

I tried the freezer trick - if you do it don't remove your HD from the freezer, simply run the cord into the freezer. By the time I had walked 30 feet, plugged it into my rig, it was dripping with water. :jawdrop:

-spec

BigBen
10th October 2004, 06:48 PM
:scratch: the data has returned? ... I reimaged my comp and just tried the two programs that can read the data and there it was, not truncated or anything ... so I am guessing the programs were corrupted in some way rather than the actual data that sits on a different hard drive ..... so my self inflicted headache was not needed :rolleyes: but I am saving the data onto DVD just in case :D

Regards

wyles
11th October 2004, 04:04 AM
Does that trick work if the drive isnt even detected by the bios?

Terminator
11th October 2004, 07:53 PM
:scratch: the data has returned? ... I reimaged my comp and just tried the two programs that can read the data and there it was, not truncated or anything ... so I am guessing the programs were corrupted in some way rather than the actual data that sits on a different hard drive ..... so my self inflicted headache was not needed :rolleyes: but I am saving the data onto DVD just in case :D

RegardsMe thinks someone had been a the Gin to begin with :p

BigBen
11th October 2004, 08:32 PM
lol I can swear I did not :) the programs that read the data were both messed up in some way? ... this is why I thought it was the data itself that had been corrupted (2 progs reading the same error) ... both progs are from the same company but I am just relieved to have the info back :)

Terminator
11th October 2004, 09:49 PM
And of course you've backed it all up now ? :roflmao:

BigBen
12th October 2004, 06:22 AM
I must admit no!:rolleyes: but will pick up some disk's on my way home from work to remedy that ...

Regards

Terminator
12th October 2004, 12:19 PM
:eek: just make sure you do :smackbum:

BigBen
12th October 2004, 05:09 PM
remedied :D