PDA

View Full Version : Rathergate...

speculative
22nd September 2004, 02:54 PM
... all news is commentary, and has been for quite some time now. But, it is frightening how many people don't realize that...

-spec

lechumbl
22nd September 2004, 04:53 PM
Hi Spec,

Rant mode on:

One of the basic rules of Journalism is to validate your sources.
This was not done, and the end result is Rather looking like the fool that he REALLY is.
It is a shame that the Black Eye of CBS let this happen.
It is also the network's responsibility to assure the validity of their news.
Guess it is easier to speculate (no pun intended) than it is to check sources.

Rant mode off now:

Take care........

wyles
23rd September 2004, 12:39 AM
You guys wanna share something with the rest of the class?

lechumbl
23rd September 2004, 12:43 AM
Hi Wylie,

Dan Rather of CBS News here in the States, aired a document that was very critical of the President's past Military record in the National Guard.

Turns out that the document was a fake and Rather looks like the fool that he is. So much for checking sources.

That is the long story, boiled down to a few sentences.

Take care........

wyles
23rd September 2004, 12:46 AM
:eek:
Is this a respected journalist?
We're having a federal election here Oct 9, It amazes me the crap thats coming out. Once upon a time you could rely on a news service to be utterly impartial. Now whoever owns the network pushes their own views :(

lechumbl
23rd September 2004, 12:50 AM
Hi Wylie,

Yes, up to this point, he was a very respected Journalist.
In my eyes, both he and CBS News have lost a lot of respect from me, and many others, I suspect.
Of course the Bush re-election team is all over it, as it is looking like, from preminary reports, that there is a tie to the forged doc and the Kerry camp.
This may be true, or just more garbage.
We will probably never know the truth.

Take care.......

Meadmaker
23rd September 2004, 04:02 AM
Only one thing you can be sure of....in politics, you never take prisoners. :rolleyes:

At least we've got another year until it starts here....;)

Chops
23rd September 2004, 04:29 AM
all i have to say is............

:yawn:

speculative
23rd September 2004, 03:45 PM
You guys wanna share something with the rest of the class?

Ok, here is the run-down:

Bill Burkett, a retired national guardsman, was angry in the past for not getting the health benefits he thought he should get. So, he ambles into some gov. office in Texas and starts going off. The official gets him his benefits, but even though his needs have been satisfied, this starts him off on an anti-Bush crusade. One of the things that he has managed was to "get ahold" of some national guard documents that show Bush didn't show up for a medical exam, among other things. (Even if the things in the alleged document were true they didn't seem like a big deal to me :rolleyes: ) It is now known that the Gore campaign in 2000 knew about the documents but chose not to use them to their advantage. Burkett approaches CBS with the documents.

Someone at CBS takes the documents at face value and the story is made. The news producer at CBS, Mary Mapes, then calls the Kerry campaign and puts Joe Lockhart (Kerry campaign advisor) and tries to get him in touch with Burkett. (This obviously violates journalistic ethics and shows an extreme bias, since she didn't call the Bush campaign to get a comment from them.)

The documents are proven to be fake. How easy was it to tell they were fake? Well, here's how they knew:

1. They were photo-copied. As any lawyer will tell you, documents WILL NOT stand up in a court of law if they are photocopies, they MUST be originals. So, first off, CBS knew right off the bat that they were dealing with a document that would not stand up in a court of law.

2. The font used to write the document was not invented until years after the document was "allegedly" composed. I.e., someone forged it using MS Word.

3. The son and wife of the officer who supposedly wrote the document tried to tell CBS that the documents were false, yet CBS chose to believe Burkett, who is a nutcase (watch the 5-second video clip of him ranting and tell me he's not :rolleyes: ) over the man's own family.

Even though the documents were proved fake, Dan Rather denied that they were fake and kept trying to say that they were real. He has now apologized to the CBS viewers, though he has yet to apologize to Bush.

This is only the most recent and obvious proof of what many have known all along: the news media is completely liberally biased. All news is commentary, and nothing more...

Thank god I can now turn to at least one news organization for fair & balanced reporting...

Bush is about 5-7 points ahead of Kerry in the polls. Imagine how far ahead he'd be if it weren't for the liberal media? ;)

-spec

lechumbl
23rd September 2004, 03:51 PM
Hi Spec,

Thanx for going into detail about what happened.
I made a very short statement to answer Wylie's question.
Glad you had more detail.

Take care, and thanx..........

speculative
23rd September 2004, 05:26 PM
No prob; I heard most of that just last night as I was watching the news. Bad enough they didn't check their sources, but then the rest, well, it's pretty flabbergasting...

-spec

wyles
24th September 2004, 01:07 AM
Thanks Spec.
I would imagine a few heads will roll over this, and rightly so.
Politicians have to be pretty thick skinned and expect (and deserve) their lives and mistakes to be on public show, but they at least have the right to expect what is said should be the truth.
I cant believe a media organisation wouldnt research the fact.

Then again, Im just paranoid enough to wonder if it wasnt a clever ploy by the other party to discredit the opposition....you never know ;)