PDA

View Full Version : Dual Opterons! Which board?

CyberdynSystems
26th May 2004, 08:25 PM
Am I looking for info out of our league here? ;)

Do I need to go to a hardware site? :rolleyes:

All kidding aside..

Do any of you crunchers and clockers have any experience with the latest Dual opteron boards?

In a nutshell.. I thought it would be ages before I tried to upgrade again...

"SkyNet" is currently running an XP1900+ on an Abit KG-7 Raid (yep... still the same rig... just one now instead of SIX!)

I have had NO reason whatsoever to be even slightly displeased with the perfromance even though the rig is... whaqt? three years old? or is it just two?

Anyways.. things have changed.

The new Camera;
Canon EOS 1D MkII (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos1dmkii/)
(note ..preview.. because it's so new the review isn't done yet)

..the new camera's files are so huge that editing them in PSCS has dragged SkyNet to a screeching hault! (this is with 1GB of Corsair DDR onboard! :eek: )

So.. If I am going to upgrade the AI on SkyNet.. I want to pull out ALL the stops! (after all.. it's deductable)

I have looked at the MSI K8 and the latest Tyan "Thunder" Opteron dual boards...

Anyone have any Idea's?

res0r9lm
26th May 2004, 08:49 PM
MSI K8T Master2-FAR seems like a very affordable solution. newegg has them at $220

Fireblade
26th May 2004, 10:11 PM
You might find this article (http://tech-report.com/reviews/2004q2/dually-opterons/index.x?pg=1)... which compares 3x dual-opteron boards... useful CDS?

There's another article here (http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dualduel&page=1) which compares two of the boards already mentioned by yourself and Res'... namely the Tyan Thunder K8W and the MSI K8T Master 2 FAR:

http://www.gamepc.com/images/labs/rev-dualduel-fpLG.jpg (MSI on the right)

Summary: "Given the choice between the two boards (if price was not involved), we would go for the Thunder K8W in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the Tyan board is twice as expensive as the MSI board ( :eek: ), and the extra features which Tyan includes will really only appeal to the high-end workstation user.

If you're looking for dual Opteron on a budget, MSI's K8T Master provides a potent alternative to Tyan" :thumbsup:

And the :cool: red PCB is an added bonus :D

CyberdynSystems
26th May 2004, 10:29 PM
?
Question;

Will the red PCB speed up my photoshop operations?

I think it might? :D

Yes.. the MSI looks like a real deal!

Although EIGHT dimm slots on the Tyan "Thunder" is pretty "dreamy"...

I wonder.. also.. if the name "Thunder" out paces the RED PCB ???? Might be even faster 'eh?

Plus there is a legacy issue here...

As it turns out... the very first MoBo that was in the Very First "SkyNet" was a Tyan "Thunder II" .. a Dual Intel LX chipset for Pentium II 333MHZ... :)

CyberdynSystems
26th May 2004, 10:30 PM
Oh YES!

Very usefull... ! :)

res0r9lm
26th May 2004, 10:30 PM
whas the form factor on the tyan? I'm guess it's EATX or maybe SSI

CyberdynSystems
26th May 2004, 11:03 PM
EATX but it requires a whacko power supply too..

The MSI is nice.. but it has a real "issue" with CPU coolers... and board layout..

It looks like I'd choose the Tiger.. just because of the MSI's layout/Cooler issue? Too bad.. this one flaw really sours an otherwise excellent board.

I'll probably nt be diving in before July.. so we shall see what I decide... if I feel rich enough I may go with the Thunder.. my Case is EATX allready.. I'd just need to get the new power supply.

Read the review of the three boards.. the Thunder has a dedicated dual channel memory tunnel for EACH of the CPUs... (called "NUMA") this literally DOUBLES the memory bandwidth in WinXP-64 beta!

BigBen
28th May 2004, 11:30 PM
Out of the three it has to be the Thunder :D ... its a shame about the MSI and its cooler probs though as it looks good value

Regards

res0r9lm
29th May 2004, 12:34 AM
Are the msi's socket's being so close together the problem with cooling? how about being watercooled then it shouldn't matter about how close they are

CyberdynSystems
29th May 2004, 12:59 AM
The MSI uses P4 cooler brackets? it doesn't have standard mounting holes .. and the second CPU is so close to the AGP slot that most coolers won't fit.. for this reason MSI supplies two coolers.. but they aren't even matched! The one for the CPU next to the AGP slot is an oddball that leaves that CPU running a good 10 degrees hotter than the other one?

Without the standard holes in the PCB for the coolers.. I doubt that one could come up with a water block without custom fabrication?

Really weird.

res0r9lm
29th May 2004, 02:33 AM
I usually make my own blocks not really worth the labor involved since you can get them so cheap. The block I have been working on and off on lately is a conversion from a swiftech mcxc 370 into a watersink all thats left is I need to make a top. It's more of a past time I don't think it would cool any better than whats on the market though.

res0r9lm
29th May 2004, 03:58 AM
I wouldn't mind having a dually or even a quad opteron rig myself but would stick with linux as I like it better than windows but I think i'll wait until they get the problems with sse2 worked out.