PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Linksys MEdia Adapter?

CyberdynSystems
18th January 2004, 01:23 AM
I finally broke down and got one of these,. set up was a bit trying but it's all installed,.

There is a huge aspect of this item missing though.

You can't control it from your PC????????????? :mad:

I am tempted to return it,. but that means hours down the drain (between configuration and wiring the "wireless" side to my Stero..(I can't explain why it takes hours.. at least not unless you have hours ! :) :eek: )

So the only way you can tell this thing what to do is via a wireless remote and watch it on your tv?

I had assumed I could just fire up any old media player on the PC (I'd even settle for a "Stinksys" media player) ... on the pC and send the signal to the wireless either instead of,. or as well as to the sound card. (either way I'd be happy)

So now to listen to music with this thing I HAVE to turn on the TV,. turn off the DVD player input and use the stupid remote to try and browse music... :(

O-kay,. here's the question...

Is there a way around this?
Has anyone written either a driver or web based server tool that will allow us to control this beast from the PC?

:confused:

Hogward
19th January 2004, 10:36 PM
CDS, although I don't own one of those adapters, I just browsed the user guide on Linksys and discovered that the system was designed to be used from the TV interface, using the supplied remote control.

That's the way it was designed... so a person can enjoy the music or still pictures resident on their PC network using the GOOD sound system of the home and the Big Screen TV.

The Wireless-B Media Adapter sits by your home stereo and television and connects to them using standard consumer electronics cables. Then it connects to your home network by Wireless-B (802.11b) wireless networking, or if you prefer, it can be connected via standard 10/100 Ethernet cabling. Using the included remote control and the user-friendly menus on your TV, you can browse through the digital pictures on your computer by folder, filename, or thumbnail. You can view pictures one at a time, or watch an automatically created slideshow of all the pictures in a given folder. The Media Adapter supports four popular picture formats: JPG, GIF, TIF and BMP. Use the remote control's Zoom button to get a close-up of the details in your pictures.

You can also use the remote to browse your MP3 or WMA formatted music collection by title, artist, genre, folder, or playlist. Choose the music you want, and let the Wireless-B Media Adapter play it through your stereo system. You can even let music play in the background while you browse your pictures.

Doesn't seem like there are other options. Unless your PC happens to be located right next to your home audio system and big screen TV, why would you want to control the system from your PC? :dunno:

CyberdynSystems
22nd January 2004, 06:05 PM
Just because the PC HAS to be onn allready,. as that is what is in fat palying the music,. I thought it was awkward that to then use the PC to play the musinc I would have to use a TV set to control it.

I suppose I should have read this,. but I thought it was a medai adapter to bridge the gap between the PC and my stereo... franly I have no interest in having it involve a TV,. what if (as in my case) the TV and stereo are not even in the same room???

So The original problem was that the PC and Stereo are in seperate rooms,. so the media adapter solved this issue,. now it is replaced with the need for a TV in the room where the Stereos controlls are :(

FYI I have speakers in several rooms in my Apartment,. so by "bridging" the gap between PC and Stereo I can pipe music into all rooms...

It just seems oddd to HAVE to rely on a third appliance,. totally un involved in the entire soud chain as the ONLY source of control...

Lastly,. even of the TV were not an issue ...

since when is clunky remote cotrol user interface even slightly as flexible as a nice peice of software controlled from a PC?

If I wanted to control my stereo via remote control from the living room,. then I would just use a CD changer and remote??????

Why go through the hassle (and expense) of connection to the PC if I am not going to use the PC to control it? I should jsut stick with the CDs in the first place?

The hardware is now there,. why I can't I just get my media player to send the songs to the PC sound card AND the Wireless media adpater at the same time?

Oh well,. the next one to make one of these will do it I'm sure.

Hogward
22nd January 2004, 07:45 PM
caveat empĚtor
n.
The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying.
:sunshine:

CyberdynSystems
31st January 2004, 06:52 AM
I have now lived with the Media Adapter for a few weeks,..

And despite the single shotcoming of no direct PC control,. I must say it is a wonderfull apartment companion! :)

I had never really gotten into the "MP3 Thing" .. didn't even know how to work with "play lists"

But now I think I'm hooked!

Not having to work with CD burning software to get your audio files into compilations in the correct order etc... but instead by using "virtual albums" in Jet Audio which can be saved as standard playlists,. playlists that the Media Adapter will find and play!!!

The TV interface isn't bad at all.. once you get the hang of it.

I'm hooked for sure,. soon I will be ripping all my CDs to MP3 and creating dozens of my own compilation playlists..

Hmm,. Maybe i'll take the very last of my former DC node MoBos, stuff it in a case with a couple massive hard drives and make a dedicated file server/jukebox

Hogward
31st January 2004, 01:37 PM
CDS, that sounds like a plan! Glad to see you have made lemonade from the lemons you thought you had bought! :wink: