PDA

View Full Version : Climate Prediction...

TGC
7th October 2003, 12:30 AM
...is now one of the projects tracked by DC Repository here (http://www.msu.edu/~bercikda/rank_pscience.html)

LinearB
7th October 2003, 12:17 PM
Okay, before I blunder into another project:-

1. Is anybody already running this and have they created a team?
2. Is anybody interested in participating in this project ?

Farley
7th October 2003, 01:30 PM
:banghead:

jema
7th October 2003, 01:52 PM

I guess one of the problems with so many projects, it that it is easy to miss the odd thing :rolleyes:

jema

TGC
7th October 2003, 10:57 PM
Okay, before I blunder into another project:-

1. Is anybody already running this and have they created a team?
2. Is anybody interested in participating in this project ?

1) I've been running it in the background on one 1 machine (a very slow machine at that), very large workunits taking weeks to complete on old hardware. :(

2) No team created, but I believe Meady was looking at this project a while back, but not sure if he ran it? I have no desire to create a team, but if one is created I would be willing to throw what little production I do in the project towards the team effort.

Agreed, alot of different projects available, perhaps too many for a small team such as Ninja to run them all. No way to be competitive in them all (at least not to the extent we ould like to be (top 10-20 overall teams placement).

Meadmaker
7th October 2003, 11:33 PM
Had a look - decided not to create a Team. As you say, we've too many projects as it is without opening the floodgates to a lot more....:p

LinearB
8th October 2003, 12:27 AM
I've always been happy to get involved in new projects even if it means we are probably being spread too thinly, Individuals tend to settle in their favourite projects and can manage some rather impressive production. Kitcat in RSA576 and Q in 17oB come to mind here.

My current guidline tends to be if it's in the DC-Repository stats I might be tempted or it's so dialup friendly I just can't refuse :)

CP does seem to be rather like GIMPS in terms of single units of work lasting weeks (even on high spec machines) and the 6MB unit upload is a little off-putting for me ;)

I'm in the middle of compiling an overview to all the projects we're currently involved in and trying to gauge how we might start to achieve what TGC mentions and become a little more competitive.

Suggestions on a postcard to the usual address :)

Farley
8th October 2003, 12:59 AM
To spite my head banging I agree with LB. It doesn't really "hurt" us to not be in the top list in all the projects. Look at Seti, we're just now reaching 100th.

Second point, maybe some whos active in a project that we don't cruch hard, sees the team, visits and decides to join.

Plus it gives everyone a chance to check out new projects and get the teams feed back. Take Lafemapper. I would of never found the project on my own, but after seeing how the Admin tried so hard to makes us welcomed and keep us informed I stayed with it.

:)

Meadmaker
8th October 2003, 01:08 AM
Valid points, Farley - I will have another look-see at things.

I know of at least three more projects for the Team to start in. :D

Farley
8th October 2003, 01:10 AM
I know of at least three more projects for the Team to start in. :D

LinearB
8th October 2003, 01:25 AM
May I humbly suggest new project suggestions are started here or over in the maths forum, not to veto them but just to make sure nobody has already started a team and to gauge possible interest. :)

Low key teams with a Team Ninja representation:-

ChessBrain, Gimps, Euler, DHEP, LifeMapper, DPAD

Meadmaker
8th October 2003, 01:28 AM
May I humbly suggest new project suggestions are started here or over in the maths forum, not to veto them but just to make sure nobody has already started a team and to gauge possible interest. :)

That makes sense. :nod:

Which forum is cidermaking@home most suited to then? :p

Fireblade
8th October 2003, 03:12 AM
Which forum is cidermaking@home most suited to then? :p
I'm starting a new 'Donate a crate to Fireblade', if that's OK Meady :p

Farley
8th October 2003, 03:18 AM
:lol: @ Meady.

Where do I download the DACTFB client then Fireblade? I'm hot on it. ;)

Meadmaker
8th October 2003, 03:35 AM
Sounds good to me. :D

You'll need to install "applecrusher v.1.1.3" first though, or the client won't run properly. :lol:

LinearB
8th October 2003, 08:34 AM
Totally off topic I know, but I'm looking at making some Cider next year and being a complete newbie have been put off by what I've read so far. If we have any experts in this particular field (you know who I'm looking at :D ). I'd been interested in picking up a few tips (well actually I need somebody to show me what to do :) )

Meadmaker
8th October 2003, 10:58 AM
LB,

Let me know when you're planning on making a start, and I'll come and visit. :D