PDA

View Full Version : 4 fixes to a safer shuttle

Gservo
21st June 2003, 02:25 AM
The final report from the Columbia Accident Investigation Board is due this month, and NASA meanwhile is conducting its own review in preparation for a return to flight. Both are expected to point the finger at a chunk of foam insulation that struck the shuttle's wing during launch. A series of impact tests done at the Southwest Research Institute showed that a piece of foam weighing about 1.7 pounds and moving at 779 feet per second could have dislodged or damaged one of the T-seals that separate the wing's protective carbon panels, allowing super hot gases to seep inside the wing as Columbia reentered Earth's atmosphere on February 1.more here (http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviation/article/0,12543,459967,00.html)

Fallguy
21st June 2003, 07:52 AM
I've got 1 fix for safer space flight....

Replace the damn shuttle, cheapskate morons! Sheesh, its almost older than I am...

Fallguy

jema
21st June 2003, 10:31 AM
I have always wondered whether if all the money that has been put into rocket based flight, has been put into alternative means of getting into space, whether things would have leapt a generation ahead?

jema

Fallguy
21st June 2003, 12:03 PM
I wonder if all the money that has been put into keeping the aging and obsolete technology in the shuttle up and running had been put into developing scramjets, whether we would still be using rockets at all... :(

Fallguy