PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500

IndyMode
11th May 2003, 11:28 PM
So - do we have any race fans here? any IRL/Cart junkies?

Being born and bred in Indianapolis, I think racing is in my blood :)

So who are you rooting for? Normally I'd be cheering Eddie Cheever Jr, but as he is insisting on sitting out this year, I'm not sure who I am rooting for yet...

Chops
12th May 2003, 12:50 AM
:sleep: :xpuke: :suck:

bubbadog
12th May 2003, 01:08 AM
What chops so delicately meant to say is that he does not get the same enjoyment from the sport that others do ;)

As for me...I'm not into racing or race cars, though I do tend to drive as though I am in one! :beep:

Chops
12th May 2003, 03:04 AM
no offense lil' lady, but unless its on TWO WHEELS or takes place on the STREETS, preferably a combination of the two ;) , it strikes me as pretty boring. And like just about all sports, its not about the thrill, competition, sportsmanship, its about the amount of money you can make through sponsors, merchandise and the list goes on. If you like it enjoy it. I grew tired of all the strikes, walk outs and the b**ching / backstabbing thats goes along with any kind of "SPORT" years ago. Only "sport" im interested in is college football, and thats only a little. ;) :p :D

bubbadog
12th May 2003, 03:05 AM
Because the pay scale is so good? ;)

IndyMode
12th May 2003, 02:34 PM
Helio Castroneves won the pole for the race, if anyone does happen to be a fan :) He qualified with a four-lap average speed of 231.725 mph for Team Penske.

Fireblade
13th May 2003, 09:43 AM
I'm a fan of motor-sport in general IndyMode... F1... Indy Car... Touring Cars (British/DTM/Aussie V8/FIA GT etc)... Moto GP/Superbikes et al. If it's covered on telly/Sky, I watch it when I can ;)

Can't say as I've seen/heard anything about the Indy 500 recently tho'? I've just gone thru' the sports channels listings on Sky, and it ain't mentioned! I can't believe they ain't covering such an historic/important race as the Indy 500 :eek: :confused:

Rids
14th May 2003, 01:19 PM
HOW FAST? :scared:
An average of 231mph is just insane :eek:
I hope they wear strong undies ;)

Johnymajors
14th May 2003, 02:22 PM
Found this on Google

The Grand Prix with the highest average speed in history was the 1971 Italian Grand Prix, won by Peter Gethin in a BRM at an average speed of 242.615 Kph (150.754 mph) on the Monza circuit which at the time did not have any chicanes (interestingly, a recent computer simulation suggested that current Formula One cars would achieve an average of 239.103 Kph (148.571 mph). Though this may not seem that fast compared to the likes of Indy Car Racing, if a modern F1 car was setup to run on an indy cuircuit, computer simulations have shown that it would be possible to run an average speed of 398.6544 Kph (247.712mph)

McLaren's David Coulthard set a new Formula One speed record, when he recorded a speed of 361 km/h (224.3 mph). Coulthard recording this when going through the speed trap of sector 1 (from the start/finish straight to the Jim Clark Kurve), on lap 24.

Burnt Offering
8th June 2003, 04:54 PM
Hey Indymode, Don't know if you like Nascar or not, but I have what's called a Micro Reality Stock Car Track. To say it's fun is a grand understatement. But you should check it out on my website at: www.extremenorth.com Click on the Micro Reality Stock Car link after the intro.
Even if your not a big Nascar fan, It's a riot.

speculative
8th June 2003, 07:27 PM
Left, left, left, left, left... crash, pacecar... left, left, left, left... somebody's undies bunched up, pacecar... left, left, left, left, left, left, left...

Let me know when they add jumps, water hazards, wild animals running across the track, snow, mud, dirt, and rocks the size of tires...

Until then, I'll continue to be more impressed by 80 than 230. ;)