PDA

View Full Version : new client setup

dodgygeeeza
3rd May 2003, 04:28 PM
two rigs running the new client, both the same user name and team number, each machine has it's own seperate d/l client and machine id number ie: 1 and 2, also user id numbers are different.. anyone know if this is correct....

Ragnarog
3rd May 2003, 04:30 PM
Did the same here with the 2 Genome Rigs...

Running fine here :)

Only thing I dont quite get is why the machine id is there at all..I set it to 1 and to 2 on the other like you did....but iirc it only went from 1-4 :confused:

Rag

dodgygeeeza
3rd May 2003, 04:49 PM
thats ok then, i think it's just the case of keeping track of what each rig has done, uploaded 8 genes on rig 2 and 2 genes on rig 1 but only 7 have appeared on the stats, i think only time will tell if both rigs are uploading to the same location:rolleyes:

Meadmaker
3rd May 2003, 05:22 PM
The machine ID # is issued by PandeGroup, and is used solely for statistical purposes - they analyse what machines have done which genes, and compare the same result from two separate machines, as a way of verifying the algorythms.

So it is correct, and will not affect your stats at all.

Ragnarog
3rd May 2003, 05:42 PM
Hm..

I'm talking about the machine ID you chose yourself during the initial setup.....

:confused:

Rag

Meadmaker
3rd May 2003, 06:06 PM
Oops - sorry, I misunderstood. :rolleyes:

I believe the reason for a machine ID is for those who are running duallies.

If you're running two instances of the client on one machine, and you don't have separate ID's for them, when one client transmits its result and obtains new work, it could overwrite the file of the other client, and so reset it to zero. This is definitely the case if both installs are on the same partition - I'm not sure about if they're on different partitions.

Ragnarog
3rd May 2003, 07:25 PM
Hey, that makes sense :)

Thanks!

Rag