PDA

View Full Version : Another project for Team Ninja!

Meadmaker
1st April 2003, 08:56 AM
Hi Folks,

Here's another one for us to participate in:

Meadmaker
1st April 2003, 09:00 AM
This is FightAIDS@Home - another worthy cause for the Team.

It utilises the Entropia meta-engine.

The project can be found here (http://www.entropia.com/FAAH/join-FAAH.asp)

The client is very easy to install. Just choose a username, and enter "Team Ninja" (without the quotes) under the Join Team option.

Have fun, Folks. :D

/edit: One more thing - the stats update instantly! :D

Monkeymia
1st April 2003, 09:36 AM
Looks interesting :)

I need more machines :mad:

Meadmaker
1st April 2003, 09:44 AM
I know exactly what you mean, MM. I've had to suspend my favourite project to get the Team up and running in this one.

Oh, to win the Lottery, and have a big house with a "farm".....:lol:

Monkeymia
1st April 2003, 09:59 AM
Is G@H your favorite? I'm starting to get a bit miffed with the stats - I like the sengent based ones but they too are having stats problems. I was thinking about going back to UD but then this arrived :)

Meadmaker
1st April 2003, 10:03 AM
Yes, G@H is my favourite, although I agree with you about the current stats situation. 3 weekends on the trot now they've gone offline, which isn't good enough IMHO.

Saying that, G@H2 sucks big-time (I know - I've tried it), so I'm currently swapping from one project to another. I "found" this one a while back, but didn't start it until last night.

The client is very user-friendly, and seems to be very stable - even on highly O-C'ed rigs (which is good :nod: )

LinearB
1st April 2003, 11:09 AM
Something else to think about me thinks. dnet is going to be my main focus until I finally teach Terminator whoose the Boss but will try this one out tonight as we all need a little distraction from time to time ;)

Ragnarog
1st April 2003, 11:33 AM
I've used entropia a while back for some other project they ran then. I think the problem with it was that you could well be crunching on chemical weapons projects (for example) while you think you're trying to find a cure for "insert disease"

Back then they stated that from time to time they would give your machine "something else" to crunch on which in this case wouldnt be the aids cure...

I'd say we read the small print before engaging into that one :)

Rag

Meadmaker
1st April 2003, 12:51 PM
Hi Rag,

There's now an option to select which projects you wish to work on, much like the way BOINC is going to be set up.

There are currently 3 options - I have selected only the FA@H project, but I will report back should the client "switch" without notifiying me.

Talon
1st April 2003, 01:10 PM
Another question to ask is what happens to the research/results when they get it. Some of these medical projects get sold or are used for profit by the big med companies, which I personally find annoying. If this isn't the case, and if also doesn't "switch" the project to things I don't agree with without my permission, than I will gladly join in and help the team. Keep us posted Meady.

Fireblade
1st April 2003, 02:10 PM
Same here... e.g. I too need more rigs (hah... show me a cruncher who doesn't :D), and I'd also like confirmation that my results are only gonna go towards the project/cause of my choosing (AIDS research) ;)

A very good find nonetheless Meady :clap: and a very worthwhile cause IMHO :nod: I will also get it up-and-running just as soon as these 'doubts' have been cleared ;)

I've actually just emailed 'em about a broken link(?), and took the opportunity to ask 'em to confirm...

a. The client will not 'switch' to something other than the cause we chose when setting it up (e.g. FA@H).

b. The results of our efforts will never be sold for profit.

Assuming all is well, this'll be a first for me! My three rigs will be running three different projects (G@H, DF + FA@H) :woot:

//hmmmnnn... what to run on me next rig :p

Meadmaker
1st April 2003, 03:50 PM
Some answers to questions reproduced below:

How much of the time used on my computer is devoted to the FightAIDSatHome project, and how much is devoted to Entropia’s for-profit ventures?

You can see the amount of computational time applied toward the projects we support on the Entropia Internet Grid at http://www.entropia.com/stats_by_project.asp (updated hourly). FightAIDSatHome has never received less than 75% of the computational power from Entropia’s “Computer the Size of Planet Earth,” and has consumed as high as 95% for months at a time. Entropia has not set a fixed percentage of computational time allocated to any project (philanthropic or commercial) but there is presently no commercial work running on the Internet grid, and we continue to ensure that the cause computing projects we support will always have more compute power than they need to accomplish their research.

Of course, Entropia must have revenue and make a profit in order to survive as a business. This also ensures that we will be able to keep cause computing projects like FightAIDSatHome running strong and accelerating important research.

Entropia’s primary product is what we call our “Enterprise Platform.” This is basically the same technology we developed for the Internet grid, but instead of running it on the Internet, we install it on top of a corporate PC network so that a company can use its (already purchased) PCs to drive its own computationally intensive work. These enterprise platforms are not connected to Entropia’s Internet grid, so the members participating in our cause computing projects are unaffected by Entropia’s revenue-generating operations.

At Entropia, we think our members deserve to make informed decisions about participating in the projects of their choice. We have supported some commercial Web testing (which basically tests Web sites for the number of viewers or shopping carts they can handle at any one time and from many different points on the globe and how fast they can do this) on the Internet Grid for a few months. We do not presently see that market as a big opportunity (witness the downturn in the dot-com economy). As for our Enterprise customers, we found that the majority wanted to conduct their own computationally intensive work within the firewalls of their own corporate Local Area Networks (i.e., not on the Internet grid).

Members supporting our cause computing projects have asked if the processing power they supply to the Internet grid, where projects like FightAIDSatHome are run, also support commercial or governmental projects, such as bomb building or testing. It is very important to understand that distributed computing technology in general (not just Entropia’s technology) is not capable of the kind of modeling required for building bombs or other weapons. Regular supercomputers are required for this, and governments use their own so they can maintain very tight security. Even if it were possible to do this with distributed computing, nobody would ever run it over the Internet.

As a business, Entropia has a fiduciary responsibility to look at every opportunity to earn revenue. The most promising markets and applications of Entropia’s technology are in the fields of life sciences, financial services, product design (software, electronics goods, and cars, for example) and digital entertainment. These are the fields on which we are focusing our business efforts.

I think this covers the question about profit-making ventures (not any more), and the question about weapons also. It would appear that Entropia now finance their meta-engine by selling it to corproate clients for use within their own LAN's, rather than selling any of the results generated to pharmaceutical companies.

I am following that last item up with the FA@H controllers, and will report back when I have more information.

Talon
1st April 2003, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the info Meady. I'm sure I can find another pc to add to this. Perhaps someone should start working on the "FA@H" for dummies thread???? :D

Meadmaker
1st April 2003, 04:15 PM
Further to my last post, reproduced below is a copy of an email I have sent to the FA@H project director, Dr. Morris:

Dear Dr. Morris,

I represent a distributed computing team which currently has a large base of members working on the various DC projects that are currently in progress.

I "discovered" your project, and have put in a recommendation to our members that we add it to our project list.

Several of the members have raised a question which I have been unable to answer, even after trawling through the FAQ's. It is this: will the results generated by this project be sold for profit to pharmaceutical companies, or be made available in the public domain?

I would be grateful of you could let me know, as our team does not involve itself with work-for-profit projects.

Thanking you in advance for your time,

Yours faithfully,

Patrick Parker.

Team Ninja representative.

I will post his reply as soon as it arrives.

Fireblade
1st April 2003, 05:41 PM
Excellent Meady :bow:

Awaiting his response wi' baited breath :D

Monkeymia
1st April 2003, 06:20 PM
I've sent a couple of units back now for this project (and the team :thumbsup: ) and have only a tick next to the Fight AIDS @Home project and I keep running a task known as 'Application #0020', which I beleive is a benchmark application that I have distinctly told the client not to run in the settings. Have you any experience of this? As I would love to flush this benchmark task and get on with the real reason that I installed the client and that is to run the AIDS research project.

I don't seem to be able to get rid of it even from the applications directory.

Terminator
1st April 2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by LinearB
Something else to think about me thinks. dnet is going to be my main focus until I finally teach Terminator whoose the Boss but will try this one out tonight as we all need a little distraction from time to time ;) :p :D

Meadmaker
1st April 2003, 08:08 PM
@Monkeymia:

I also wondered about this, as it was also running application #0020 on both my rigs.

According to what I've found on their support site, it is exactly that - a benchmarking test of your system. Until it has "fully evaluated", it will continue "testing".

I have submitted an enquiry as to how long this will take, and am awaiting a response - I'll let you know soonest once I know myself. In the meantime, I suggest you shut it down, and run something else - that is what I have done.

bubbadog
1st April 2003, 08:16 PM
*cough* DF *cough* ;)

/Bubba runs before Meady catches her! :D

Meadmaker
1st April 2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by bubbadog
*cough* DF *cough* ;)

/Bubba runs before Meady catches her! :D

If you've ever seen me trying to run, you'd be howling with :roflmao: - it's not a pretty sight, I assure you. :lol:

*cough* G@H classic *cough*

Monkeymia
1st April 2003, 09:33 PM
Back to G@h and see if I can catch that chap on the FireBlade http://members.lycos.nl/smilieweb1/smilies/Auto20.gifhttp://members.lycos.nl/smilieweb1/smilies/Auto27.gif

LinearB
2nd April 2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Terminator
Originally posted by LinearB
Something else to think about me thinks. dnet is going to be my main focus until I finally teach Terminator whoose the Boss but will try this one out tonight as we all need a little distraction from time to time ;) :p :D

Nice to see those sun glasses don't stop you seeing T ;).

Having spent some time yesterday discussing tactics with Vinovia and perusing a few hardware sites, I can now confirm that I'm no closer to catching you than before, not only that but that pesky Nanobot thinks he can have second place too :rolleyes:

/ LinearA/B retires to the war room.

P.S Vinny gives you his regards in OGR-25 :D

Terminator
2nd April 2003, 11:09 AM
I had noticed Vinny's stomp and it's been added to my todo list ;) after our target in RC5 has been achieved and secured :D

Good to hear you're no closer to catching me, although this could be mis-leading information, not that I don't trust you or anything :p

Is Saturday still dumpday ?

LinearB
2nd April 2003, 11:30 AM
Saturday is normally dump day, although I've got a few additional units to dump tonite as I've not been on the PC for a couple of days :eek: