PDA

View Full Version : Burns Hears Thunder

Gservo
28th March 2003, 02:42 AM
Edward Burns, star of the upcoming SF film A Sound of Thunder, told SCI FI Wire that he considered the time-travel movie an unlikely project for himself, as he'd never read the Ray Bradbury short story on which it's based. But though Burns said he wasn't much of a literary SF fan, "it was one of those genres that I like as a moviegoer. So when the opportunity came up to be in the film and to work with Ben Kingsley—and because people had told me that the short story was one of Bradbury's best—I thought, 'Huh, all right.' ... And it turned out to be a great experience."

Burns plays Dr. Travis Ryer, a guide with Time Safari Inc., a company owned by Charles Hatton (Kingsley), which uses time-travel technology to enable its clientele to hunt for dinosaurs in the past. When rules are broken and the future is altered, Ryer must team with Sonia Rand (Catherine McCormack), creator of the time-travel technology, to save the day.

"The short story ends when the group comes back and realizes they've screwed with evolution," Burns said. "So now 2038 Chicago is something of a rain forest. Basically, that's the end of the movie's first act, and the next hour is spent trying to fix the wrongs that we've done."

Burns said he spent four months acting in front of a blue screen. "It was a very, very different experience for me," he said. "It was one of those things where I can't wait to see the movie in order to see the environment they've created around us." Peter Hyams (TimeCop) directed A Sound of Thunder, which is tentatively scheduled for release in spring 2004.

Sirius
28th March 2003, 09:00 AM
I'm bafled how they can spin this out into a film. It's a good short story but hardly two hours worth!

CyberdynSystems
29th March 2003, 12:14 AM
Haven't read it myself,.. but usually the typical "Must have plot ingredients" to make it in Hollywood are added whether it is in the original story or not.

Love interest,. bad guy,. etc. Just like all of the Sci fi movies made from 30 page Phillip K. Dick short stories,. or in some cases,. mere "Concepts" of Harlan Ellison.

Fallguy
29th March 2003, 07:47 AM
So,
in essence they have found a short story with bugger all depth to it, and are now going to use that story as an excuse to make a completely different plot (usually a poor one) whilst claiming that the film has a classic sci-fi heritage.... just like they do all the time..... :(

Fallguy