PDA

View Full Version : Proud Daddie Time

Squeaky
16th March 2003, 06:23 PM
Well I've just returned from a day trip to Newcastle, where my son, Lewis, took part in an under 8s Rugby event.

Shockingly - (to me at least :D ) they made it to the final :eek: -- the final was played at half-time in the Premiership Newcastle Falcons vs Leicester Tigers match...and having my sons name called out in front of 10,000 fans was an amazing feeling :D .... he took it all in his stride however LOL..the actual final resulted in a draw - but all the kids who took part where over the moon, unbeaten on the day after 6 games, and a stunning semi-final performance...we were just stunned to be there!!!

Newcastle Falcons have promised the team some photos of the event so I'll post them if I get my mits on them in the next couple of weeks. :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine:

Should I calm down now? :rolleyes: (actually we've been watching rugby since 11am -- *i'm* pooped! Lewis wants to go out and play football :eek: )

had to share :)

Squeaky
16th March 2003, 06:34 PM
in the meantime..he was last seen flaring his nostrils at home like this (a few months ago) :D

Meadmaker
16th March 2003, 07:21 PM
That is brilliant news, Les - thanks for sharing it with us.

You must be very, very proud, and rightly so. Did you take a videocamera with you?

Fallguy
16th March 2003, 07:24 PM
Proper Rugby,
or this girly League stuff?

Squeaky
16th March 2003, 08:10 PM
LOL..nah its not girlie league stuff :p

but of course for under 8s it is still non-contact ;)

and i have to admit meady to not owning a videocam.. which is a terrible shame with the team doing so incredibly well :(

Fallguy
16th March 2003, 08:21 PM
Bah,
wait till he turns 11, then let 'im loose with the contact rugby (I am presuming they still make 11 year olds play)..... and then see if he still likes it! ;)

I actually didn't start enjoying rugby until I was about 13, for the first 2 years I just stood around trying to avoid:
1) Getting hit
2) Getting the ball (precursor to getting hit)
3) Getting muddy (result of getting hit)
4) Freezing to death (which slowed you down, resulting in you getting hit, see point 1).

When I turned 13 I figured out that its better to be the one hitting than be the one hit, and running around alot generally keeps you warm. Oh, and anyone wearing clean kit is very liable to be hit..... :lol:

Fallguy

Squeaky
16th March 2003, 08:42 PM
he's ok on all points SO FAR :)

he likes the mud :D..and he never missed a game during the winter (though i wish he had so i didnt have to freeze my errr..todgers off every Sunday morning ;) )

only problem is his build..if he stays as he is, and grows like his Dad, he'll struggle to gain a decent weight - he's not scared of contact (regardless of sport ;) ) but its a terrible disadvantage no matter how quick or tough if you are too lightweight - he (like myself) can mix it with the big guys in footie..but wouldnt want to face a rugger scrum :eek:

Meadmaker
16th March 2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Squeaky
LOL..nah its not girlie league stuff :p

but of course for under 8s it is still non-contact ;)

and i have to admit meady to not owning a videocam.. which is a terrible shame with the team doing so incredibly well :(

Squeaks.....I haven't got one either! :(

Fallguy
16th March 2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Squeaky
he's ok on all points SO FAR :)

he likes the mud :D..and he never missed a game during the winter (though i wish he had so i didnt have to freeze my errr..todgers off every Sunday morning ;) )

only problem is his build..if he stays as he is, and grows like his Dad, he'll struggle to gain a decent weight - he's not scared of contact (regardless of sport ;) ) but its a terrible disadvantage no matter how quick or tough if you are too lightweight - he (like myself) can mix it with the big guys in footie..but wouldnt want to face a rugger scrum :eek:

Oh I don't know,
some of the small guys I knew were damn good fly or scrum halves. Provided he is nippy on his feet, and can kick, he should be alright. In modern games, the kicking seems to be alot more important than it used to be, I guess thats progress for ya. If I kicked the ball I'd be accused of being a wimp "Only girlies kick balls"...... which is actually quite true (and very cringe worthy) when you think about it..... :eek:

Hell one of the guys I knew was only 5 foot 2 inches, and he was so nippy on his feet it was almost comical watching these hulking forwards try and bring him down...... :D

Fallguy

BigBen
17th March 2003, 07:32 AM
Nice one Squeaks :D and I bet you were more nervous than him hahahaha I can remember when LittleBen(Kyle) won his British Kickboxing title I was in a far worse state then him :rolleyes: I still get nervous watching the video ..... just in case he loses this time hahahahahahahaa :D

Regards

PS: You gotta try and remember not to tell everyone more than 10 times or they start to fall asleep ..... I should know :D

Squeaky
17th March 2003, 12:32 PM
Thanks BB :) I remember you telling us all..a few times :D

but you/we cannot help ourselves :)

and you are right..he was quite dismissive of it all...but *I* was excited LOL.