PDA

View Full Version : NEC DVD recorder IDE ND-1100A

BigBen
2nd March 2003, 09:37 PM
Hi Folks!,
Are these (http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=31245&t=1897&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=3&GrpID=10&s=pl) any good? or are these (http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=28418&t=1897&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=3&GrpID=10&s=pl) that much better?

Regards

Tweety
2nd March 2003, 09:51 PM
The advantage with the Sony is that it takes all formats of DVD's...

NEC supposedly will release a new model in 2-3 weeks time that will support all formats, and supposed to be in the same price range as the first one you linked... when released... I'm waiting for that one...

CyberdynSystems
2nd March 2003, 10:15 PM
BigBen,.. if you only do ONE format,. it really should be DVD-R DVD-RW as it has far better compatibility in both DVD players and PC DVD-Rom dirves.

The Sony looks a lot better as the standards war is still not over. I for one have a Pioneer which is DVD-RW. The better of the two formats true,. but if DVD+RW becomes the accepted standard,.. well then I am SOL.

If the Sony had been available,. it would have been my first choice.

Plus the NEC drive is someone elses re-branded drive,.. and I do not know of a single DVD+RW only drive that is being heralded as a great drive. So this one would be suspect in my mind.

Fireblade
3rd March 2003, 04:46 AM
The DRU-500A is the best drive currently available IMHO Ben :nod: - if you can get hold of it that is!

It was less than a month ago that every single online store I checked had "Sold Out" - it's that popular :eek: It may very well be available again now tho', so if it is... you don't mind paying the extra for the dual-format compatibility... and it's white facia fits wi' yer current case theme (unlike many others, it's only available in the one colour)... it's the drive t' buy :thumbsup:

[edit] T' give ye an idea of how the Sony compares against what is pro'ly one of the most popular drives available - the Pioneer DVR-AO5U (DVD-R/RW), there's a good review/comparison article over on Extreme Tech (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,842318,00.asp) ;)

BigBen
3rd March 2003, 10:25 AM
Thx chaps :) I think I will wait the few weeks and see what the new NEC drive is like

Regards

Tweety
3rd March 2003, 11:24 AM
The one I was talking about NEC releasing soon... It's also linked at the same site... They seem to have pushed the release date back thoo... Look here for info

Edit... It would be usefull if I included the link wouldn't it?

here (http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=27388&t=00&l=1&AvdID=1&CatID=3&GrpID=10&s=pl)

Fireblade
3rd March 2003, 11:32 AM
erm... look where Tweety :scratch: :D

The link (on the UK-based site) for their new DVD-RW ND 1300A is here (http://www.nec.co.uk/ND1300A.asp) BigBen :thumbsup:

[edit] Hah... you beat me to it Tweety :thumb: I have t' say... that's a pretty good price, for what sounds like a nifty bit o' kit :nod:

BigBen
3rd March 2003, 12:25 PM
Thx for the link chaps ..... looks like a good deal from what I can tell ..... just got to find one now :D

Regards

Tweety
3rd March 2003, 11:05 PM
Yeah... with the support of all formats that price is really good... remarked or not... if it isn't the fastest I can still live with that...:)

BigBen
4th March 2003, 10:52 AM
yikes my Graphics card died today so I am having to get a Radeon 9700 Pro thing :) looks like May before I get a DVD burner now :(

Regards

Fireblade
4th March 2003, 02:15 PM
Any particular reason you've opted for the 9700 PRO BB - other than it's unrivalled firepower?

I ask, simply coz you coulda settled for a 9500 PRO just now.... coz it'ss available for less than 150, it's DX9 compatible, and is capable of handling anything you care t' throw at it. You then won't have long t' wait for the new range of ATI cards... after the release of which I expect the price o' the 9700 PRO to drop quite significantly, but you'll have enough time between now and then t' save up and 'treat' yourself again ;)

Buying a 9500 PRO instead of a 9700 PRO just now will also leave ya wi' a significent amount of money t' put towards yer new drive too :nod:

Just my 2p's worth m8 :thumb:

BigBen
4th March 2003, 04:34 PM
I needed a card right now as my one has died and I do get 7 games for the kids to play with .... I just won't look at prices for a long while now :D

Regards

BigBen
15th March 2003, 12:03 PM
Hi,
Whats the difference between the Sony DRU-500A and the Sony DRU-500AX

Regards

Fireblade
15th March 2003, 02:11 PM
I'd guess it's either coz sites are just not using the full title BB (the Sony Website (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=p5b_mR_rt0z_nyGYldv1klDmSj-3iTcC1iY=?CatalogCategoryID=dXoKC0%2eNtbAAAADzjeMT luG2&Dept=cpu) only mentions the DRU500AX), but... since Sony themselves are quoting it as being a "New" drive, maybe the DRU500AX has now superceded the DRU-500A?

Ian Newson
16th March 2003, 12:58 AM
DRU 500A(X)/UL(X) : retail versions. Internal/External
DW10U/DW-12U : OEM versions

If Sony are to be belived then the DRU500AX is a DRU500A with the latest firmware ( to allow it to write to DVD+R at 4x speed ). But seeing as the firmware for the AX and the A are ( to quote sony ) "incompatible" then I think personaly that their must have been one or two modifications to the hardware.

Mind you seeing as a certain uk pc supplier are shipping the oem version of the 500A drive called the dw-10U for 205 and the cheapest for the 500ax is dabs at 247 I guess its up to you to decide.

Ian

Fireblade
16th March 2003, 06:40 AM
Thanks for that info Ian ;)

I know a couple o' guys who've flashed their 500A's wi' firmware to enable the drive to write @ 4x, so I guess there must be different versions of firmware for each drive?

It wouldn't make much sense to me for anyone to pay the extra for the new AX, if you can flash the 'standard' A model to do the same job for nowt eh ;)

Bursar
26th March 2003, 12:41 PM
Thought I'd resuurect this thread, as I'm looking to buy a DVD writer for work (but I'm sure I can sneak in a few personal burns!).

Anyway, is there any more news on other brands of multi-format burners, or is the Sony still the drive of choice?

We'll be using the drive to create CD and DVD masters that we'll then chuck through our duplicator (a great bit of kit that holds 50 blank discs and whizzes off copies faster than you can blink!).

The duplicator does 40x CD copying and 4x DVD copying, so we'll really need a burner that uses 4x media when burning the DVD masters.

Tweety
26th March 2003, 01:14 PM
The Sony is the premium choiche rigth now...:)

The NEC dual format burner hasn't been released yet...:( So I'm waiting impatiently...:)

Bursar
26th March 2003, 02:24 PM
Hmm, the Sony may be the best choice, but getting hold of one is a tad tricky.

Here's a quote from my prefered supplier:
The Sony DRU's are in mega constraint. We currently have 2000 customers waiting and we have only been given 200 this month.
So I guess I should be able to get my hands on one at just about the time they become obsolete!!

BigBen
26th March 2003, 05:06 PM
I am waiting for the NEC one to come out and as for the sony someone really under estimated how popular it was going to be

Regards

Bursar
31st March 2003, 09:30 AM
Well, I must say I'm impressed!

Placed an order with Scan late last week for the Sony drive, and it turned up today!

So if ya want one, Scan is probably the place to go. Slightly more expensive than other suppliers, but you have to weigh that up against the timescales for delivery.

Scan 1 - Other suppliers 0.

Fireblade
31st March 2003, 11:56 AM
Nice one m8 (I'm envious!) ;)

I assume you're aware of the new firmware upgrade for it (v2.0e) - available here (http://www.sony-cp.com/en/dvd/support/downloads/index.html) (it was just released the other day apparently) :thumbsup:

Bursar
31st March 2003, 12:35 PM
Cheers :) My drive came with 2.0c on it, so a nice upgrade to 2.0e is welcome.

Mind you, I'm having some trouble with the MyDVD software that came with the drive.

It installed OK, but when I run it, the splash screen appears, and then the software just sits in the task bar.

I can't actually get it to come up in a window/full screen. The only option is to bring up Task Manager and kill it.

This is on a fully patched Win2K Pro system.

Anyone got any ideas?

Fireblade
31st March 2003, 03:09 PM
Is it Sonic MyDVD Bursar? You ain't gonna get any help from them personally if it is - according to this statement:

"If your Sonic product came bundled with another manufacturer's product, it is referred to as an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) product. If you are using an OEM Sonic product, contact the vendor from whom you purchased your product for assistance with that Sonic OEM software" :rolleyes:

It's darned unhelpful of 'em IMO t' pawn off problems wi' their software onto the vendor you bought the hardware from! What the hell will the hardware vendor know about the various software packages supplied wi' different hardware they sell :scratch:

Never having used the software personally Bursar... nor had that sorta problem happen to me, I can't offer you any help/advice unfortunately :(

Bursar
31st March 2003, 03:45 PM
Hmmm, so that means going back to Scan. Their technical knowledge is limited at best.

When we bought the USB 2.0 PenDrives, Scan sold them as the the secure version that uses password encyption. When I couldn't get it to work, I called them, and they didn't know.

I also emailed PenDrive, and they came back to me before Scan saying that the USB 2.0 PenDrives don't support tyhe security options!

Guess I'll try them anyway.