PDA

View Full Version : Film Review: The Ring

wyles
24th November 2002, 02:54 PM
I have a thing for horror films....

Since I was 12 or 13 and watched the extended version of "Salems Lot" alone in the house Ive tried to recapture that feeling of true mind numbing terror....it can be fun to be scared.

Getting older and desensitised makes it all so much harder.....horror films are on the whole remakes of themselves with the same old camera tricks and cheap shock tactics, or of course the bloodbath gross out. I've sat through most of them....

Every now and then comes along a ripper. it dates with time, but in its moment it really can grab you and take you where no other film genre can take you.....Wes Cravens original "Nightmare on Elm Street" was such a film, as was "The Serpent and the Rainbow" and "Exorcist 3".

To this I add "The Ring"

A remake of a Japanese horror film it takes a refreshing modern approach. There is a video. You watch it. On it appears images like someones nightmare. A woman appears who seems to look right at you. more images.....the film ends....

The phone rings...

A voice says "seven days"

Seven days to the minute later you are dead......

The film follows the week in the life of a journalist who tries to unravel the message in the video and find out whats going on...is it true....has she only seven days?? The pace of the film winds up and doesnt let up one bit. The moments of humour only letting you off your guard. The cheap shock tactics so often used are there, but instead of being relied upon as the sole source of "horror" rather add a nice touch to this psychological thriller. This films genious is its uniqueness.

In a few years when DVD takes over I will look back and laugh at it no doubt....same as I now laugh at "nightmare".....but for now.....it scared the sh*t out of me!