PDA

View Full Version : Need advice.

^7_of_9
14th November 2002, 11:34 PM
ok I managed to scrounge up some cash for a new mobo for the farm.

Need advice on a decent mobo.

Here's what I don't need:

Doesn't need on board audio
No onboard NIC
If it has onboard video it's no biggie
Better specs than the ECS K7S5A as it's slow in running DC projects.
Doesn't need RAID or SCSI
Not interested in all the frills

Here's what it does need:

Decent speed
Half decent overclockability (Is that a word?) in the BIOS (I like the Soltek boards for that even though I haven't tried them out but it sounds good)
Decent price (Not looking for a $200CDN board here)
AMD Processor (Preferrably able to handle 2100+ and higher up to the current 2600+)

Given those parameters .....

How's the NForce boards looking? Anyone tried the Soltek Red Storm O/C?

It's going to be a dedicated cruncher in my current farm. No case, HD or Monitor or anything.

dodgygeeeza
14th November 2002, 11:51 PM
i'm using a soltek mobo, no frills but very stable and a fairly cheap board, the red storm o/c is a bit hit and miss.. i always use the dips and bios for o/c..my machine runs 24hrs 7days a week crunching g@h.. built it end of march 2002 and crunched over 12000 woots to date;)

CyberdynSystems
15th November 2002, 12:58 AM
^7,
this is 80% of my fleet right here;

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=KG7RAID

Yes it has raid, but for $47.00!!! C'mon!

I have purchased a total of 8 of these in the last 5 months, and used them for Client PCs and my "Node Farm" With a Bios flash they handle XP's at least up to the XP2200+ (maybe more, don't know yet)

I'm loving them with XP1600 and XP1700 at $55.00 a pop. Thats a hundred bucks for a 3.5 hour woot. There Abit, so there born to OC.

^7_of_9
15th November 2002, 03:23 AM
Take a look at the price for that same board here: http://www.altecmicro.com/Mainboards.html :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's a RIDICULOUS price difference!!!

CyberdynSystems
15th November 2002, 04:23 AM
That's a RIDICULOUS price difference!!!

This is what I'm talking about! Thats why I have grabbed 8 of them.

These are new boards! Granted the going price seems to be more around $90.00 to $100.00. No idea what they are thinking at $200.00!?!?!?! They were about 130.00 when they originally hit the market. But these Boards are "Surplus" simply beacuase of the Bios revision. And if they were VIA KT133 of the same era, they would be obsolete, because the old VIA won't do an Athlon XP! These do!!! And the AMD 761 is if anything more stable than the VIA KT266

Heres the thing, use ,em as nodes, then becuase they really are great all around boards, when someone wants me to build a PC I grab a node board and cpu and memory allready "Burned in and tested" slam it in a box with a pair of hard drives, and charge extra for the RAID 1!!!!!

I just keep buying more. Two more arived yesterday. (both allready sold)

If there is a shipping to Canada issue at Computer Geeks, let me know, and I can be the go between for you.

^7_of_9
15th November 2002, 05:24 AM
YGPM

CyberdynSystems
15th November 2002, 06:04 AM
Sorry it took so long,.. was writing commentary! :D